Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
# 1 Is my Starbase Broken?
07-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Just a couple of things ive noticed about my starbase that i feel i have to ask about because none of it makes a lot of sense.

1, Why cant i return to my starbase after a mission. I get dumped into sector space and have to enter the system and then dock. If i was on any of the other starbases (esd, k7, ds9 etc etc) i would be returned to where i left off.
Its almost as if the game is classifying my starbase as a ground combat map as opposed to an actual starbase. Of course that cant be right, that just be silly, no person could draw a wage from this work and be called a professional? That sure would be lazy right?

2, We recently finished a starbase project that gave us a tactical officer on our starbase, the mission was quite demanding in resources. I cant remember exact figures but it was something around 30k dil, 800 fleet marks, 3 purple duty officers and some other stuff.
Its for a new tactical contact though so thats gotta be good right, i mean you cant pull up any doff jobs on your starbase or in your system and with teh requirements this contact must have some sweet doff jobs! Awesome!
After 20hrs a couple of us mosey down to the tac floor to meet our new contact, a very striking dark skinned woman who looks like she has seen some wicked combat in her time. When the chat window opens its a blonde haired Andorian dude that looks EXACTLY like my dude on my ship, funny thing is, he offers the EXACT same missions that my bridge dude can offer too, even the remen proto gear is here.... wait a minute!!! Cryptic you didnt?

Did we just put all that gear together for a 24th century phone booth?

So cryptic, where can i find the manufacturers contact info for my starbase, i think its broken.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,964
# 2
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wan5 View Post

1, Why cant i return to my starbase after a mission. I get dumped into sector space and have to enter the system and then dock. If i was on any of the other starbases (esd, k7, ds9 etc etc) i would be returned to where i left off.
Its almost as if the game is classifying my starbase as a ground combat map as opposed to an actual starbase. Of course that cant be right, that just be silly, no person could draw a wage from this work and be called a professional? That sure would be lazy right?
its probably because maps like ESD or DS9 are always there as hard maps. you only need 1 to be there and people can come and go.

starbases are made and used as an when they are needed. they also are designed to be upgraded and changed which may also be a factor. considering they said there are about 8000 fleets or so i dont think they want 8000 persistent maps.

or they are just lazy. yeah thats probably it. none of this technical nonsense

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
# 3
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
its probably because maps like ESD or DS9 are always there as hard maps. you only need 1 to be there and people can come and go.

starbases are made and used as an when they are needed. they also are designed to be upgraded and changed which may also be a factor. considering they said there are about 8000 fleets or so i dont think they want 8000 persistent maps.

or they are just lazy. yeah thats probably it. none of this technical nonsense
They dont need 8000 maps though do they, i mean its not like the interior changes when you go up a tier, or am i missing something? Sure console and such start to work, but they were already there from launch. System space, i can understand, treat it as a combat zone. I just dont think a fleet starbase will ever be a social zone simply due to the hassle of using it as such.

Would it really have been THAT more difficult to either put you back on a starbase interior if any fleet mates currently have one running or to simply create a new one just as you do when docking?

I mean if i can load into it manually, why cant the game just put me back there?

edit: On a side not you didnt comment about point 2. There is no way on Earth anyone can say that is not a lazy move!

Last edited by wan5; 07-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,964
# 4
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
The interiors do change with projects at least. they have so far only released one which is the room with a view.

What im saying is ESD is a set map. it looks 100% the same for everyone. every console does the same job. every npc, every pixel of the appearance is the same. its a solid zone that does not go away and you can log in and out of the game and re-appear there. its a 'safe zone' so to speak.

every starbase is different (not so much at the start but they will change over time) and is isolated to your fleet so you beam into yours. its not need to be there 24/7 and can change from fleet to fleet.

when you leave any mission you return to your 'safe zone rather' rather than get sent to another 'combat zone'. can they have you beam back to your starbase by opening it up again? maybe, i dont know, but to my knowledge its not something that has ever happened in the game, which usually means its tricky or time consuming to add, if its even possible within the realms of what they have to work with. if it somehow sacrifices bandwidth and causes a lot of lag then its not worth doing it.

honestly i have no idea about point 2.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 516
# 5
07-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Point 2 is what it is.

I guess you can consider it the cost of hiring and training people to come work for your starbase.

I would have preferred to have the personnel unlock all after Tier 1 but they need "stuff" to unlock per tier. A counselor at tier 5 :\

Not really an incentive or bonus since they're either on the og spacedocks or onboard. But alas.

Shame that interior unlocks are special projects only rather than the tier unlocks

Can't win 'em all though, something something lockbox.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 462
# 6
07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
They should not need a persistent map for DOFF assignments all they should need is a trigger.

Somewhere there should be a database of current missions, all they need is for an invisible version of the active DOFF missions to be running for Starbase System Space and Starbase Interior. Next, I am sure there is a locational trigger to pull these missions up as you switch from sector to sector. Now, when you enter one of the Starbase maps your location then triggers and populates the doff missions from the "hidden" reservoir which is the same for everyone else.

In thinking about it, the system is already there just not set up for Starbases. For example, Just because you are on DS9 doesn't mean there are now DOFF missions for you in DS9 System Space. They are there but hidden to you. They only appear hidden to you until you change your location and it triggers a re-population of the DOFF missions.

So this begs the question then....why no DOFF missions from Starbase Systems and Interiors....at the very least some interesting specific ones that reward Fleet Marks.

