Captain
# 21
07-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Yes PW is ruining STO. It's getting so bad when I played the Nukara medium maps for an hour. I ONLY got 3 Tholian lockboxes. What the hell? Can't I got more than an hour without getting 3 lockboxes?

But it wasn't enough to ruin Star Trek for me, now PWE is out to ruin my life.

This morning when I woke up, PWE managed to replace my bed with a lockbox. Then when I went to wash up, my washroom was replaced with a lockbox.

I wanted some coffee but my kitchen was replaced with a lockbox. They even turned my dog into a lockbox, all he does is go "Box box! Buy key stupid customer human!"

Then when I stepped outside, they patched my house into a lockbox. Even my car was nerfed into a lockbox. Even my neighbors were zenned into lockboxes.

You're going to hear from my lawyer PWE, to hell with you! He's even going to bill me in lockboxes now?

The eastern lockbox horde is out to lockbox us poor defenseless western mmo fans, lockbox yourself before you lockbox lockbox lockbox, lockbox!

Lockbox!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Captain
# 22
07-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorrlan View Post
oh and while we are at it they are immersion breaking:
-How can you store SPACE SHIPS in lock boxes?
You don't. However you can store the right to fly one in a lock box.

Quote:
-Why cant I transport out whats inside?
Because transporters only work where they advance the plot. It is well established in canon that there are various substances that will block a scan or a transporter beam. This is to allow the writers to answer the very question you are asking.

Quote:
-In real trek just 1 or 2 of such ships would cause diplomatic disaster,Starfleet would never allow the usage of galors etc.
Klingons and Romulans used exactly the same hulls for quite a while without their civilizations breaking down. There is an ongoing extended war with the Borg, there is war with the Klingons, with the Romulans (via the Iconians), with the Undine, and True Way.

Captured or salvaged equipment does get adapted and used in wartime as does purchased equipment. You know how many nations were using American or Canadian built Sherman Tanks by the end of WWII? Rather a lot.

Quote:
-Where they come from?Dont tell me that all cardassian war factories are working day and night just to supply the federation players with galors
etc. I could write at least 100 more
See my immediate prior point. At the start of the Devidian story arc, you capture a Galor. The ship is completely intact.

Which brings me back to this point:

Quote:
(as economist I have better than average understanding about how the market works in online games)
There are a lot of economists in the world. Being an economist should give you a better understanding, but that only works if you put in the extra time to study the situation in detail. It sounds from your other comments than you have not.
Captain
# 23
07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenhawk View Post
Just so you know you blaming a game,you want to blame it on PWE.

PW is a game,PWE is the company that make/runs the game(If I remember right) .
Cryptic makes/runs the game, except for the account/billing aspects.

PWE is the North American subsidiary of PWC that owns Cryptic. (And also Runic).

PWC = Perfect Word Co, Ltd.
PWE = Perfect World Enertainment
# 24
07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
This lockbox insanity has ruined STO for me. My opinion on that practice is that it's extremely underhanded and a cheap way of expoiting your customers. I've stopped playing STO now completely as i refuse to continue to support a company that employs this practice.
Commander
# 25
07-20-2012, 12:29 PM
PWE has implemented an eastern business model into a westen game which meets with denial and scepticism. I hate that, too, but it is here to stay.

When I'm online I see all the headers who just a ship and paid Cryptic. Then I try to think where all this money is going. From the lag, server issues, broken ques, missions and bugs the money goes directly to PWE, not into STO anymore.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Commander
# 26
07-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignman View Post
<some stuff>

I wanted some coffee but my kitchen was replaced with a lockbox. They even turned my dog into a lockbox, all he does is go "Box box! Buy key stupid customer human!"

The eastern lockbox horde is out to lockbox us poor defenseless western mmo fans, lockbox yourself before you lockbox lockbox lockbox, lockbox!

Lockbox!
This made me lol. Thanks I needed a good laugh.

