Career Officer
# 1 Jem'Hadar shroud concern
07-18-2012, 05:45 PM
At some point in the distant future, I will be using this set for a specific Dominion character (Jem'Hadar tactical):

Jem Hadar Ground Set

But this ability (or rather, the way it functions) is disappointing:

Jem'Hadar Shroud

I initially thought it would be a click power, like Distortion Field, but it's completely uncontrolled!

This is what I found disappointing.

Presumably, a Jem'Hadar character will have the Shroud trait on his own, probably an Optional Trait.

But I wanted the ability to be on his set, not a personal trait.

But only if it was controllable!

If he keeps phasing in and out during battle, i don't like that!

And also, it doesn't work like that during the show.
The Jem'Hadar choose when to Shroud, it's controlled.

Could you please revise this set bonus to be a click power instead?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
07-18-2012, 05:50 PM
wait..BO's can now use set powers? When did they fix that? Use to be putting a set on a BO was wasted because they couldn't/wouldn't ever pop the buff.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah I agree that it would be nice to make it a clickable on/off ability like a ship cloak. I wear the set currently and it's a bit distracting when you Shroud in combat. Maybe its like this to set it apart from Stealth.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Career Officer
# 4
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Pretty hard to even tell if the BO is using that set or not. I would say put it on your non Jem'Hadar BO and see if the shroud still works before going any further.
You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online!
Career Officer
# 5
07-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
wait..BO's can now use set powers? When did they fix that? Use to be putting a set on a BO was wasted because they couldn't/wouldn't ever pop the buff.
Not exactly, it only currently partially works because the shroud effect is a random proc. If it was a triggered ability BOFFs wouldn't be able to use it as you already mentioned. One of the developers commented on this a number of weeks ago.
Career Officer
# 6
07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Presumably, a Jem'Hadar character will have the Shroud trait on his own, probably an Optional Trait.

It's a trait, not a skill, and it's on a prefab BOff... so why would it matter? Especially when BOffs don't use set abilities and thus couldn't otherwise take advantage of it. If you just want it on the Jemmy for the sake of "canon" well... he's got it covered.

Quote:
And he has the trait for that. And also you can pick up 10 Portable Shroud Generators every time you finish Of Bajor, and he will use those, and that will bolster the effect (since I do believe the trait is active with a cooldown).

Besides which does the Tactical/Stealth/Exploit one-shotting problem still exist and apply to the Shroud? If so it's probably not wise to add more controllable stealth to the game.
# 7
07-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
At some point in the distant future, I will be using this set for a specific Dominion character (Jem'Hadar tactical):

Jem Hadar Ground Set

But this ability (or rather, the way it functions) is disappointing:

Jem'Hadar Shroud

I initially thought it would be a click power, like Distortion Field, but it's completely uncontrolled!

This is what I found disappointing.

But only if it was controllable!

If he keeps phasing in and out during battle, i don't like that!

And also, it doesn't work like that during the show.

Could you please revise this set bonus to be a click power instead?
I know how you feel. Sometimes I don't know where my bridge officer is when he does that. I wish we were able to customize him because sometimes I'll mistake him for a bad guy when I play missions against the jem'hadar.
Career Officer
# 8
07-18-2012, 07:53 PM
BOFFs do use Set abilities.

My Breen tac has an MK11 Omega Shield and Armor, he does activate the Distortion Field on his own.

And you misunderstood.

The Jem'Hadar I am referring to is NOT the BOFF.
Or a Custom Alien either.

If we ever get a Dominion Faction (or a faction that allows you to create playable Jem'Hadar), that is the character I meant.

And for canon sake, I want him to use all the Dominion Tech he can get his hands on.
Including this ground set.

But I'm going to find it quite annoying if I don't have control of the set Shroud ability.
Plus, it will essentially be redundant.
If he can Shroud on his own, why does the Set need to provide it as well?
I'd prefer it just to be on the set and controllable, that way, I can free up a Trait slot for something else.

Also, I hate consumable items.
Like the portable shroud generators.
Career Officer
# 9
07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
If we ever get a Dominion Faction (or a faction that allows you to create playable Jem'Hadar), that is the character I meant.
If we ever get a Dominion faction do you really think we'll be farming Dominion sets from a mission where we have to go through the wormhole to get the aid of the Dominion and bargain with Dominion "enemies" for their respect and cooperation? Doesn't really make much sense, does it? That's not likely a series of missions that a Dominion faction, nor one with Dominion members, would be given access to. And moreover, as a Dominion faction they'd get access to Dominion gear, and their "ultimate sets" would dispense (with grind) via STFs like they do for the KDF and UFP.

Beyond that, if we ever do get that faction it will be ages off as Romulans are next in line, so there's no sense in worrying about it now.

And we're not likely to see any Jem'hadar playable captains in alternate factions in anything resembling the near future either since Dstahl doesn't seem to have ruled out the Cardassians/Dominion as a playable faction, and disseminating the ships and species of those factions isn't likely to happen unless/until he does. He's stated as much in the past and backed it up recently when asked about a D'Deridex showing up in a lockbox.

And yes, there are the original lockbox ships but they're very specific exceptions as they occurred while he was with another company and Stephen D'Angelo was at the helm of STO.

So either way you have no worries because barring a miracle of Earth shattering proportions it will likely be years before we see Jem'hadar captains (if we ever do).
# 10
07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, you actually don't have to worry about some future Jem toon. He won't be able to get the Jem set since, judging from all the frustrated posters and the deafening silence in the patch notes, "Second Wave" is never going to get fixed so you won't be able to claim the polaron rifle.