Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 21
07-23-2012, 03:33 AM
Microwave weapons do exist (and if you use one you WILL hang)
Career Officer
# 22
07-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Surely we could use an early ancestor of Admiral Archer's prized Beagle instead of us?
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
07-23-2012, 03:44 AM
Tests should be performed using "expendible resources"

Ie politicians , convicted criminals , terminal cases (who might actually be saved by replication) and of course people involved with the 2009 trek film
Captain
# 24
07-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr37 View Post
To get back to something like the topic...I wouldn't use a transporter. The 'beamed up' person is only a copy (with the original being destroyed). Would I still be me after the first transport? And would repeatedly producing copies of copies of copies not eventually lead to info degradation, increasing the chances of something going seriously wrong?
I'd stick to other modes of transport, ta all the same.

Yes, precisely - what if you (mentally or however) were killed, and your copy was merely that - a copy?

I for one have no interest in killing myself just so a copy of mine can go around roaming the universe.

However, if you could somehow temporarily decrease the mass of an object whilst at the same time making an airtight bubble... (and ofc catapult said object through whatever obstacles there are to a 'receiver' which reverses the process... )

I actually did something like that in my RP storyline in StarCraft II (which has extended through Supreme Commander 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, StarCraft (all in the same universe) and STO (completely different universe, of course xD))
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.

Last edited by dalolorn; 07-23-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Lieutenant
# 25
07-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Yes, precisely - what if you (mentally or however) were killed, and your copy was merely that - a copy?

I for one have no interest in killing myself just so a copy of mine can go around roaming the universe.

However, if you could somehow temporarily decrease the mass of an object whilst at the same time making an airtight bubble... (and ofc catapult said object through whatever obstacles there are to a 'receiver' which reverses the process... )

I actually did something like that in my RP storyline in StarCraft II (which has extended through Supreme Commander 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, StarCraft (all in the same universe) and STO (completely different universe, of course xD))
The laws of physics (as we understand them) actually dictate that the act of transportation MUST result in the original object being annihilated on a molecular (or is it quantum?) level in order for the copy to even exist. I also believe that it's meant to be possible to reproduce numerous copies of an original, using the same piece of receiving equipment, eliminating the need to tie in any sort of replicator technology. Though of course it is all theoretical.
I'm going to have to dig out the actual wording, etc (unless someone else hops in with the proper explanation).

Temporarily decrease mass = anti-Higgs field...field?
But how do you slow the fired object down again? A sudden restoration of original mass is just going to make a bigger mess.
As an aside, though, I've been wondering what the development of an AHF field might mean for space exploration within our own solar system (to start with). Reduce the mass of a craft -> less energy to get it started and make it go faster -> less fuel required = lower payloads -> tied in with research into ion drives -> colonies on Mars, reachable in a few weeks if not days or even hours, and exploration that does not require the lifetimes of researchers to be dedicated to one mission.
Career Officer
# 26
07-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
its hard to think of any tech that has not been weaponised
Toilet paper and water-closets.

The inventors of these can look back on their lives and say "Yep, we did improve the quality of life on this world. Not like those guys", pointing their fingers at Oppenheimer, Einstein or Nobel.
Captain
# 27
07-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr37 View Post
The laws of physics (as we understand them) actually dictate that the act of transportation MUST result in the original object being annihilated on a molecular (or is it quantum?) level in order for the copy to even exist. I also believe that it's meant to be possible to reproduce numerous copies of an original, using the same piece of receiving equipment, eliminating the need to tie in any sort of replicator technology. Though of course it is all theoretical.
I'm going to have to dig out the actual wording, etc (unless someone else hops in with the proper explanation).

Temporarily decrease mass = anti-Higgs field...field?
But how do you slow the fired object down again? A sudden restoration of original mass is just going to make a bigger mess.
As an aside, though, I've been wondering what the development of an AHF field might mean for space exploration within our own solar system (to start with). Reduce the mass of a craft -> less energy to get it started and make it go faster -> less fuel required = lower payloads -> tied in with research into ion drives -> colonies on Mars, reachable in a few weeks if not days or even hours, and exploration that does not require the lifetimes of researchers to be dedicated to one mission.
Simple. Use a big net or something

The tricky bit is making the whole object go through solid objects but still be catched by said 'net' from my above metaphor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
07-23-2012, 05:07 AM
ok I have to give you toilet paper
Career Officer
# 29
07-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrumridcully0 View Post
Toilet paper and water-closets.

The inventors of these can look back on their lives and say "Yep, we did improve the quality of life on this world. Not like those guys", pointing their fingers at Oppenheimer, Einstein or Nobel.
I've weaponized toilet paper as a projectile in a home-made elastic-band powered, clothes-peg rifle. It could shoot moist toilet paper balls 60 feet. The neighborhood I grew up in had annual wars in this fashion. I was a very successful gunsmith. My designs were sought after. People came close to losing an eye.

Long story short, I don't know how the inventor of toilet paper can sleep at night.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Rihannsu
# 30
07-23-2012, 06:33 AM
As to OP, it would depend on the operating system, are we talking Windows or Linux?
New home of the Romulan Republic.
I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.