Captain
# 481
01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardnacelle View Post
I think this, this, and this sum up what we want out of interiors quite nicely. It's amazing what people can do with a game from 1999.
I'd even be okay if interiors looked like that. Maybe not so much black though.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 482
01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archofwinter View Post
This is from slightly later than 1999.
It is running off of the Quake 3 engine. This is probably an RPG mod from Elite Force 2.
RPG mods and maps was pretty popular for that game since it already has a mulitplayer mode.

But anyway, all these would be nice.
And what's incredible about these maps are they are made by either one person or a very small team just for fun.
Yeah, with Neelix and the football on the desk, it definitely was an Elite Force Mod.

Quote:
I think this, this, and this sum up what we want out of interiors quite nicely. It's amazing what people can do with a game from 1999.
I'm sure the Devs are well versed with Elite Force and things they could learn from it.

But mind you that single player games are far different from an MMO. You got certain budgets so you don't make it too complex for internet gameplay.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Starfleet Veteran
# 483
01-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archofwinter View Post
This is from slightly later than 1999.
It is running off of the Quake 3 engine. This is probably an RPG mod from Elite Force 2.
RPG mods and maps was pretty popular for that game since it already has a mulitplayer mode.

But anyway, all these would be nice.
And what's incredible about these maps are they are made by either one person or a very small team just for fun.
Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force was released in 2000. It's still over twelve years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I'm sure the Devs are well versed with Elite Force and things they could learn from it.

But mind you that single player games are far different from an MMO. You got certain budgets so you don't make it too complex for internet gameplay.
That's actually from a multiplayer map that can theoretically fit anywhere between 32 and 64 people.

Last edited by starboardnacelle; 01-03-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Captain
# 484
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Interesting example, starboardnacelle. The map certainly has a fair amount of detail and functionality for multiplayer gameplay.

In practice, I'd think that most of the RP-oriented functionality would have to be stripped out to simply gameplay for the lowest common denominator - i.e. MMO gamers with average specs rather than dedicated Trek fans with top end hardware.

Besides, my understanding is that ST:Freelance was discontinued due to a lack of developers and resources - it seems that building an engine from scratch and implementing all the desired gameplay functionality.

Based on the hypothetical release schedule for this proposal, I'd say that the only major challenges Cryptic devs have are in map and asset creation. STO has the advantage of an established game engine.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Starfleet Veteran
# 485
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
Besides, my understanding is that ST:Freelance was discontinued due to a lack of developers and resources - it seems that building an engine from scratch and implementing all the desired gameplay functionality.
Station Asteria is a completely separate project from Freelance, intended solely for the RPG-X modification.
Career Officer
# 486
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Quote:
That's actually from a multiplayer map that can theoretically fit anywhere between 32 and 64 people.
Again, MMOs aren't the same. There is more to it than just fitting X amount of players.

Not saying Cryptic couldn't make a similar environment, but the detail wouldn't be as crisp. And I could imagine that map would be limited to 5 players due to the small size.
NO to ARC!

Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Lt. Commander
# 487
01-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Hello everyone. I just want to say that this is a great thread and definitely needs more momentum! There are a lot of good ideas here that I think many people would really enjoy having in the game, myself included. Especially the uniform options, the ability for more interaction with BOffs as well as fixes to make ships more canonical and properly scaled.

That being said, we should avoid quibbling with the devs on small issues, such as the viewscreen-- especially if they are taking the time to listen to what we have to say in the first place! I believe tacofangs was very patient not to get fed up with the number of people pushing for something that is clearly a minor detail, and unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. For the record, I agree that a 2D image on the viewer is fine, and what most people would be used to.

We've caught the ear of a dev here, and one who has continued to stick around and listen to our ideas, which means he is interested in what we're saying. If he says something would take too much effort to be worth the end result, or if he says that something isn't going to work with the current tech, then we should politely acquiesce and not make a big scene about it. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's working on our side and only giving us a practical opinion of what is feasible, not simply shooting down our ideas willy-nilly. Don't lose sight of the big picture!

