Ensign
# 1 Error in your tutorial
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I do apologize if this is the wrong panel for this information.

While I am not a navy person, I have been at sea more than I lived my life on land. In the start up mission and tutorial your Commander Davis should be referenced as acting Captain Davis or the XO or the CO depending on the situation. He told my character to go around Northeast of the warp core. Since there is no Northeast in space, I seriously doubt he would say this on a space vessel, much less than anyone would at sea on Earth. Ships do have a inclination to change direction.

As acting Captain, my instructions would be to head fore and starboard around it or simply clockwise. You kids at Cryptic or Perfect World, need to study some nautical phrases about as much as those writer on the shows. I enjoyed watching those shows in the past but they always made mistakes with nautical terminology and ranks. You are best to observe some actual naval footage or visit a naval shipyard.

Keep up the hard work and maybe this will pay off for you, when you get done with college. Then you can get a job working with Cisco Systems, EDS, or Microsoft. The Navy is a good life also, I am a US Merchant Marine myself.
Career Officer
# 2
07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Ah ha good one!!

I can imagine some forum posting like....

WTF!!!11 where is the starboard?? I went everywhere and couldn't find it, this game is broken, FIX IT NOWW!!!!11

Where's the actor captain??? is the mission bugged??

Don't forget the world is filled with idiots. And with people who don't master english.
They have to dumb it down as much as possible, otherwise they lose on potential income.

The motto is: Keep it simple, stupid!

As for rank and nautical terminology, I would imagine that after 4 centuries and countless civilizations encounteered, 20th century nautical terminology would probably be left in history books and a new terminology would be used.

You'll understand once you get older.
Career Officer
# 3
07-24-2012, 04:43 PM
When the game launched over 2 years ago I remember someone pointing out that Zachary Quinto talked about your shields in the Tutorial as Forward, Back, Left and Right. When he should have said Fore, Aft, Port, Starboard.

Cryptic's reply to this is they did it on purpose - to remove any confusion over nautical terms. Why? Because most games have never served in a navy. A yep, there are dummies playing the game who need this dumbed down. Sad but true.
Career Officer
# 4
07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Generally speaking, most of the people playing STO are not very knowledgeable on nautical phrases - - and so their use of the term "north east" instead of " starboard forward" probably avoid's them a-lot more headaches.
Ensign
# 5
07-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I don't believe the people who followed Star Trek are "stupid" at all, it is my considered opinion it takes a degree of intelligence to even be a viewer of the show. As for dumbing it down, that is a poor excuse, for a lack of learning. What I mean by that, we have too much dumbing it down in the US to the point young adults don't know how to read or write. People have a desire to learn even if it just to enjoy a game. I also play poker, I had to learn it to play it.

As for the jargon, the best film I watched in the theater in 1983 was "Star Trek:Wrath of Kahn" with my now departed wife. She and I greatly enjoyed that film. It had all the elements of two WWII u-boats fighting. They piped people aboard ship, they called officers Mister, they did about everything just as they should. The TV shows and this online game don't seem to have the same aptitude.

I am truly sorry, I didn't mean to come in here and start some debate. I probably wouldn't have even responded to the comments but that crack about "You'll understand once you get older." was very disrespectful and calling everyone stupid you should be ashamed of yourself. I am as old as I plan to get.

Don't bother coming back at me, just apologize to the others if you wish. I am done here.
Captain
# 6
07-25-2012, 07:59 AM
While I do understand your points, drivercat, the point the others are making is that this game is being played by people of various ages and cultures all around the world. And what interests you, due to your Navy background, has very little interest to a 7 year old in Spain who just wants to pew-pew ships.

While I prefer a little more hard science/facts in my sci-fi I also understand that 99% of the time Trek wasn't focused on facts. You talk about WoK but there were 726 episodes of Trek where those types of facts were generally overlooked and ignored. Trek has never really focused on those things to any degree because the emphasis was on the characters and stories rather then the details.
Career Officer
# 7
07-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Naval terminology aside, you are all missing a key point to his post. Northeast is confusing even as an in-game direction. why can't you say "clockwise" or "behind me" or show use the path tool from ESD? A friend of mine ran the tutorial and had no idea what he was talking about "Northeast" and went back up the way he came thinking that was north then east. I later explained to him they are referring to the minimap, not the direction in game.

It's important that this stays as confusing as it is though. The directions only get worse as the game progresses, so getting used to it at the beginning is important for your success later on.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Captain
# 8
07-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
why can't you say "clockwise" or "behind me" or show use the path tool from ESD?
Surprisingly I read a report a month ago about how the term "clockwise" is being slowly phased out of the vocabulary as children are generally only familiar with digital clocks now and have little to no experience with traditional face-with-hands clocks.
Career Officer
# 9
07-25-2012, 08:31 AM
While yes, there would be more correct terms and cool things to say, yada yada yada, I have to agree with some of the above posters.

The average gamer barely knows where north it, much less aft, or starboard, ventral or dorsal.
It needs to be dumbed down.

Just look at the Skill system... People could'n handle it, so it was dumbed down... Now people seem happy, despite most of the specialization is gone.

You may think that most players are Star Trek fans... Sadly that dosen't seem to be the case... I saw people asking who Worf was the other day... Seriously...?
Half these people have no clue. and the other half are busy answering questions to the first half
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Republic Veteran
# 10
07-25-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm creating a walk-through series of all of the missions in STO. My thoughts on the tutorial can be found here.

But yes, the Tutorial has a few plot holes.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Closed Thread