Career Officer
# 1 Borg - Adapting to Cryogenics?
07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Currently, there are 2 weapons that deal cold damage in the game:

Compressed Cryo Launcher
CRM 200

I haven't used the CRM 200, but I did use the Cryo Launcher against the Borg.

And was quite surprised to see they are "adapting" to it!

Cryogenic weapons are NOT energy weapons, so why the Borg adapt to them?

They either fire a cloud of freezing gas or chill the environment around the beam as a secondary effect.

Temperature drops do not have energy frequencies, so it's impossible for the Borg to adapt to essentially what is a freezing effect.

I seriously think the Borg's ability to adapt to "environmental weapons" such as these should be removed.
Lieutenant
# 2
07-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Well that's the point of the Borg they adapt cmon it don't have to be perfect
Phasers set to fun since 2010 -- http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16340871
Empire Veteran
# 3
07-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately, as I learned in another thread, cold damage is considered energy damage in terms of gameplay mechanics, and thus the Borg can adapt to them.

That said, I do agree, as long as the removal of their adapting to it wouldn't make like STFs or anything against the Borg too easy.
Captain
# 4
07-21-2012, 01:08 AM
That's nothing... My sci was using skills against them (radiation, thermal inversion) and they ADAPTED TO THOSE in 1 hit without me ever firing a shot. Had to remodulate like 3 times never fired once.

Fix this crap.

Even folks that just SHOOT them have to re-frakking-modulate every second shot. No kidding. Had an entire messed-up STF ground mission where everyone had to remodulate so often it was quite the cause for chat-based-griping. We all thought it was fubar.
Captain
# 5
07-21-2012, 02:03 AM
In terms of adapting to stuff that normally wouldn't be considered energy: In canon, the Borg shields eventually adapt to pretty much everything that can hurt them. Technically, they should be adapting to stuff like bullets and blades, as well. There's a reason why the Borg have assimilated half the friggin galaxy
Career Officer
# 6 Borg Adapting Principles
07-21-2012, 02:23 AM
As far as Borg are concerned, kinetic attacks is their achilles heel.

They consider swords and bullets too "primitive" to bother defending themselves against.
Unfortunately, for Borg Drones, this means if someone has access to weapons like this, the Borg won't last long!

Bullets, blades, even hand-to-hand combat has proven fatal to the Borg.
B'elanna Torres attacked the Borg with a access panel cover once and defeated them!

Not once has it been shown that the Borg have any interest or inclination to protect themselves from "physical weapons".

Also, I believe Borg shields operate on a "capitance principle".
They absorb/dissipate all energy fields directed at them.
But this shield, even on Borg vessels, has never protected them from physical impact.
Because capacitors are useless unless the energy being directed at them has a "charge" and physical objects are uncharged in the conventional sense.

Good thing they never encountered Mass Driver technology (Mass Effect) or they wouldn't have lasted long!
Mass Driver coils accelerate solid objects to relavistic velocities and well, you can see what that would do to the Borg!
A missile is nothing more sophisicated then a 20 kilogram weight, a bullet is a metal particle the size of a sand grain.

So, in conclusion, the Borg are never going to be protected from kinetic attacks.
Career Officer
# 7
07-21-2012, 02:30 AM
I think its reasonable that they adapt to 'cold' damage, although, I find that term is abhorrent.

From my understanding of Physics (lol exactly), if the Borg have the capacity to adapt to frequency and wavelength changes in the electromagnetic spectrum (such things being the hallmark variables of energy weapons in particular) then given 'heat' or the absence of heat, 'cold', is just another temperature gradient (higher frequency EM waves and radiation), they should conceivably be able to adapt to it. At least thats my understanding of it.

In which case, Borg adaption is really powerful (not to even touch upon the biological/chemical based adaption capabilities).
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 8
07-21-2012, 08:22 AM
I really doubt they can.

There's an Enterprise episode where the Borg "die" because their vessel crashes into the north pole and they're frozen solid.

It's not until they're defrosted that their nanites can reactivate them.

So, based on this evidence, I would assume that the Borg are as vulnerable to extreme cold as anyone else.

Somehow they survive in space, but different physics principles apply there.
It's harder for body heat to be leeched in space and the radiation levels cook you anyway, so I would assume that being in space is something they can resist.

And cold doesn't really have frequencies, as I've said, it's natural.
Captain
# 9
07-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
I really doubt they can.

There's an Enterprise episode where the Borg "die" because their vessel crashes into the north pole and they're frozen solid.

It's not until they're defrosted that their nanites can reactivate them.

So, based on this evidence, I would assume that the Borg are as vulnerable to extreme cold as anyone else.

Somehow they survive in space, but different physics principles apply there.
It's harder for body heat to be leeched in space and the radiation levels cook you anyway, so I would assume that being in space is something they can resist.

And cold doesn't really have frequencies, as I've said, it's natural.
There could have been other issues there though, like they could have been damaged in the crash and their systems were not up to handling the cold in addition to whatever other self repair they needed.
Captain
# 10
07-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera View Post
There could have been other issues there though, like they could have been damaged in the crash and their systems were not up to handling the cold in addition to whatever other self repair they needed.
Sounds more reasonable than just cold being a factor. It makes sense to expect Borg to be more efficient in cold climates due to them being part machine. Also, cold is the easiest damage type to adapt to since it only requires activating a few heating elements.