Captain
# 1 Additional BOff Costume Slots
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I've bought quite a few uniform variants from the C-store for my toon, and earned others through gameplay . Whilst it's nice that I could (and have) bought additional costume slots for myself, wouldn't it make more sense to provide all my BOffs with extra slots as well? For instance, I slaved away at my Diplomacy XP to earn my Diplomat Mess Jacket, and it would make sense for my BOffs to be able to don them without having to do tricky costume saves / overwriting / EC purchases whenever I replay "City of the Polmar Ree".

There are two ways I think this could be implemented:
  • Bind additional BOff costume slot to Player costume slot purchases - i.e. for every additional costume slot you buy for your player Captain, your BOffs automatically get one too.

• Separate purchase - good for players who want to deck out their Captain in a dozen different styles, but restrict their BOffs to having just two or three choices.
Purchase of these slots should apply to both your current BOffs as well as any future BOffs you may commission.

Thoughts?

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
07-07-2012, 07:46 PM
I really like the idea of new costume slots for BOff's. I wish I could have a ship uniform slot too, just a universal one that we could apply to all BOff's (heck, DOFF's too).

Not sure about splitting them up though, I'd guess that would drive up the original cost of the new slots for your captain.
Captain
# 3
07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creamyzombie View Post
I wish I could have a ship uniform slot too, just a universal one that we could apply to all BOff's
I personally think that shipwide uniforms should be available by default without any purchases.

However, if you mean additional, alternate slots for even shipwide uniforms, then that could prove to be very interesting.

Quote:
(heck, DOFF's too).
Cryptic hasn't been too keen on customisation of DOffs. Good thing their portraits only show everything above the neck, so I suppose we'd have to just imagine they share their the same uniforms.

Quote:
Not sure about splitting them up though, I'd guess that would drive up the original cost of the new slots for your captain.
My personal choice would have been to sync them, although the second option is there if the first isn't financially feasible.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
# 4
07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
I personally think that shipwide uniforms should be available by default without any purchases.

However, if you mean additional, alternate slots for even shipwide uniforms, then that could prove to be very interesting.

Cryptic hasn't been too keen on customisation of DOffs. Good thing their portraits only show everything above the neck, so I suppose we'd have to just imagine they share their the same uniforms.

My personal choice would have been to sync them, although the second option is there if the first isn't financially feasible.
DOffs all wear Starfleet Academy uniforms.

Personally, I';d switch all non-essential (non-named) Starfleet NPCs over to this look to match the DOffs.

I also think it would match the shows better and maybe also act as a nod to the enlisted uniform's use on most of the extras in the TOS films.

As a rule, your average Starfleet grunt looks VERY uniform. It's the senior staff who tend to run around out of uniform or in weird uniform variants.

In fact, in the TOS films, I'd go so far as to say that it was almost rare to see any of the senior staff in unaltered uniforms if they wore uniforms at all.

So, in my mind, customization should be:

For players and bridge officers (senior staff).

Everyone else should default to the Academy uniform the DOffs wear (unless they're an important NPC, such as senior staff on a ship, a questgiver, etc).

People should be able to set a default uniform for their lower decks officers aboard their own ship and/or for their fleet's NPCs, a single uniform template per division. (Although it might be really fun if fleet customization meant total customization for important fleet starbase NPCs.)
Career Officer
# 5
07-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Here's the thing about BOff costume slots.

I agree we could use it, but there's a critical issue you're not thinking about, one that may well be the only reason we don't have this feature yet.

STO's character models already have a large amount of things it needs to keep track of, vastly more than most other MMO characters need. This, as you might expect, takes up a lot of space on their servers relative to what a WoW or TERA character might. On top of that you have BOffs. You need at least five to run an endgame ship, and each has to be saved as well. And each of these has nearly the same customization of a player character.

In short, your one character has the contain the data for six characters, not considering extra costume slots for the player.

If your five BOffs each get another costume slot? That number nearly doubles to eleven. If you use your fleet and off-duty costumes, it's more like thirteen. And I haven't factored in additional characters you might have on your account.

To show you how big this can get, let's use my account as an example. I have about 14 characters. Each has about twelve costume slots, most only have ten or so filled. Each of these characters has at least four BOffs, but most have more like eight.

Averaging it to ten costumes used with six BOffs across fourteen characters, that's two hundred and twenty-four individual characters the server has to save. Eighty-four of those are BOffs only. If I bought a BOFF costume slot that unlocked account-wide, that number doubles to one hundred and sixty-eight. That brings the grand total to three hundred and eight.

None of this is including data required to save items, ships, or anything else the server needs to keep track of.

tl;dr: As cool as it would be, it'd also ridiculously impractical space-wise.
Captain
# 6
07-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm not entirely convinced, jexsamx.

Consider ship collectors, or those with multiple alts per account - they require just as much database data space as unlockable additional BOff costume slots, if not more.

More importantly, because it's a pay-to-unlock service, it's not like all players would suddenly need extra N database columns overnight.