Arawn - SOB
Op *is* the new balance whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
Season 6: Wallets Under Siege online now!
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-20-2012, 01:42 PM
All these PWE is evil type threads make me laugh. Lets face, none of us, outside of Cryptic/PWE know who's making what decisions regarding the financial aspects of the game.

Secondly, in order to get *any* content, Cryptic needs to make money on STO. If lockboxes/masterkeys make money and keep development active to some degree or other, than I can live with them. Further to that, the Tholian boxes are much less intrusive, dropping far less often and judging by the key prices, more popular. In this case, it seems that someone has indeed taken our feedback on board and listened, as they said they would.
Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
Career Officer
# 28
07-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachenhaut01 View Post
How about those marks they took away and never replaced (1), or wheres my va ship token (2), oh that's right I already got one you know before that reward existed, biggest con ever that one, how about those ships they took out of the ship store and put them soly on the cstore (3). I'm sure there's a lot more, but that's a start
(1) Check your unrefined dilithium balance. Protest about the conversion rate if you will, but if you had currency over the cap then you got further compensation.
(2) 600 day veteran reward. If you already got one on a character, you expect a free handout for that same character?
(3) And? How is this a relevant point. They need to sell things to keep the game going you know - people who already bought them are unaffected. People who wanted to get them before they went cstore - were informed in advance.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachenhaut01 View Post
How about those marks they took away and never replaced, or wheres my va ship token, oh that's right I already got one you know before that reward existed, biggest con ever that one, how about those ships they took out of the ship store and put them soly on the cstore. I'm sure there's a lot more, but that's a start
1.) They converted the marks to dilithium. If you were over the threshold, they gave you some very unique BOs to compensate. Instead of marks that had to be used for certain level gear, you could buy non-level gated merchandise with dilithium. This is called an improvement.

2.) VA ship token - as a LTS subscriber you still get a VA ship token for every toon you level to VA as part of the 600 day bonus. Again, as a LTS, you haven't lost anything.

3.) They took them out of the ship store (EC) and put them in the C-store (Now Zen). You can convert dilithium you earn in game to zen and buy C-store ships. You still haven't lost anything.

Try again.
Career Officer
# 30
07-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Regarding the idea that 1 or 2 such ships would cause a diplomatic disaster...

So far the ships have been:

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship
Cardassian Galor
Ferengi D'Kora

These factions are all composed of warring groups with loyalties to both the Feds and KDF. In each case, an explanation was concocted.

The Jem'Hadar ship was one of the 2800 that the Prophets made disappear.

The Galor was awarded to the Feds and KDF by the Cardassian government.

Quark is selling D'Koras to both sides.

The Tholian and Mirror ships are different but there is no diplomatic contact or intent of diplomacy there. The Tholian ships are captured warships and the Mirror ships are ships that were retrieved from Tholian capture, much like the Terran Empire took command of a lost Federation Constitution Class in the 22nd century.

Moreover, there are plenty of examples in the shows of captured ships being used for special operations (in particular, a Jem'Hadar ship).

In the books, it's even looser and the Federation has been known to trade or gift decommissioned ships to third parties for use as cargo ships or private security, including the Enterprise-A. There's some evidence of this onscreen in the form of heavily reused models like the Peregrine fighter.

By and large, the big reasons we didn't see more of this on the shows was not because it went against the IP but because:

- Uniform ships make for a nice visual shorthand for who's fighting on what side
- Almost all of the existing models were Fed ships
- The cost of using a variety of models was prohibitive

Now... I said this back when lockboxes came out and I still think it would be a good option but I'd imagine Starfleet would tend to recommission any such ships into Duranium-colored grey designs with blue deflectors and blue and red nacelles, for visual ID purposes. Here, you have a big blue name and name over everyone's head so it isn't essential...

... But in a perfect world, I'd at least like to see Lockbox ships get a texture added in with faction appropriate colors.