With that bit of ranting out of the way, I'd like to suggest something. Maybe a way to pose/position your BOffs within your ship, even in a limited capacity, for the purposes of taking screenshots?

I guess my idea would involve switching over to a map with your BOffs -- maybe at the holodeck or something. Here, in this limited environment, you could position your BOffs and maybe choose between a few environments for taking the screenshot.

It'd be neat if we could give them commands to perform certain emotes or basic animations as well, and might make for some interesting pictures. Not super important, but it might make BOffs feel a bit more like people while adding something to interiors.
Captain
# 488
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorkafei View Post
That being said, we should avoid quibbling with the devs on small issues, such as the viewscreen-- especially if they are taking the time to listen to what we have to say in the first place! I believe tacofangs was very patient not to get fed up with the number of people pushing for something that is clearly a minor detail, and unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. For the record, I agree that a 2D image on the viewer is fine, and what most people would be used to.

We've caught the ear of a dev here, and one who has continued to stick around and listen to our ideas, which means he is interested in what we're saying. If he says something would take too much effort to be worth the end result, or if he says that something isn't going to work with the current tech, then we should politely acquiesce and not make a big scene about it. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's working on our side and only giving us a practical opinion of what is feasible, not simply shooting down our ideas willy-nilly. Don't lose sight of the big picture!
I wouldn't regarding any of that as quibbling or "making a big scene".

We love the devs, but it's human nature not to simply take their words as-is until all other possibilities have been exhausted - dissent is a normal part of discussion.

Quote:
With that bit of ranting out of the way, I'd like to suggest something. Maybe a way to pose/position your BOffs within your ship, even in a limited capacity, for the purposes of taking screenshots?

I guess my idea would involve switching over to a map with your BOffs -- maybe at the holodeck or something. Here, in this limited environment, you could position your BOffs and maybe choose between a few environments for taking the screenshot.
Our current proposal document limits custom BOff positions to which Bridge stations they are (visually) assigned to.

Family-photo style positioning of BOffs in a holodeck map, IMHO, seems to be geared more towards RPers, which has limited appeal.

Quote:
It'd be neat if we could give them commands to perform certain emotes or basic animations as well, and might make for some interesting pictures. Not super important, but it might make BOffs feel a bit more like people while adding something to interiors.
"Pet" or "Companion" commands sound neat, but would probably be more appropriate on social maps where BOffs are allowed, and thus fall outside of the ship interior proposal in general.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
# 489
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Hello everyone. I just want to say that this is a great thread and definitely needs more momentum! There are a lot of good ideas here that I think many people would really enjoy having in the game, myself included. Especially the uniform options, the ability for more interaction with BOffs as well as fixes to make ships more canonical and properly scaled.

Now, I don't appricate that uncalled comment regarding the Viewscreen discussion. Because there was no "quibbling", just a frank discussion where there was a misunderstanding on how the idea was presented.

And if you think the 2D viewer is fine, then your opinion is welcome. But there are some players don't just want a plain flat picture, but something more alive and representative of Star Trek.

Quote:

You can already do that. I suggest you talk with the UGC guys, they are masters at it.
NO to ARC!

Lt. Commander
# 490
01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Now, I don't appricate that uncalled comment regarding the Viewscreen discussion. Because there was no "quibbling", just a frank discussion where there was a misunderstanding on how the idea was presented.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to step out of line or anything! I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

Quote:
And if you think the 2D viewer is fine, then your opinion is welcome. But there are some players don't just want a plain flat picture, but something more alive and representative of Star Trek.
I just seem to recall tacofangs stating several times that it was either this, or a "window into space," the latter of which wouldn't give the proper feel -- something with which I agree. It may be that holographic technology existed on the viewscreens, but we as the viewer did not see much of that in action, hence his statement why a 2D image would feel like the correct way to go.

Anyhow, I don't want to rekindle an argument that was already resolved! I would certainly like to see some animation on the viewscreen, or some area-related imagery when/if the devs can get to it. I just think it's important not to focus on one small detail, and instead on the larger idea of setting the proposed ideas introduced by sumghai into motion in some way, shape or form, even if not exactly as proposed.