Career Officer
I've noticed as a science officer that the Doffs given for the medical tier of missions seems to be extremely lacking compared to the sheer number of security military and engineering doffs one receives initially. It's a really bad balance considering that all of the beginner missions require doctors and one needs more then one doctor on a medical ship. Also, each doctor needs congenial as a trait to be successful and the ones i've received on both science captains have been anything but. What gives can we not get the doffs we need for beginning missions especially since new players will notice this issue right away when they try it? just sayin.
Community Moderator
# 2
07-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tigglet View Post
I've noticed as a science officer that the Doffs given for the medical tier of missions seems to be extremely lacking compared to the sheer number of security military and engineering doffs one receives initially. It's a really bad balance considering that all of the beginner missions require doctors and one needs more then one doctor on a medical ship. Also, each doctor needs congenial as a trait to be successful and the ones i've received on both science captains have been anything but. What gives can we not get the doffs we need for beginning missions especially since new players will notice this issue right away when they try it? just sayin.
One thing you need to understand is that the bulk of the Doffs available in the game were/are randomly generated. Traits are mainly determined by species, then specialization, but they are not optimized.

That's why you get unscrupulous doctors, for example, which is generally a bad trait for doctors.

Even many of the "hand-edited" Doffs are not well optimized for the kinds of assignments they're supposed to be useful for, though I believe it's getting better.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Rihannsu
# 3
07-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Also... what's bad for one assignment might be good for another. Not all medical missions have unscrupulous as a bad trait. Some have emotional. Some missions have those as GOOD traits.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 4
07-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
That's why you get unscrupulous doctors, for example, which is generally a bad trait for doctors.
Someone has to graduate last in their class.

Those are the ones you throw to the doff grinder or for the starbases.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Community Moderator
# 5
07-23-2012, 08:58 AM
What does seem unbalanced to me is that some assignments earn great CXP and others suck in comparison. Some categories have more earning potential than others.

The Science and Exploration categories suffer the most, IMO. There are only a very few assignments that earn great CXP and all of those require expensive and/or rare inputs or take a lot of time in comparison to others. Neither category offers any strong benefit or advantages.

I can rank up Engineering and Military easy, but I struggle to rank up Science and Exploration even if I'm making those a priority. The difference is, Engineering and Military both have a good number of gold label assignments that come up often. Science doesn't have many of these and some of those seem to be broken. Exploration doesn't have any that I recall.

The assignments that were created when the DO system first went live tend to offer less CXP than the ones that were created later, but the Devs haven't yet gone back to look at the original set of assignments to rebalance them.

If more regular missions offered CXP objectives and rewards, I wouldn't mind this. There would be an alternate method for gaining CXP outside of DO assignments like there is with Diplomacy. As it is, though, I think CXP earnings need a general balance pass.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 6
07-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Random is random. I have tons of Doctors, they were my primary source of Greens and Blues for reassignment.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk