Career Officer
# 91
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Especially the first; if we could just pick a crew uniform, even if it was nothing but a list "TOS, TNG, TNG Movie, 2409, etc", most of the people unhappy with interiors would be MUCH happier.

That other stuff would be even better, but that one thing would be relatively easy to implement and would be HUGE for the folks who want to hang out in their ships.

It's a low-hanging watermelon.
That's a really interesting idea. Selecting from a list would probably be quite doable because then they'd just need to place full crews on the ship interiors in a variety of uniforms and have us basically just go somewhere on our ship and select a dialogue option that causes the selected type to spawn and the others to be hidden.

It's a bit more intensive on the content guys but probably less prone to breaking.
Captain
# 92
09-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Overall, I think it's better to focus on allowing players to build good missions more quickly and with less technical know-how than spend time supporting highly technical use.

What you're looking at is NICE but in that realm where you should be going for a job at Cryptic rather than pushing the Foundry towards being a full development tool that is cumbersome to use.
Well, we know that we're getting more assets. We finally got some recently. But, instead of giving us good and useful stuff, we got random glass panels and banners.

And a custom interior builder would probably be an entirely different way of building with rooms as the props. We could still use the interior legos in so many, many different ways.

If they would just take the standard interior, break it up into tunnels and pieces, and throw it all into the foundry, we'd be happy for months and months. We'll take players through every nook and cranny of their starship.

But no, coming soon is probably a ponn farr statue, a SFA logo with no SFA walls or assets, and a plate of gahg as the only food item to use for Federation settings.
Captain
# 93
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Taco, are you referring to the NW interior builder with that 90 degree comment?

Why couldn't one of the room pieces be a curved corridor with doors on each end? The doors could be a 90 degree angles, but the room could be shaped like an curved L.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 94
09-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow, sorry, my "Spouting" comment was not meant in any offensive way, I just meant that it seemed a lot of people had latched onto the NW room layout tool and see that as a way to build ship interiors.

Kirkfat, That was what I was referring to. Yes, we could make huge single, curved hallway pieces with a door at either end. They would essentially qualify as a special type of room probably. I don't know if that would be at all compatible with the room/hallway layout tool we're talking about. I haven't had much of a chance to play with that yet.

Yes, you can take pieces that are meant to meet each other at 90 degrees, and kludge them together to make a rough curve, but that's really tedious and inefficient. We (devs) can't really get away with that on any large scale, as it will cause pretty horrendous performance issues, and make it very difficult to do some other things.

As for adding more assets to the foundry in general, is there a list of specific things that would be useful for you guys somewhere? We tend to just add whatever we've been working on that makes any kind of sense to add. I don't know of any time coming up to do a pass, but if we had a specific list of assets, it would be slightly more likely to get traction.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Career Officer
# 95
09-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Wow, sorry, my "Spouting" comment was not meant in any offensive way, I just meant that it seemed a lot of people had latched onto the NW room layout tool and see that as a way to build ship interiors.

Kirkfat, That was what I was referring to. Yes, we could make huge single, curved hallway pieces with a door at either end. They would essentially qualify as a special type of room probably. I don't know if that would be at all compatible with the room/hallway layout tool we're talking about. I haven't had much of a chance to play with that yet.

Yes, you can take pieces that are meant to meet each other at 90 degrees, and kludge them together to make a rough curve, but that's really tedious and inefficient. We (devs) can't really get away with that on any large scale, as it will cause pretty horrendous performance issues, and make it very difficult to do some other things.

As for adding more assets to the foundry in general, is there a list of specific things that would be useful for you guys somewhere? We tend to just add whatever we've been working on that makes any kind of sense to add. I don't know of any time coming up to do a pass, but if we had a specific list of assets, it would be slightly more likely to get traction.
I've got a mission planned that involves turrets, but there are no turret skins in the foundry. Also, I need to put in a *REAL* Galaxy-X NPC, but that's missing, too.
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Career Officer
# 96
09-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi taco

There's a couple threads listing what assets people want in the Foundry.

Here's one of them: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=330721

I have a question though, why would an asset not make sense to add to the foundry? I don't want to pretend to be know how it's all done on your side but to me it just looks like you need to add a model and maybe a hit box. As an author I'd like it if everything you guys were releasing as STO content was available in the Foundry at the same time
Career Officer
# 97
09-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegavel View Post
I've got a mission planned that involves turrets, but there are no turret skins in the foundry. Also, I need to put in a *REAL* Galaxy-X NPC, but that's missing, too.
There are turrets! I know for sure there is an NPC contact costume which is a turret, but I think they added one as a detail object as well.
Captain
# 98
09-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the response.

This is the third time that a dev has asked for a list. We created list after list in the Foundry discussion area. I have started at least 3 of them during the past year and a half.

Any chance one of them can be stickied, so that when one of you guys want a list or want to look at a master list, there it is, and all of our previous lists don't eventually get buried?

Best response would probably be for a dev to start a new thread, and we'll respond. I heard through the grapevine that Zero was going to do that, so we'd have yet another list to create for you guys.

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-17-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 99
09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Let me see if I can explain without an illustration.

What I mean is: Cryptic could have a "room" that is a curved hallway, like an L-shape but more curved. It connects to other rooms or hallways at two points.

If it helps, imagine a room that is a square block of bulkhead with an L-shaped hallway carved through it.

If you position it with the bulkhead facing a room it's attached to, you get bulkhead or an error message. If you position it with the curved hallway, you get an opening into a curved hallway. Nothing could branch off from that curved hallway or at least not most of it. But you could place reasonable L-curves and have the hallways straighten out before leading off to doors.
Career Officer
# 100
09-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm wondering if a curved wall will cause issues with their "Doors Anywhere" tech