Now to the fact that when we beam off the starbase we always beam to sector space, well that is silly, we should at least beam to Starbase System Space (it would make the Officer of the Watch Dailies easier without extra needless zoning). In reality, we should get a choice, Beam to System or Beam to Sector. This was asked for and commented on numerous times while S6 was on Tribble. It is yet another thing to add to the laundry list that is of unknown status.

Finally, it seems very unfortunate that the Tactical DOFF contact does nothing or offers nothing additional given the level of resources and time to get it. I mean if it gives you the exact same missions as talking to your dept head, or worse routes through them (has to be a bug) why bother getting it and why bother even putting it in the system? I would presume this is the same for the Engineering and Science ones as well. Fleet members and I have already begun discussing how worthwhile it is to progress through the fleet system given the resource demands (we are a small fleet). It is things like this that make me think they designed the carrot to be too far away from the horse and too small for the horse to even notice it.

Last edited by commodoreshrvk; 07-23-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
# 7
07-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
The interiors do change with projects at least. they have so far only released one which is the room with a view.

What im saying is ESD is a set map. it looks 100% the same for everyone. every console does the same job. every npc, every pixel of the appearance is the same. its a solid zone that does not go away and you can log in and out of the game and re-appear there. its a 'safe zone' so to speak.

every starbase is different (not so much at the start but they will change over time) and is isolated to your fleet so you beam into yours. its not need to be there 24/7 and can change from fleet to fleet.

when you leave any mission you return to your 'safe zone rather' rather than get sent to another 'combat zone'. can they have you beam back to your starbase by opening it up again? maybe, i dont know, but to my knowledge its not something that has ever happened in the game, which usually means its tricky or time consuming to add, if its even possible within the realms of what they have to work with. if it somehow sacrifices bandwidth and causes a lot of lag then its not worth doing it.

honestly i have no idea about point 2.
I forgot all about that room with a view job, that really does muddle things long term a bit for treating it as a persistent map so to speak. You would think the strain of the three zones being loaded manually (sector space-system space-ground) would be harder than simply loading directly to ground. Personally ive only ever seen the server not responding txt during the loading screens, perhaps this is irrelevant, im not a coder, just a consumer wondering what we are supposed to be using these Starbases for.

Dont get me wrong, its awesome having a place to call home and its great for fleet meets, and anything to increase end game is good. They also look great and eventually the fleet variants of the ships, although a bit pricey considering what you have to do just to get access to them, will no doubt be nice to play with.

That said, this simple not returning to your home base, it seems like something that has been totally overlooked.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
# 8
07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoreshrvk View Post
They should not need a persistent map for DOFF assignments all they should need is a trigger.

Somewhere there should be a database of current missions, all they need is for an invisible version of the active DOFF missions to be running for Starbase System Space and Starbase Interior. Next, I am sure there is a locational trigger to pull these missions up as you switch from sector to sector. Now, when you enter one of the Starbase maps your location then triggers and populates the doff missions from the "hidden" reservoir which is the same for everyone else.

In thinking about it, the system is already there just not set up for Starbases. For example, Just because you are on DS9 doesn't mean there are now DOFF missions for you in DS9 System Space. They are there but hidden to you. They only appear hidden to you until you change your location and it triggers a re-population of the DOFF missions.

So this begs the question then....why no DOFF missions from Starbase Systems and Interiors....at the very least some interesting specific ones that reward Fleet Marks.

Now to the fact that when we beam off the starbase we always beam to sector space, well that is silly, we should at least beam to Starbase System Space (it would make the Officer of the Watch Dailies easier without extra needless zoning). In reality, we should get a choice, Beam to System or Beam to Sector. This was asked for and commented on numerous times while S6 was on Tribble. It is yet another thing to add to the laundry list that is of unknown status.

Finally, it seems very unfortunate that the Tactical DOFF contact does nothing or offers nothing additional given the level of resources and time to get it. I mean if it gives you the exact same missions as talking to your dept head, or worse routes through them (has to be a bug) why bother getting it and why bother even putting it in the system? I would presume this is the same for the Engineering and Science ones as well. Fleet members and I have already begun discussing how worthwhile it is to progress through the fleet system given the resource demands (we are a small fleet). It is things like this that make me think they designed the carrot to be too far away from the horse and too small for the horse to even notice it.
We are not gonna bother with the engineer or science officers, had we of known all this "upgrade" did was open a com line to your ships tactical officer, we wouldnt have done this either.
If ive saved your fleet the resources and time you would have spent im glad.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 58
# 9
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
The whole room with a view thing. Kind of seems like a car salesmen who won't take off the tarp of the car after you buy it unless you give him an extra payment. Never made sense to me. Much less the amount of dilithium.
Plato Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,011
# 10
07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
The situation is: Whith the exception of Fleet Ships and other consumables that you can provision Starbase vendors for - the rest of it is just 'convenience' - EG y9ou have one zone where you can do everything you can at ESD or on your ship, but it's a private zone for you and your Fleetmates and any outsider you decide to invite to the map.

If that's not something that apeals to your Fleet overall (eg less loading screens and a private social ESD like area; then yes, unlocking the interior NPCs is a waste of time for your Fleet.

That said, given the newness of the Fleet system, they could lwYA dd new Doff assignments only obtainable from a Fleet Doff NPC (nuch klike for some assignments you HAVE to beam into your ship interior and go to the shipboard contact 'personally'; but time will tell if something like that is ever done.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58 PM.