Republic Veteran
# 191
07-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maziken View Post
Value is in the eye of the beholder. Some may think the price is too much, some may not. But make no mistake, it is all subjective. Some here may think that me spending over $500 on a boardgame with expansions is a waste of money, however I do not.

If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. If enough people don't buy them, they'll probably drop the price after several months. But don't be naive enough to think that any amount of complaining here on the forums will cause them to instantly drop the price of an item.

As many stated before me, the market of supply and demand will dictate the price of the items.
And judging by the amount of negative comments on this and other threads about it,i'd hedge my bets on it not being in demand.

Join date July 2012 ... My feckin arse ( Feb 2010 )
"The great thing about the internet is its leveling effect; online all opinions are equally WORTHLESS." <------> Grant Morrison
Lt. Commander
# 192
07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
[quote=tinead51;4973291]And judging by the amount of negative comments on this and other threads about it,i'd hedge my bets on it not being in demand. [/QUOTE

^^^^THAT!
Lt. Commander
# 193 Wtf???
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM
As I mentioned in the C-Store Announcement Thread:

Quote:
Let me get this right...

$7 US for a VR, tradeable EV suit that has just slightly better stats than some of what is available for Dil or as a Drop. Per Character, per side?

Heck FIng NOO!!!! I don't care if the Fed is styled after what's seen in ST:First Contact. That is outrageous and asinine!

If the Fed/Kling suits were bundled together and Account wide Unlocked, then yea, I could see the $7 US. Not as is. No Sale from me!
All this is doing is making me think of spending any future Zen on Services only in the near future.

Thank you for the time...
Ensign
# 194
07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
From a business standpoint this is a stroke of genius. We all know that SOMEONE will buy these and put them in the exchange for an astronomical amount of EC. Why? So they can generate EC quickly to buy other items on the exchange, such as lockbox ships. This of course means more players will buy master keys because they're only 125 zen and these players will generate more EC to buy the suits, thus fueling the cycle.

The end result? Whether it's suits or keys, more sales will be occur in the store.

As for me, I shall keep my cash, thanks. I got a family to feed.
Cleverly disguised as myself - Helmsmn2
Career Officer
# 195
07-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoreshrvk View Post
There are six ways Zen can enter the system, and only one is purely free of RWD to the player, most Zen enters the game via RWD costs and transfers to other players via Time Costs (Doff System/Fleet System) and Game Time Costs (Mission Rewards etc...).

Scenario 1 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
- Player A buys the Zen with RWD and puts it on the exchange
- Player B buys said the Zen with Dilithium obtained from Game Time and Time, then buys the suit.
- Item originally entered via RWD with a transfer costs of Game Time + Time.
- Zen revenue directly attributable to STO.

Scenario 2 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
- Player A is a Gold Subscriber for RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend then puts the zen on the exchange.
- Player B buys said the Zen with Dilithium obtained from Game Time and Time, then buys the suit.

Scenario 3 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
- Player A is a Lifetime Subscriber paid for by RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend. Player A's months in game are < LT Costs/15 months, thus has not passed the break even point. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.

Scenario 4 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
- Player A plays the "Zen Giveaway" game and buys some of the promotions for RWD. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.
- Zen revenue not directly attributable to STO.

Scenario 5 - Past RWD Free Route
- Player A is a Lifetime Subscriber paid for by RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend. Player A's months in game are > LT SubCosts/15 months, thus has passed the break even point. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.
- Item originally entered via past RWD with a transfer costs of Game Time + Time.

Scenario 6 - True RWD Free Route
- Player A plays the "Zen Giveaway" game only does the free promotions and surveys. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.
- Item originally entered via Time with a transfer costs of Game Time + Time.
- Zen revenue not directly attributable to STO.

Scenarios 4 and 6 might be bad for Cryptic. All I can say is if you want the item and truly believe it is not worth the RWD costs, get yourself some good malware/anti-virus programs and start taking surveys.

Otherwise just don't buy it and hope PWE does not reach the false conclusion that:
Players did not buy the item means that they did not want it and thus making future items of the same nature are not a good ROI for the company.

When in reality it is:
Players did not buy the item because they felt the RWD costs did not provide good value to them.
The free survey ZEN scenario isn't that bad because PWE gets its money. What that boils down to is that they sold a huge bulk quantity of ZEN to an advertiser. That's not EXACTLY how it works but, in effect, they give an advertiser their best rate on ZEN and the advertiser pays for it when they get ad responses. Once the advertiser pays cash for it, the player is awarded it. That's how these survey/ad options work.

Of those, the one that is the worst deal for PWE is the Lifetime past its break even point. Yes, real money exchanged hands at one point but that's the one that involves continuing to give players something without receiving any new cash for it and it could stymie new cash sales. A pre-F2P lifer is even worse because their account broke even before PWE ever saw a dime from the game. So from PWE's perspective, they've given me $40.00 and if it weren't for the fact that I've spent more than that, would be in the red with me. Because Atari was the one who got my lifetime cash. PWE has never benfited from my sub money and has to manage their economy around giving me money for a purchase of a lifetime that they never saw a dime from.
Career Officer
# 196
07-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinead51 View Post
And judging by the amount of negative comments on this and other threads about it,i'd hedge my bets on it not being in demand.
You people never seem to realize that the people complaining on the forums are a small minority of the overall playerbase.
Lt. Commander
# 197
07-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
You people never seem to realize that the people complaining on the forums are a small minority of the overall playerbase.
Most.Overused.Nonsequiter.Ever .
Career Officer
# 198
07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncutter001 View Post
Most.Overused.Nonsequiter.Ever .
Um, not a non sequitur when I said it, because it followed along perfectly with what the person I was replying to was talking about. Basing the small fraction of the players complaining by how in demand the item will be is like filling a glass in the ocean and saying there's no fish in the glass, there's no fish in the ocean. The only fallacy in the argument was the statement he made. But I'll give you a point for using your fancy word. Next time come up with an argument instead of calling someone's logic into question in such a simplistic manner. What you did was the equivalent of not having anything smart to say, so you correct the person's spelling or grammar.
Captain
# 199
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
But if such a large portion of the forum goers hate it, there's a good chance a large portion of everyone will, too.
Career Officer
# 200
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Right, while it's true people probably protest more easily than they shower others with praise, the fact remains that not every thread on this forum is dominated by objections to as great an an extent as this one is. If the response isn't always uniformly negative, there are things to be inferred from the instances when it is. To dismiss these instances is a mistake.

And "you people"? Seriously? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I was in the presence of greatness.
Reave