Starfleet Veteran
# 161
08-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtarg View Post
...ok, so just what is he good for then?
He was very good at not waiting for responding to hail. That sped things up quite a bit by not waiting for people to "answer the phone" in a tense situation.
Rihannsu
# 162
08-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Ah... that Worf gets PWNed video made me laugh... it has multiple clips of several fights, and conveniently cuts out where he pummeled his opponent..... heh, one of the clips shows a guy getting up after Worf he almost knocked him out cold...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 163
08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtarg View Post
Speaking of Worf losing fights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc5EIvdRCqA

Ok, so maybe Worf is terrible at fighting. But at the very least he's a senior officer with valuable insight and useful advice for Captain Picard and his fellow officers...right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

...ok, so just what is he good for then?
My friends and I still use the term "Worf Syndrome", for whenever a character that is supposedly tough gets his tail handed to him JUST so another character (usually Data, in Worf's case) can look really REALLY tough when he one-shots the bad guy. :-)

Seriously, Worf got beat down soooooo many times, just so Data would look more impressive when he beat down the thing that just kicked Worf's butt.

That said, Worf was really good a kicking other Klingon butts (not only did he kill one would-be Chancellor, Duras, he later killed the actual ruling Chancellor, Gowron, both in one-on-one duels).

Once Worf got on DS9, he got a lot better, pretty much peaking when he beat multiple Jem'Hadar to DEATH, one-by-one, all bare-handed.

Still, he had to endure a lot of jobbing to put Data over on his way there.
Commander
# 164
08-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Actually speaking of fights.

The Klingons boarding in Way of the Warrior. They were absolutely useless. Aside from the fact that they wait until at least 4 of them have been shot before remembering to draw their disruptors (should beam aboard with them drawn), Klingons are supposed to be one of the strongest races in the Galaxy. Yet a Human, a Trill, and a Bajoran are able to beat up 3 a piece with like 1 hit each (seriously, Dax KO'd one by kicking him in the shin). I know Starfleet give their officers some self-defence training, but surely the KDF do too, and Klingons grow up in a warrior culture that puts a lot of emphasis on single combat. Klingons should've wiped the floor with them.

Did Changeling Martok (spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched all of DS9, btw) send his reject squad over or something?
Career Officer
# 165
08-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Probably - along with the ones who were politically inconvenient, served dead gagh at breakfast and couldn't shoot straight. Classic forlorn hope really.

Edit: Although a competent boarding action would start by beaming in a large-ish shrapnel bomb with half a second on the fuse...
Blatant self-promotion: Producer of the Delta Rising Tribble Timewarp, Foundry Frolics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Yuzral
Captain
# 166
08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
For me it has to be a scene in Enterprise after T'Pol attends movie night:

"Captain, I'm picking up biosigns. In the words of Dr. Frankenstein, it's alive!"

Even the most diehard of Ent supporters have cringe at that.
Career Officer
# 167
08-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
For me it has to be a scene in Enterprise after T'Pol attends movie night:

"Captain, I'm picking up biosigns. In the words of Dr. Frankenstein, it's alive!"

Even the most diehard of Ent supporters have cringe at that.
That actually doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is TNG and Data.

I'm a diehard Voy fan and I think it gets a bad wrap undeservedly especially when the main gripe is its inconsistencies, wheres TNG seemingly gets away with it. You can find enough inconsistencies with Data himself and all the plots that surround him to blow Voy away.

Really? The most advanced peice of AI ever can't use contractions? He can learn new languages, some not even humaniod, but can't use contractions? His advanced intelligence can't issue a simple IF/THEN in his programming language? IF can not, THEN can't. Wow. my cell phone can do that.

Also... the whole "Data is special" argument in so far as that him and his intelligence can't be duplicated. Pretty sure its called a schematic gentlemen. Scan, Replicate, Duplicate.

I could go on and on, but those are two of my biggest pet peeves and stupid moments in trek.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Real Join Date: Oct. 2009

Last edited by greenlightracer; 08-07-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Captain
# 168
08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Data has no schematics because the egomaniac that made him kept the schematics in his head, the Pinocchio routine with Data got old fast but the whole 1st season of TNG had me wishing that the bridge of the Enterprise D would get hit by a meteor killing all aboard so they could start fresh with a crew that wasn't lobotomized.
Things really didn't get interesting for me until after they had killed off Tasha Yar.

For me Star Treks most stupid moment was the entire series Enterprise, the only good episode IMHO were the alternate universe ones and my favorite moment was when Hoshi poisons Archer.
Rihannsu
# 169
08-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually... Data's positronic brain was a peice of tech unknown to Starfleet science until they encountered Data. Also... they couldn't seem to figure out how to get it to have an active network of pathways.... Replicating the physical components apparently wasn't too hard, the issue was avoiding a cascade failure when turning it on.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 170
08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
the WHOLE temporal cold war in Enterprise I mean come on there was SOOO much more to write about like the damn EARTH-romulan war!!!! and the building of the federation ect but to put in races that NEVER talked about or shown in ANY other star trek! xindi, Denobulan, Suliban, ect. I mean really come on when you are a prequel don't ADD races explore the ones you ALREADY have. still Temporal cold war was stupid and just a lazy cop-out.