Cryptic Studios Team
# 121
09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
I'll definitely keep that (and this thread) in mind the next time I'm tasked with doing foundry asset tagging. It's not as simple as you'd think.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 122
09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks Taco
Lt. Commander
# 123
09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
That's coming soon (tm). Someone is actually working on that, I think.
If/when that happens, I'll be very happy. Until then I will continue to press the issue.
Captain
# 124
09-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I'll definitely keep that (and this thread) in mind the next time I'm tasked with doing foundry asset tagging. It's not as simple as you'd think.
Thanks Taco. here is an old list we made a long time ago.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...est+Primitives

I was also talking with Mapolis, who seemed to like the primitives tab idea. I still think it would be so useful. Basically, a tab to pick an untextured primitive, with a sub-menu to choose between 20 or so seamless textures, from stone to grass and carpet, etc. It would add so much without cluttering the list of assets.

Anyways, some of the other simpler requests are in that thread. You're right that we just don't know how much work it takes, but please ask yourself how long it would take for you to:

Make a plain and completely flat outdoor map with no audio effects, where we can build custom interiors.

Make an flat ground map that is nothing but water, so we can build water worlds.

Make a plain flat map with space all around it as the "sky," that we could build ship interiors with windows.

Make a set of transparent windows that are just squares. No curves etc. Just a few square and transparent windows with no logos.

Make a set of stairs.

These are some of our requests.

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-18-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Captain
# 125
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
No, we built the super base editor even before CoV (i.e. long before the sell off)

We heard very little praise back then for the editor, and got almost nothing but complaints. Our statistics showed that only about 10% of people used the base for anything other than a quick door to teleport around the rest of the world.

All of that is one reason we've been hesitant in doing it over again. We tried a new method with Hideouts in Champions, which seemed to be met with moderate success, but took a lot of work to build.

I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout. But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.

However, that is just my personal feelings on the matter, no work is being done on Interiors at the moment, and havent heard of it being added to the schedule at all. Plus, all of that would be a lot of work.
Funny you should say that Taco. I just spent TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS on a Regent, but I didnt get a Regent bridge or layout. Since Cryptic doesnt seem to think asking a player to give you $25 for a ship merits giving us at least a unique bridge to go with it, what do you all care what interior design we players may want for our ships? Cant have it both ways guys.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
# 126
09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
In the end, though, what's the point of a ship interior if there is nothing to do that can't be done in a million other places? I don't even remember what bridge I have.

Cryptic has this amazing ability to devote all kinds of people and resources to making stuff like SFA, while no one in the room plans corresponding game mechanics that gives folks a reason to go there.

All the players rush in and ask, "What can I do here?" SFA was the funniest example. Players made up their own "find the rocket boots" prank. Looking for those rocket boots was the most time I've ever spent at SFA.

Maybe some of that has changed? IDK, it's been so long since I've gone to a place other than find the door for a foundry mission.
Lt. Commander
# 127
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
In the end, though, what's the point of a ship interior if there is nothing to do that can't be done in a million other places? I don't even remember what bridge I have.

Cryptic has this amazing ability to devote all kinds of people and resources to making stuff like SFA, while no one in the room plans corresponding game mechanics that gives folks a reason to go there.

All the players rush in and ask, "What can I do here?" SFA was the funniest example. Players made up their own "find the rocket boots" prank. Looking for those rocket boots was the most time I've ever spent at SFA.

Maybe some of that has changed? IDK, it's been so long since I've gone to a place other than find the door for a foundry mission.
As I recall, SFA was mainly designed as part of a new tutorial that never actually saw the light of day. But since they had already designed the area, they figured they might as well stick in the game anyway, hence what you just said. However, I must admit that the academies do serve as a good hub for the Doff system.
Captain
# 128
09-18-2012, 03:31 PM
@Kirkfat

The problem Im seeing now is, you have that Foundry list you somewhat keep up. I want to play all those missions, but now that some are slowly getting featured and real XP rewards and such are coming, I dont want to play them yet. Im the type of player that only plays a Foundry mission once. I dont want to go back to something Ive already experienced now that is has been spotlighted. Can you update your list to specify which missions in your top foundry list are now spotlighted?

