Lt. Commander
# 11
07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Well, STO still has text saying "left or right shield failing" when it's should actually be port and starboard shields. Funny thing is, the computer even says "port/starboard shield failing"
Lieutenant
# 12
07-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivecat View Post

I am truly sorry, I didn't mean to come in here and start some debate. I probably wouldn't have even responded to the comments but that crack about "You'll understand once you get older." was very disrespectful and calling everyone stupid you should be ashamed of yourself. I am as old as I plan to get.
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Keep up the hard work and maybe this will pay off for you, when you get done with college. Then you can get a job working with Cisco Systems, EDS, or Microsoft. The Navy is a good life also, I am a US Merchant Marine myself.
And this ^ wasn't disrespectful and rude? You came in here swinging and sent out a few punches, but I guess you forgot when you punch someone or someones you normally get punched back.

Quote:
Don't bother coming back at me, just apologize to the others if you wish. I am done here.
10 bucks says your not... Reverse psychology. now he is not going to post again so I lose that bet.
Career Officer
# 13
07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Surprisingly I read a report a month ago about how the term "clockwise" is being slowly phased out of the vocabulary as children are generally only familiar with digital clocks now and have little to no experience with traditional face-with-hands clocks.
Really? I has a sad.
----
Captain
# 14
07-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivecat View Post
I enjoyed watching those shows in the past but they always made mistakes with nautical terminology and ranks. You are best to observe some actual naval footage or visit a naval shipyard.
Besides the other reasons already pointed out in this thread, they even did this in the shows. Thus, this is canon. This game reflects the shows, which in turn did not strictly observe naval terminology and procedures. Starfleet is not the navy in space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleetfc View Post
Well, STO still has text saying "left or right shield failing" when it's should actually be port and starboard shields. Funny thing is, the computer even says "port/starboard shield failing"
I've been playing since beta, and I don't remember the computer ever saying anything but left and right shields.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Career Officer
# 15
07-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
Really? I has a sad.
I also read a report suggesting that younger generations have a lot more trouble reading maps and understanding direction, presumably since everything is done with GPS these days.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Cryptic Studios Team
# 16
07-25-2012, 09:00 AM
While Starfleet is based on Earth Naval traditions, it's been centuries, and some things may have changed.

I did not write the dialog there, but your map ALWAYS has cardinal directions. Even in space there is a little N(orth) up arrow on the map. I can only guess that north east was given as it is easily understood by the majority of people, and while it might not make sense on an actual ship, if you were to look at your map, it should be apparent which way was meant.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
# 17
07-25-2012, 09:18 AM
I noticed a couple days ago that some of my DOFF's are at rank 'Petty officer'. Apparently time doesn't erase some traditions.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 18
07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I noticed a couple days ago that some of my DOFF's are at rank 'Petty officer'. Apparently time doesn't erase some traditions.
Miles O'Brien was a Petty Officer (Senior Chief) much of his career.
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
I did not write the dialog there, but your map ALWAYS has cardinal directions. Even in space there is a little N(orth) up arrow on the map. I can only guess that north east was given as it is easily understood by the majority of people, and while it might not make sense on an actual ship, if you were to look at your map, it should be apparent which way was meant.
I would expect that for ease of understanding, the Federation would probably have a "Galactic North" and that north = up. That way all their 2D maps would be oriented the same. We do this now. We have generally agreed that north = up. There's really no reason it has be up, as in space, up and down are relative. We could easily put Africa and South America at the top of the map.

3D mapping and course plotting would likely work very differently, though I imagine most human designers would still equate Galactic North with up.

Of course this is a game, so at the end of the day you need directions easily understood by 21st century folks
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 20
07-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
Really? I has a sad.
Cheer up, maybe it means "deasil" and widdershins" will make a comeback.