use on living tissue would have to be considered murder
Captain
# 12
07-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
The logical use would be to beam waste materials out of existance
use on living tissue would have to be considered murder
Worry not, inert matter transport would of course be perfected first, before any living beings are transported.

You do realize this could revolutionalize search and rescue should the transport of living organisms be perfected, right?

You can just send a miniature robot (ROV is the correct term) to pinpoint survivors, then "Beam them to Sickbay" direct immediately.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Commander
# 13
07-23-2012, 02:21 AM
i would beam kim jong un and a few other people like putin on one island where they can all try to dictate themself. i would also beam a logitech HD webcam to see this spectacle and last but not least, some bear onto my table
Captain
# 14
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.

-- Douglas Adams
# 15
more like beam a perfect copy to sick bay

I do not trust this tech even in trek

mind you I can see the advantage of crossing it with the replicators and producing a vast army
Captain
# 16
07-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Quote:
more like beam a perfect copy to sick bay

I do not trust this tech even in trek

mind you I can see the advantage of crossing it with the replicators and producing a vast army
Indeed as always you are right on the "humanitarian concerns" department.

However seeing as the majority of cutting edge technology is strictly governed by nations with strong ethical backgrounds... I don't think we have to worry that much.

I mean, CERN money could have been used to create a "Star Wars" concept particle beam weapon for anti missile defence, space dominance, etc. A lot of modern day tech we use for innocent purposes could also be weaponized if the Geneva Convention didn't exist. But did they?

No.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
07-23-2012, 02:27 AM
its hard to think of any tech that has not been weaponised
Captain
# 18
07-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Quote:
its hard to think of any tech that has not been weaponised
Indeed.

We even have USB Missile Launchers for office combat

My Youtube Channel
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
07-23-2012, 02:45 AM
actually the USB was military tech first (battlefield systems)
Lieutenant
# 20
07-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Don't know if it's actually true, but I was told that the microwave oven came about because of research into a 'heat ray' type weapon. The idea was to cook soldiers, melt vehicles parts and maybe even metal, and effectively turn all armour into scrap (because no one would dare use them, they would become obsolete).
Of course they couldn't make that work, but the research at least allowed for the development of microwave ovens.

And show me a government with a strong ethical background and I'll show you a bridge I have for sale.
I don't trust my government an inch, tbh. It's not that I think they're out to get me or anything. I just think they don't give two hoots as long as they're OK and their agenda gets advanced.
But...

To get back to something like the topic...I wouldn't use a transporter. The 'beamed up' person is only a copy (with the original being destroyed). Would I still be me after the first transport? And would repeatedly producing copies of copies of copies not eventually lead to info degradation, increasing the chances of something going seriously wrong?
I'd stick to other modes of transport, ta all the same.