# 1 Star Trek TV Series Chatter...
07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
See this...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/new...the-works.html

I hope they do a live TV series soon.
Lieutenant
# 2
07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I'd tend to agree...though I agree more with one of the commenters on the article: 'prime' Trek or no Trek.
However, given the source of the story and the fact they now seem to be in charge of the franchise, I can't really see them leaving the Alternate stuff for films only.
I for one would love to see Trek return to TV...but it could easily be a case of 'Be careful what you wish for'.

(As for the article...there was always a 'hunger' for Trek. It just needed a little break after Voyager and, with respect, a better idea/execution than Enterprise could ever offer - all my worst fears about that show were realised, sad to say.)
Empire Veteran
# 3
07-19-2012, 09:43 AM
The major problem is you have these new people putting their greedy paws on things like Star Trek and they have no idea what it is even about. It's why there is the common saying learn your history do not repeat past mistakes... that is what the animated series is a mistake.

I'd just agree to let them keep their hands off Star Trek and go make their decade of 1 series wonder shows. Pretty much what I have realized with Star Trek gone and more recently Stargate being canned that any new sci fi show that comes out is more than likely going to be made by these guys that will get you going and then get the show cancelled before the story gets anywhere (ex:SGU, The Event, Terra Nova, etc).

This reboot crap though its not much any different than Enterprise was... I am sure in the movie you will see Cardassian, Klingon, and Ferrengi Starfleet officers in this new TOS era just because JJ might like it LOL.
Career Officer
# 4
07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
The network execs will be looking to see how well JJ Trek 2 does before they consider a new TV series, animated or not.

Now that it's been confirmed Benedict Cumberbatch will play Khan in the next movie I think it will be a flop. There's no way in hell he will match Ricardo Montalban's performance. Even though it's confirmed the movie won't be a re-hash of Space Seed I have zero faith they will do the original characters or plots justice. Not to mention that Khan should NOT be Caucasian!

This is a mistake. Even non-Trek fans know Wrath of Khan is the best Trek Movie. They will use Khan as a marketing ploy to generate more interest knowing the character and plot they have created won't come close to the original and will be entirely different.

Unless they do something spectacular with Khan that Trekkers and general sci-fi fans with both enjoy the sequel may be the final nail in the coffin for another TV series.
Empire Veteran
# 5
07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
The odd part if they try to redo this Wrath of Khan with a young cast it seriously shows how much they are out to destroy Trek Canon. Since the enterprise was in moth ball condition during Wrath of Khan and right now in the reboot its brand new with new starship smell still on it.
Career Officer
# 6
07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
The odd part if they try to redo this Wrath of Khan with a young cast it seriously shows how much they are out to destroy Trek Canon. Since the enterprise was in moth ball condition during Wrath of Khan and right now in the reboot its brand new with new starship smell still on it.
Oh the writers have admitted that already:

Quote:
"So now you want the character stories to be good for everybody but also not just be there to be stories but also fit into the plot and be organic. We're looking at a lot of the old episodes for inspiration, still. Whereas the last movie was all about breaking free from 'Star Trek' and its canon, now that we can do whatever we want, we still want it to feel like good ol' 'Star Trek' even though it's a new story."
Source: Star Trek 2′ Writers Reveal They've Broken the Story

It was destroyed in the first movie because they wanted "a new sandbox to play in". That's why a Reboot Khan will be a flop and just may kill a new TV series along with it.

Last edited by eagledraco; 07-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Captain
# 7
07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
They should defiantly do a star trek series based in the primeverse or they will lose alot of hardcore fans which make up most of the fan base. I agree also they should look it the the past, learn you hisotry, so they can not repeat the same mistakes and learn something.
Captain
# 8
07-19-2012, 05:37 PM
After a few episodes of Lost, I became convinced that the series had no direction, and the writers had no idea what they wanted to do with it. Then I watched the series finale, and realized...

....That I had missed nothing.

Now tell me, is the creator of such a series to be trusted with what's been one of the most beloved science fiction franchises for the past 40+ years?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Lieutenant
# 9
07-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I would much rather have one starting just after Nemesis, say about 2383. I wish they could bring Data back though
Plato Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Lieutenant
# 10
07-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
After a few episodes of Lost, I became convinced that the series had no direction, and the writers had no idea what they wanted to do with it. Then I watched the series finale, and realized...

....That I had missed nothing.

Now tell me, is the creator of such a series to be trusted with what's been one of the most beloved science fiction franchises for the past 40+ years?
Hm. I wish I'd had the same insight...or been around someplace for you to tell me that. 20+ hours for 5-6 years of my life - Lost.

And...Fringe...another thing of "We already know exactly how it all goes!", and then it becomes apparent that they never had Clue One.
At this point, I have to say that new Trek a) wouldn't be prime and b) might make some of Voyager's storylines look plausible, if not like staggering works of genius (re: the whole 'deal with the Borg' stuff - the Borg would have been a bit "OK. The deal is we assimilate you and send the cube you're on back to Earth. How's that?").