Sadly, the spotlighting process takes too long. The same problem we have now with people not wanting to play them will still exist. Unless there is a full time trusted committee of players applying the rewards to foundry missions as they come out, theres going to be a huge backlog of quality missions still getting ignored because people will only play whats spotlighted, and maybe not even then if they've already played a mission that is just now spotlighted. Cryptic can trust players with forum mod powers, why cant they trust some players like Kirkfat, Hav, Terrilynn, Admiral Murphy, etc that can play new missions, stamp their approval that its length is satisfactory and the mission isnt an exploit? They lock it in, and the author will have to resubmit for approval to get rewards reapplied if they want to make changes to their mission. I know Dan said something about that type of anti exploit tech being built into the Neverwinter foundry, but Im not holding my breath STO gets that any time soon if at all before STO folds altogether.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro

Last edited by doubleohnine; 09-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Captain
# 129
09-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
@Kirkfat

The problem Im seeing now is, you have that Foundry list you somewhat keep up. I want to play all those missions, but now that some are slowly getting featured and real XP rewards and such are coming, I dont want to play them yet. Im the type of player that only plays a Foundry mission once. I dont want to go back to something Ive already experienced now that is has been spotlighted. Can you update your list to specify which missions in your top foundry list are now spotlighted?

Sadly, the spotlighting process takes too long. The same problem we have now with people not wanting to play them will still exist. Unless there is a full time trusted committee of players applying the rewards to foundry missions as they come out, theres going to be a huge backlog of quality missions still getting ignored because people will only play whats spotlighted, and maybe not even then if they've already played a mission that is just now spotlighted. Cryptic can trust players with forum mod powers, why cant they trust some players like Kirkfat, Hav, Terrilynn, Admiral Murphy, etc that can play new missions, stamp their approval that its length is satisfactory and the mission isnt an exploit? They lock it in, and the author will have to resubmit for approval to get rewards reapplied if they want to make changes to their mission. I know Dan said something about that type of anti exploit tech being built into the Neverwinter foundry, but Im not holding my breath STO gets that any time soon if at all before STO folds altogether.
BranFlakes is keeping an index: http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fo...ndry-spotlight
Captain
# 130
09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow, thread derailed much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
-stuff about how focusing on full canon ship interiors would increase likelihood of content drought-
Content is content, whether it's missions, new social zones and features (as opposed to bug fixes).

The only reason I am enthusiastic about this proposal is because I'd like to see canon customisation ship interiors that would have significant action on regular gameplay, and not just acting as a "house" to store loot or a "gateway" to other missions.

Quote:
There is a lot of enthusiasm in this thread, and while I appreciate that, my original (hypothetical) proposal was meant as a guideline of something that is feasible. Building 42 fully flushed out decks for one ship, is not feasible.
I may have misrepresented / gone overboard with some of my ideas. My apologies.

Here's what I was meant to say:

- Each major ship class would have its own unique deck layout
For instance, the basic structure of a Intrepid ship interior would also be used by the Cochrane, Discovery and Bellerophon class variants

- No ship will have every single canon deck fully fleshed out - where possible, unnecessary rooms and corridors will be sealed off to conserve map space.
Therefore, the Galaxy interior WILL NOT have all 42 decks with every single crew quarter and ODN access panel

- Get rid of the current genericized and condensed three-deck layout (Command / Crew / Engineering) - they're hokey.

- Have the canon rooms located on relative decks, skipping entire unneeded decks where possible
On the Intrepid class:
Deck 1 will have the Bridge, Ready Room and Conference Room
Deck 2 will have the Mess Hall
Deck 3 will have the Captain's Quarters
Deck 4 will have the Security Complex (Armory + Brig + Holodeck) and Transporter Room
Deck 5 will have the Science Lab and Sickbay
Deck 10 will have the Astrometrics and Shuttlebay
Deck 11 will have Main Engineering
(Decks 6,7,8,9,12,13,14,15 will be omitted from the map)
(I'll try doing similar canonical but condensed deck layouts for as many other ship classes as I can)

- Have mission gameplay that actually takes place on the player's own ship interiors, instead of the current generic ones.
When I'm playing an FDC First Contact mission, if I'm on an Intrepid class the dignitaries would be in the Voyager conference room. If I'm on a Galaxy class they would be in the TNG conference room.

Or perhaps have ship boarding combat scenarios similar to Colony invasion that makes use of the player's own ship interiors.

- Limit customisation to choice of carpet, doorway, hallway and LCARS color schemes.

Even with these compromises I've listed, this would be good enough for most players. You don't even need to invoke the Foundry or making any more assets.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots