Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Empire Veteran
# 31
07-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I'll look into this one. Cloak is designed to clear targets against hostile enemies. It sounds like the Focus Target function may not be doing that.

Just so I'm clear, this gives Carriers specifically a bit advantage against Cloaking enemies, correct? Because even if you have a cloaked target in Focus yourself, you're not able to attack them are you? But as I'm hearing it, Carrier pets will still follow cloaked focus targets?

Just wanna make sure I have my facts straight.
There is still way too many variables with using modes like the enhanced battle cloak for these fleet defense things. The shield draining not being what it once was is one hard hit to it and another is that even with buff to transphasics they still cannot keep up with cannons/beams as far as the speed of which you can kill a target your freighter or what not would be long dead before you did anything useful in the mission itself (a lot of it has to do with that functunality about being decloaked with no shields and the heavy damage especially with the console abilities they have it just doesn't work out). So along with this stuff with the cloak it just makes unusable to say the least.

Last edited by zeuxidemus001; 07-24-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 32
07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
I tested this extensively. It's not true under any circumstance I can recreate. FAW will decloak an enemy target only if your Perception score outmatches their Stealth (aka Cloak) score. You are being spotted by the opponent because they have high perception, not because FAW is cheating.
ive been decloaked by faw a 10+ times this last week. it was by anyone using FAW, at ranges of 7 or greater, wile i was cloaked with more then 40 aux. i was other wise invisible to everyone else on the team when i was hit with a single random FAW hit.

to test further this myself, to make sure i wasn't imagining things, or that it was just a case of really strong stealth sight, i flew among a group of enemies at 4 range and closer for several seconds. i was undetected, i even used full impulse so my aux was as low as possible, about 30 with drive coil, and i was undetected by anyone. i stayed away from sci ships because i was pretty sure they would see me at that point, but from what i saw it was all random cruisers that had FAW'ed me at that point.

before they engaged the rest of my team i was undetected, until they started fireing off buffs like FAW, then i was promptly hit and decloaked. as long as there are other shoot able targets around for faw to hit, faw will hit you wile cloaked as well.

faw also doesn't appear to be taking any acc mods into account, at least when calculating chance to hit, and hasn't been since it stopped being 100% accurate.

test HE not clearing debuffs when cast on another person too, that bug apears back. a warp plasma debuff was not cleared from me the other day when someone was kind enough to use HE on me.
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus

Last edited by dontdrunkimshoot; 07-24-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Rihannsu
# 33
07-24-2012, 03:31 PM
I never noticed this, but it doesn't reality affect me, i don't use bops

i hope cryptic makes a solution
@ZackerySS - Joined on Aug 2008: year of the greenpig
Captain
# 34
07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
I'll look into this one. Cloak is designed to clear targets against hostile enemies. It sounds like the Focus Target function may not be doing that.

Just so I'm clear, this gives Carriers specifically a bit advantage against Cloaking enemies, correct? Because even if you have a cloaked target in Focus yourself, you're not able to attack them are you? But as I'm hearing it, Carrier pets will still follow cloaked focus targets?

Just wanna make sure I have my facts straight.
Yes. Pet will chase after cloaked targets like a hound dog. They'll evern chase after Donatra's Scimitar with the uber- cloaking it has. They don't attack. They just swarm around 'em.
Lieutenant
# 35
07-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
I tested this extensively. It's not true under any circumstance I can recreate. FAW will decloak an enemy target only if your Perception score outmatches their Stealth (aka Cloak) score. You are being spotted by the opponent because they have high perception, not because FAW is cheating.
While this is good news if true I think the bigger issue is the original reason for this thread
and that is the "Pin Target" issue and ships being able to see cloaked ships what info have
you been able to dig up yet?
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Wasn't Mav testing FAW decloaking? Did he post any videos and repro steps about it?

I have been asking for what feels like years now that the players who claim that FAW breaks cloak provide clean room repro steps and so far I haven't seen anything. (And I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself.)

Different issue: Could someone please fix the "FAW ignores [Acc]" issue? (Maybe it's not flat out ignoring them and just applying +1% instead of +10%, but the effect is the same.)
Banned
# 37
07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
Wasn't Mav testing FAW decloaking? Did he post any videos and repro steps about it?

I have been asking for what feels like years now that the players who claim that FAW breaks cloak provide clean room repro steps and so far I haven't seen anything. (And I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself.)

Different issue: Could someone please fix the "FAW ignores [Acc]" issue? (Maybe it's not flat out ignoring them and just applying +1% instead of +10%, but the effect is the same.)
Yes I did. I got side tracked on a couple other non sto related projects, that and Jman has not yet answered me as to whether or not they want more videos and explanation threads. So I decided to conserve my energy and effort and never got around to making the vids. (I have the footage, but I don't have it compressed, and properly composed yet)

I will say this, like my previous videos the faw thing is ludicrously easy to reproduce, and even cursory testing should have caught this.

Rather than logging into sto after my workout (which I'll start in a few minutes) I'll get to work on getting the FAW, and latest test session videos edited, and then subsequently posted up.

Last edited by mavairo; 07-25-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Commander
# 38
07-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Tested Pin Target last night with a couple fleet mates. There was nowhere I could run where they couldn't easily get within a couple KM of me with ease, even under full cloak.

The FAW cruiser flew by with the power up and jamming on the attack button, which didn't amount to a hill of beans. I'll see if I can test it again tonight with a teammate (I'm guessing that, yes, it will be as above, FAW will engage the both of us, even though I'll be under cloak and out stealsight range).
Cryptic Studios Team
# 39
07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I've been able to send solid 100% repro steps on the Focus Target + Cloak issue to our Software guys. Hopefully we'll find a solution to that one quickly. In other news, I also just received a note from QA that the "Blue HUD for KDF" issue may be easily repro'd. And "easily repro'd" frequently means "easily fixed."

As for FAW... I'm honestly unable to come up with any scenario in which FAW will successfully target an enemy that I cannot detect. If Mavairo (or anyone else) has posted test videos illustrating the circumstances that cause this, I'm afraid I did not see them and would appreciate another link.

The power is flagged to require the caster to be able to Perceive the target. Put simply, if your Perception score doesn't "win" against an enemy's Stealth score, then the perception check on powers such as this will fail and prevent the power from targeting that enemy.

Here's a description of my latest testing:

TEST #1
* Cloaked target at the edge of perception range. Uncloaked target directly next to it.
* Set Aux high, can perceive. Set Aux low, cannot perceive.
* Starting with Aux high, activate FAW and begin a firing cycle.
-- RESULT: First pulse hits both Targets.
* Immediately reduce Aux power.
-- RESULT: As firing cycle continues, Aux eventually drops to the point that I can no longer perceive the target. At this point, FAW stops hitting the cloaked target for the remainder of the Firing Cycle.

TEST #2:
* Same target placement
* Same Aux-based perception
* Starting with Aux low, activate FAW and begin firing cycle.
-- RESULT: First pulse hits single target.
* Immediately increase Aux power.
-- RESULT: As firing cycle continues, Aux eventually rises to the point that I can perceive the 2nd target. At this point, FAW immediately begins hitting both targets for the remainder of the Firing Cycle.

TEST #3 and #4:
* Same target placement
* Same Aux-based perception
* Set cloaked target as Focus Target
* Test with both Aux low and rising, and then Aux high and falling.
* Results of both tests were same as Test #1 and #2, respectively. Focus Target appears to have no bearing on FAW target selection.

Admittedly, these are limited tests. But this is purposeful in order to eliminate variables that cannot be easily accounted for or quantified. Scientific method, and all that jazz. If there is an additional variable that needs to be considered, I'm open to additional testing. But I need solid info, not more anecdotal evidence.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Captain
# 40
07-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I have honestly never had any issue with faw hitting me while I was cloaked....

What is an issue is how fast you get targeted when you decloak and have no shields resist for the first 5+ seconds... and faw rips you a new one. I really don't see how that gets fixed though... its part of the problem if you want to decloak with in 3-4k from someone its best to make sure there Faw is not running. Guess I'm saying its not broken its just something you need to take into account if your running cloak.

I fly torp brels for fun at times... and I run them at full aux... at full aux I have never been hit by faw while I was cloaked... unless I do something dumb like fly within 3 k of a fawker.