Career Officer
I was so amazed that new ships would be released along with the Shipyards of the new Starbase update. As soon as I logged in, looked at the ship requisition officer, I was so disappointed to find out that these new ships are just upgraded versions of lower tier ships, only certain types are there to buy (no Miranda, Constitution, or even the Sovereign, one of the most popular designs), and, to top it all off, the new top tier of any ship still costs 2000 in-game currency.

Honestly, I expected the new ship varients to be worth fleet credits only. I think it takes long enough to get a Starbase up to that level and stock the Shipyards with ships, so why do we then need to pay 2000 ZEN just to get a new material for one ship and a little bit of a shield and armor bonus?

I understand that people can grind dilithium, do surveys (I also hate these, so much spam, so misleading), or just spend a bit of money to get ZEN, but there are those of us who don't have the money to buy 2000 ZEN to advance one ship to the top tier, who don't have the time to get that much dilithium (probably about 500k), and who don't have the patience for stupid surveys who give our computers all kinds of viruses and scams.

I understand not many people will agree with this, because they need to make their money somehow, but I would love to hear feedback on this.

Thanks for reading.
Captain
# 2
07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Heres another joke:

If you buy a C-Store ship, the price of the fleet variant is reduced to 500 instead... So you only have to pay 500 extra to get that shiny new ship... Every time you buy it.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 3
07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
The only caveat is that if there exists a c-store version of the ship and you have purchased it (I believe it has to be a T-5 ship but perhaps it works for the lower tiers as well) you only have to pay 500 Zen.

I bought an awful lot of schlock from the c-store before F2P, but ever since PWE took over Cryptic I have had no desire to spend any money and this latest tactic (making the most powerful endgame ships $20 per character) pretty much send the message that the company has shifted from a repeat business model where purchases retain their value for the life of the game to a model where they try to get as much money out of new customers as they can and they do that by devaluing the value of the in-game items that have already been sold.

I still love Star Trek and, other than the monetization strategy, I love this game. I will just spend my stipend and refrain from buying any z-points until Cryptic/PWE shows that they value the money I spend.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
07-24-2012, 10:20 PM
The value of these ships is not just the "shield and armor bonus", but the additional Console slot. I agree that the whole Fleet Ship Module via the c-store stinks.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 5
07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
I have no problem with there being a Zen cost to fleet ship modules.

The issue I take is with fleet ships having the same cost as other c-store ships that are account wide ships. Everything is supposed to be grind of money; this is grind and money.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
07-25-2012, 12:36 AM
CBS have said no to the Miranda and the Connie (and the A) from ever being a T5 ship.

One day people will accept this.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Captain
# 7
07-25-2012, 09:40 AM
You can buy/sell the Fleet Module on the exchange.
Banned
# 8
07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Gamer: New ships! YAY!

Cryptic: Trololol

Gamer: Y U NO USE COMMON SENSE?!

Cryptic: Moneymoneytrololol

Gamer: ******nit... aw well. Guild Wars 2 launches in a month, Mech Warrior Online is in beta, Phantasy Star Online 2 is scheduled to begin tests in the USA soon... See ya Cryptic.

Cryptic: Troll successful. ...hey, wait! WTF?!?!
Career Officer
# 9
07-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Good idea by PW to make money isn't it?
Starbases need extraordinary amounts of dilithium and then one have to buy from Zen Store to get a ship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaishinlegion View Post
Gamer: New ships! YAY!

Cryptic: Trololol

Gamer: Y U NO USE COMMON SENSE?!

Cryptic: Moneymoneytrololol

Gamer: ******nit... aw well. Guild Wars 2 launches in a month, Mech Warrior Online is in beta, Phantasy Star Online 2 is scheduled to begin tests in the USA soon... See ya Cryptic.

Cryptic: Troll successful. ...hey, wait! WTF?!?!
This message sponsored by Mongo Industries... We condone the use of all sarcasm and realism in this for the boundary of common sense....

Yeah definitely a no brainer. I will be checking out Mech Warrior online and Guild Wars 2. Cryptic has gotten its last dollar from me. Wife is so pissed, holy cow... I do not even mention the word STO or Cryptic around her.

Good Job Cryptic! Since you all proven again you do not listen to those of us who want you to succeed, sure you will have money all you like for a short bit, but your history is beginning to catch up with you.

Hope to see you online in other games Hakaishin. It was a honor to fight against you.