Empire Veteran
# 11
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Being a Science character, I see the Borg adapting to Hyporenic Radiation (or however it's spelled), but only after it's infected all of their group, and gone at least 5 rounds of small damage Which I knew was coming, but it served it's purpose.

One thing I saw though, is that when I use Exothermic Induction Field... they DON'T adapt to it's fire damage (I've tried this ten times in a row on Borg NPC's... but no adaption). Considering cold is considered energy damage, wouldn't fire be as well?
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'. I have nothing against the game/devs, nor any particular wish to talk bad about either, or praise most decisions. Still, it's better to be positive than cynical.
Captain
# 12
07-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Sounds more reasonable than just cold being a factor. It makes sense to expect Borg to be more efficient in cold climates due to them being part machine. Also, cold is the easiest damage type to adapt to since it only requires activating a few heating elements.
Exactly. It seems exceedingly unlikely they have never invaded a cold climate before.
Captain
# 13
07-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Being a Science character, I see the Borg adapting to Hyporenic Radiation (or however it's spelled), but only after it's infected all of their group, and gone at least 5 rounds of small damage Which I knew was coming, but it served it's purpose.

One thing I saw though, is that when I use Exothermic Induction Field... they DON'T adapt to it's fire damage (I've tried this ten times in a row on Borg NPC's... but no adaption). Considering cold is considered energy damage, wouldn't fire be as well?
Some or all of that is game mechanics, but....

Fire is actually harder to adapt to than cold. You might be able to absorb some of the heat energy or reflect some away but insulating to keep heat in is almost always more efficient than doing so to keep heat out.
Career Officer
I wonder if it is technically viable for the Borg to install an internal thermogenerator in their drones.

It would be complicated to do so, since organic tissues have a very narrow temperature range (36-38 degrees celsuis).

If a Borg possessed such a device internally, it would cook their organic components and kill them.

On the other hand, if the devices were installed in their armor and not inside their bodies, that would be more feasible.

But a rapid drop in temperature is more severe then a gradual decline.

The Borg's synthetic components would become brittle and shatter.
Their organic tissues would suffer "freezer burn" and become necrotic.

A Borg might be able to cope with a gradual decline in temperature, but no matter what kind of heating apparatus they had, it wouldn't cope very well with a sudden drop to below zero.
Heck, it'd explode like a bomb and kill the drone anyway!

And since Cryogenic weapons are designed specifically to drop the temperature below zero in a few seconds, this would be too much for a Borg drone to cope with.
Empire Veteran
# 15
07-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
I wonder if it is technically viable for the Borg to install an internal thermogenerator in their drones.

It would be complicated to do so, since organic tissues have a very narrow temperature range (36-38 degrees celsuis).

If a Borg possessed such a device internally, it would cook their organic components and kill them.

On the other hand, if the devices were installed in their armor and not inside their bodies, that would be more feasible.

A Borg might be able to cope with a gradual decline in temperature, but no matter what kind of heating apparatus they had, it wouldn't cope very well with a sudden drop to below zero.

And since Cryogenic weapons are designed specifically to drop the temperature below zero in a few seconds, this would be too much for a Borg drone to cope with.
Tell that to STO's borg They're adapting to cyro cold left and right, but when you use fire damage from Exothermic Induction Field... they don't adapt to that.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'. I have nothing against the game/devs, nor any particular wish to talk bad about either, or praise most decisions. Still, it's better to be positive than cynical.
Empire Veteran
# 16
07-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Heat would be the opposite on the Borg, they would 'cook' inside of their armor and such, because the metal is heating up, not to mention their bodies and every last cybernetic componant on top of all that. So things might start malfunctioning, breaking down, etc because of it.

My thought is...the Borg must be adapting to the METHOD of cold being applied, not the cold itself. Like there is obviously something happening that would cause the sudden, almost instant drop of temperature. a mixture of chemicals, an energy that 'sucks up' heat energy, something like that. That is something they could possibly adapt to as well, thus needing the remodulation.

It is a thoughts which mostly fits what we know about the cold weapons, so it probably has quite a few holes in it.
Empire Veteran
# 17
07-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Heat would be the opposite on the Borg, they would 'cook' inside of their armor and such, because the metal is heating up, not to mention their bodies and every last cybernetic componant on top of all that. So things might start malfunctioning, breaking down, etc because of it.

My thought is...the Borg must be adapting to the METHOD of cold being applied, not the cold itself. Like there is obviously something happening that would cause the sudden, almost instant drop of temperature. a mixture of chemicals, an energy that 'sucks up' heat energy, something like that. That is something they could possibly adapt to as well, thus needing the remodulation.

It is a thoughts which mostly fits what we know about the cold weapons, so it probably has quite a few holes in it.
That might just be it though

Cold hurts them as any other energy weapon, but because they're half metal, the metal keeps working, i'm assuming because it has a very low freezing point... hence how they adapt to it.

Fire, on the other hand, is hurting the organic and metal aspects, interfering with the adaptation process.

Captain
# 18
07-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post

Aren't you making a lot of assumptions regarding the properties of borg tech? Based on what we do know, they would take losses from the first couple hits, but the data would be sent back to the collective and processed. The next time, their systems would know precisely how much and how fast to compensate.

And cold based weapons would not be as easy to remodulate as energy weapons.
Career Officer
# 19
07-22-2012, 02:36 AM
I really doubt it.

The Borg can remodulate to energy all they like, but altering immutable laws of biology and physics, doubtful.

Unless they were pumping their drones full of antifreeze (which would require them to cart around vats of the liquid) and heating up their bodies prior to the impact of the "cold snap", there's not a lot they could do in preparation.

And well, cold temperatures impacting a heated object=explosion.

Not to mention that raising the body temperature of the Borg would cause "heat death" of the
organic components.

As I understand it, we're not hitting them with the beam directly, we're hitting them with the secondary effect of the weapon.
It's like using a targeting laser to hit a target with a missile, the beam doesn't hurt them, but the effect the beam has on the surrounding environment does.
Career Officer
# 20
07-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Built-in heating elements. Now back to you. How are you going to remodulate your snow cannon to get past that?

In all seriousness though, you shouldn't press the 'makes sense' point of fighting Borg with chilliness too much. We've seen these things walk around on the hull of starships without so much as a sweater, and space has been known to be a little nippy from time to time. Be glad that your frosty supersoaker does any damage at all.
Reave