Starfleet Veteran
# 31
07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Any item bought in exchange should INSTANTLY bind
I think that the whole Bind system should be removed all together (both pick up and equip). One of the reasons the prices are high is because of the rarity in the game. Add more volume and watch the prices drop. Look at the prices of the Mirror Universe ship, they are flooding the market and you can pick them up for under 1M, where the less common D'Kora is in the tens of millions.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Career Officer
# 32
07-23-2012, 04:48 PM
4 tiny little words to live by

IT A FREE MARKET

that means either learn to rig it in YOUR favor or DONT play it
Captain
# 33
07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
By that definition, gthe major gtraders of most Wall Street financial corporations should be in jail already. I hate to say it, but open market manipulation isn't illegal unless hyou have some actual inside non-public knowledge you make use of in executinng your trade
Problem of comparing Wall St. (stock market) to the exchange is that Wall St. works "both" ways, Joe-bob can say "sell at or above X price" and Fred can say "buy ### many but only up to Y price". If Fred's willing to pay what Joe-bob is selling at, deal. If not, both requests wait in their queues until such time as the various deals can be made. Also, the stock market reports the values of all trades - if Fred above said "buy the first 100 up to $350 each" and Joe-bob says "sell at or above $300", then the deal goes through, and the stock market lists that item at $300, giving other people a general reflection as to what the stock is "worth".

However, not here. I'm not able to post "give me the first security DOff that sells for 40k EC", and expect to end up with it. I walk into the only store in town (exchange) and either pay the going rate (say 60k in the case of white DOffs), or wait until the big fleets finally wind up trying to sell so many white DOffs they don't need anymore that the manipulators can't keep up.
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Career Officer
# 34
07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
I think that the whole Bind system should be removed all together (both pick up and equip). One of the reasons the prices are high is because of the rarity in the game. Add more volume and watch the prices drop. Look at the prices of the Mirror Universe ship, they are flooding the market and you can pick them up for under 1M, where the less common D'Kora is in the tens of millions.
Good post. I've never understood "binding".
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
By that definition, gthe major gtraders of most Wall Street financial corporations should be in jail already. I hate to say it, but open market manipulation isn't illegal unless hyou have some actual inside non-public knowledge you make use of in executinng your trade.

Buying low and reposting to sell high isn't an exploit or illlegal per se, as long as some sucker will pay your price. welcome to 'free market' economics. Bottom line is: Until the majority of people using tghe mafrket refuse to buy something above a certain price level - this type of thing will continue.
Actualy its called price gouging and it is illegal. That being said the fact that a white doff is 50 mill on the exchange is just plain greed also silly since I can go to the academy and load up if I wait a day. granted I may not get the one I need but its free. I believe this is the primary complaint about the economy but it wont last since starbases are huge credit sinks most of the people with that kind of buying power will dry up in the coming months and it wont be practical to list anything for that many ec.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Survivor of Romulus
# 36
07-24-2012, 02:04 AM
"A man who steals by the speed of his hand , he shall lose that hand .
A man who steals by the quickness and cunning of his tongue , he shall lose his tongue."
(Original translation from the Codes of Assyria)

so a man who steals by the cunning of his mind??
Starfleet Veteran
# 37
07-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:
A man who steals by the quickness and cunning of his tongue , he shall lose his tongue."

LABOTOMY!!!!!!!! or president either is good.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Survivor of Romulus
# 38
07-24-2012, 02:13 AM
if prices are fixed at a fair rate everyone benefits

in a "free market"

well it happens like this

a person (lets call him Captain maddoff) buys up all the (lets use white security doffs) under 1 million ec
then relists them at 1 million each
everyone else then has a choice pay the price captain maddoff sets OR buy doff packs

some people do each
now the doff packs give on average 1 white tac/security each and a bunch of other stuff
the person buying it decides to recoup some of the cost and lists a white quality Geologist for 1 million ec

and then there are two of them doing it
it snowballs

Eventually starfleet security has to be called in because there is a mob waiting outside ESD to hang Captain Maddoff and Lt commander whats his name

they are hunted men

and everyone is worse off

meanwhile no one gains as when captain maddoff is driven off his account goes inactive
Starfleet Veteran
# 39
07-24-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
if prices are fixed at a fair rate everyone benefits

in a "free market"

well it happens like this

a person (lets call him Captain maddoff) buys up all the (lets use white security doffs) under 1 million ec
then relists them at 1 million each
everyone else then has a choice pay the price captain maddoff sets OR buy doff packs

some people do each
now the doff packs give on average 1 white tac/security each and a bunch of other stuff
the person buying it decides to recoup some of the cost and lists a white quality Geologist for 1 million ec

and then there are two of them doing it
it snowballs

Eventually starfleet security has to be called in because there is a mob waiting outside ESD to hang Captain Maddoff and Lt commander whats his name

they are hunted men

and everyone is worse off

meanwhile no one gains as when captain maddoff is driven off his account goes inactive
At this point im going to agree and disagree.
Frist I disagree, it is the right of the owner of any item to charge whatever they wish for said item, if they choose to sell it at an unfair price thats their buisness.

And I agree. It is however unfair to purchase all of a needed item to then re-sell them at many times your purchase price. This removes a persons choice to seek out a better deal elsewhere since you have a monopoly on said item. in the real world this is illegal, in the game world its just douchy. Its also unfair to the F2P players since their cap is 10 mil.

I disagree. Given that the starbase is meant to be a money pit i don't think this will remain as inflated as it is for very long. I believe that in a few months time these people with great fortunes will have spent them on their bases and that soon noone will be able to afford these prices, and there for in order to sell, the price will have to be reduced. Supply and demand also works for money, when theres lots of it you can demand more, when theres less.....

I agree. Just because its un-regulated and considered a free market doesn't make it right.

It's also worth noting that there is no finite amount of most things in this game and that for most items there are free ways of obtaining them. Same goes for ec, theres no limit to how much there can be. The exchange is just a way around the time gates/grinds/luck for most things, it is in no wat essential to your game that you buy things from it, just faster.

Career Officer
# 40
07-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:

The first is force, the second is fraud. Those are examples of taking someone's property without permission or legal right. Those are stealing.

You can not 'steal' with your mind. Negotiating a deal in your favor is a consensual transaction, not stealing.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist