Career Officer
A number of costume options in STO have transparent (usually energy field) parts. Why can't the facemasks on the EV suit be transparent? The biggest thing is dislike about the new Tholian incursion, and EV suit missions in general, is that your character has no identity. You look pretty much the same as everyone else.

Is it a technology problem? Is it a shortcut in the design? I don't get it.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Because people have big heads.

No, really. EV Suits are a straight up costume replacement. There is no part of your original costume that draws while the EV suit is on. As such, if the face mask were transparent, you would see a hollow, empty suit, and would be seeing through the back side of the head area.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post

No, really. EV Suits are a straight up costume replacement. There is no part of your original costume that draws while the EV suit is on. As such, if the face mask were transparent, you would see a hollow, empty suit, and would be seeing through the back side of the head area.
Creepy... can we get an option to enable that?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Actually, this makes a little more sense than you might think. One requirement for a space-going EV suit, which these designs originally were, is some sort of UV radiation shield (basically like a one-way mirror you see in cop-shows) if youre going to be operating anywhere near a star. For example, the space suits NASA uses have that gold shield that can slide down over the glass portion of the faceplate.

Unfortunately, thats the clincher, they figured out how to make see through faceplate's with radiation shields in the 60s. Here we are in 2409+.

Although, with the way the faceplate is angled and constructed on the EV suit models we have, a retractable radiation shield would be a bit hard to do.
Captain
# 5
07-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Not entirely convinced with tacofangs's response, considering that many of STO's body armor kits (Energy Dampening, Polyalloy weave) at least show the BOff's head.

I don't think it's that difficult to do the same thing with the body of the new EVA suits, but have a separate model file for the helmet with the transparent facemask.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Cryptic Studios Team
# 6
07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
armor is different, it gets added onto your existing costume. These suits entirely replace your costume.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 7
07-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Afaik, all helmets in STO are replacements for your head entirely. I guess they don't have costumes which goes OVER your head. That would be ideal but with so many head customization options (especially alien) that might be difficult for them.

Lots of things clip through our costumes currently. I can imagine huge ears and humungous noses extending beyond the confines of your helmet.
Career Officer
# 8
07-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post

Thanks for the explanation.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Captain
# 9
07-25-2012, 11:54 PM
While i can understand WHY it's done it still makes me a little sad THAT it's done. I'd love to see my characters through the face guard of the EV suits or even the STF helmets. any word on things like the Enterprise EV suits or different versions other than the mining look?
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
While i can understand WHY it's done it still makes me a little sad THAT it's done. I'd love to see my characters through the face guard of the EV suits or even the STF helmets. any word on things like the Enterprise EV suits or different versions other than the mining look?
how would you see them through the facemasks anyway the camera is generally behind while you are fighting... unless you are one of those types who sit there in a battle fixing your hair and staring at rocks.