Career Officer
# 471
01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Why can't we have the Galaxy bridge, and the combat on it, and the viewscreen, and consoles, etc etc, as shown in this 4 year old trailer?
----
Career Officer
# 472
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc2014 View Post
Because Cryptic doesn't seem to have a lot of time developing ship interior for players, for a change I'd thought the developers could give players the option to create a foundry of their own ship interior such as creating corridors, sickbay, cargo bay, mess hall, holodeck etc on different deck levels. This way it would be flexible for players to customize what they want instead of having a default layout.
Not sure about anybody else but I believe my Odyssey deserves a better layout.

Just sharing an idea i'd thought would be cool

Cryptic can easily focus on one ship and make interiors for that ship. And that ship could be the Enterprise-F.

Have the ship as a HUB, where players can board her. Have Adventure zone instances tied, and you have action scenes like preventing boarding parties and maybe interactive hull breaches like in the trailer?
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Captain
# 473
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
Hypothetical schedule:
I like it, that's worth going in the proposal as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
Why can't we have the Galaxy bridge, and the combat on it, and the viewscreen, and consoles, etc etc, as shown in this 4 year old trailer?
Because four years ago... the possibilities seemed endless. Now we are stuck with cold, cruel reality.

But hope is not lost! As long as we are here, and as long as we keep this thread alive, this too may come to pass!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 474
01-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Cryptic can easily focus on one ship and make interiors for that ship. And that ship could be the Enterprise-F.

Have the ship as a HUB, where players can board her. Have Adventure zone instances tied, and you have action scenes like preventing boarding parties and maybe interactive hull breaches like in the trailer?
Perhaps, by having the Ent-F as a social hub / adventure zone, this could prompt a new Starfleet Reputation system, where unlocking tiers allows access to personal ship interior updates?

Or should personal ship interiors not be gated anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I like it, that's worth going in the proposal as well.
Updated, and added Stage 7 for episode remastering where player personal ship interiors were used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Because four years ago... the possibilities seemed endless. Now we are stuck with cold, cruel reality.

But hope is not lost! As long as we are here, and as long as we keep this thread alive, this too may come to pass!
Cortical Stimulators at the ready

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Lieutenant
# 475
01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post

That'd be really neat. It could just roam around space, looking pretty.
Like a new starbase.
Ensign
# 476
01-01-2013, 06:50 PM
I just want some interiors that are scaled correctly. The thing that put me off during the beta and which I never really got over was how ridiculously out of proportion the vast majority of the interiors are with respect to the shows. I mean if you spent multiple seasons coming to know a ship interior you can tell right away that the proportions are just wrong. To some extent I'm sure its the illusion of the camera but thats the thing the whole game is an illusion anyway.

I never really understood why STO's structures always felt ridiculously cavernous. I remember on the original Earth Spacedock the turbolift to the Admiral's office used to be as tall as a house before they changed it to a normal size. It seems that a lot of the poor aesthetics in the interiors is simply some strange design decisions that were made years ago.

Also, I think it should be changed to at least allow us to customize crew uniforms. Usually when i change the default uniform I wear I change all my BOFFs to the same. Moment I enter my ship interior I lose all sense of connection to it cause I just feel like Im in an impersonal space station instead of MY ship. I dont' imagine it should take THAT much work since we already have the whole Fleet uniform code. Just set up a ship's uniform thing where you set what every class of crew member wears. Science, Medical, Tactical, Operations uniform template, save, all crews spawn with those uniforms.

Not SIMPLE SIMPLE, but certainly seems as though there's a lot of that kind of framework already in place with fleets.

Last edited by pfunk49; 01-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Lieutenant
# 477
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk49 View Post
I just want some interiors that are scaled correctly. The thing that put me off during the beta and which I never really got over was how ridiculously out of proportion the vast majority of the interiors are with respect to the shows. I mean if you spent multiple seasons coming to know a ship interior you can tell right away that the proportions are just wrong. To some extent I'm sure its the illusion of the camera but thats the thing the whole game is an illusion anyway.

I never really understood why STO's structures always felt ridiculously cavernous. I remember on the original Earth Spacedock the turbolift to the Admiral's office used to be as tall as a house before they changed it to a normal size. It seems that a lot of the poor aesthetics in the interiors is simply some strange design decisions that were made years ago.

Also, I think it should be changed to at least allow us to customize crew uniforms. Usually when i change the default uniform I wear I change all my BOFFs to the same. Moment I enter my ship interior I lose all sense of connection to it cause I just feel like Im in an impersonal space station instead of MY ship. I dont' imagine it should take THAT much work since we already have the whole Fleet uniform code. Just set up a ship's uniform thing where you set what every class of crew member wears. Science, Medical, Tactical, Operations uniform template, save, all crews spawn with those uniforms.

Not SIMPLE SIMPLE, but certainly seems as though there's a lot of that kind of framework already in place with fleets.
The reason the environments are so wide and tall is for the camera.

If you've ever walked in the Temporal bridge (the only one I know), you'll notice its perfectly proportioned but if you try to look from a birds eye view, the camera runs right into the ceiling.
They could stand to tone it down just a bit, though.
Career Officer
# 478
01-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk49 View Post

While this is an issue with older bridges and interiors, but with the newer interiors, they have clearly demonstrated they can and will make properly scaled interiors.

So give them time, they have more important things on their schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
Perhaps, by having the Ent-F as a social hub / adventure zone, this could prompt a new Starfleet Reputation system, where unlocking tiers allows access to personal ship interior updates?

Or should personal ship interiors not be gated anyway?
Exactly! Goes back to the original Perpetual idea of players visiting a command / flagship for missions.

Players build up reputation, and gain access to new parts of the ship. Until you eventually get invited to the command center for an important mission.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Starfleet Veteran
# 479
01-03-2013, 06:30 AM
I think this, this, and this sum up what we want out of interiors quite nicely. It's amazing what people can do with a game from 1999.

Last edited by starboardnacelle; 01-03-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 480
01-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardnacelle View Post
I think this, this, and this sum up what we want out of interiors quite nicely. It's amazing what people can do with a game from 1999.

This is from slightly later than 1999.
It is running off of the Quake 3 engine. This is probably an RPG mod from Elite Force 2.
RPG mods and maps was pretty popular for that game since it already has a mulitplayer mode.

But anyway, all these would be nice.
And what's incredible about these maps are they are made by either one person or a very small team just for fun.