Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 31
07-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm against Vote kick for the abuse possibilities.

I would like to see people who are reported for abusing game play (ie afker in a public queue) to actually be banned for a period of time from public queuing. I just don't think the GMs follow up on these reports or don't have the ability to follow up or don't have the authority to ban investigated afkers.

AFKer aside from putting a team down, throughs off the game's economy. Since it's easy to bot something like joining queues. They also get rewarded.

A player solution would be to use private queues or if in public queues have all but the afker(s) leave the match. Though this gets into another issue where people who are losing can just leave the Arena match and noone gets an award.

The logoff abuse is an issue in Arena. It can take away a kill needed to win a match.

Still, there's been issues near the Boston area where I've had times where I'd be dropped from Cryptic consistently (after awhile I stopped public queuing just so not to get on others nerves w/my DCs). It wasn't my ISP, and may have had to do w/the IPv6 implementation in the area.

Personally I favor giving GMs the ability and authority to investigate AFKers and have escalating bans for multiple offenses over time. I agree linger option for logoffs would be a good option for people looking to dodge being killed.
Career Officer
# 32
07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Technically, logging out can't really be considered an exploit. The user isn't getting ahead by doing it, they're only avoiding death which already has no consequences. Their time spent would be almost identical if they blew up and respawned. I suppose they may be allowing the rest of their team to come closer to winning a match, by not giving the enemy a kill point? But again, very little benefit there under the current system.

That said, I personally agree that there should be a "linger" put in place for queue'd maps, whereby if you disconnect your character remains in-game for a short amount of time. I'm honestly not certain it can be done, but I'll check with our Software guys about it.

As for AFK'ers... not a whole lot that can be done there, I'm afraid. You'll get people trying to cheat the system in any MMO. Other than removing the few existing rewards from PvP matches (which we don't want to do), I think a "Vote To Kick" option is the best potential solution to this, but such a system could be easily used for griefing other players, so it presents its own challenges.
Thank you for responding to this thread Borticus, however I strongly disagree with what you have just said. If two teams of equal skill were fighting each other, and one team always logged off before they died, the other team has no chance of winning let alone scoring a kill.

I just don't see how logging off in middle of in a fight isn't an exploit, but since it isn't I'm sure it's fine for everyone to do it starting from now on.

As for AFKers, Simple. Add a shorter afk timer where it auto-kicks you from the match if you're afk for more than 3 minutes or so in a pvp match.

Aytanhi of TSI, TSI fleet founder and leader OrganizedPVP channel Admin
Feel free to ask me about PVP or starship strategies. "No, I am not Borg!"
/channel_join OrganizedPVP If you are interested in learning PVP, looking for a team, or a private match
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aytanhi View Post
Thank you for responding to this thread Borticus, however I strongly disagree with what you have just said. If two teams of equal skill were fighting each other, and one team always logged off before they died, the other team has no chance of winning let alone scoring a kill.

I just don't see how logging off in middle of in a fight isn't an exploit, but since it isn't I'm sure it's fine for everyone to do it starting from now on.

As for AFKers, Simple. Add a shorter afk timer where it auto-kicks you from the match if you're afk for more than 3 minutes or so in a pvp match.
Are people Logging out in the middle of a fight really a big problem? i havent seen anybody do it in months, and really only one person in the game is known for doing it a lot and we all know who that is... as far as AFkers go yea a 3 min timer would be a good way to go.

Quote of the week:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
a pure cannon build is always less effective than original starfleet specs

correct build is as it comes out of the factory
Career Officer
# 34
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcritz View Post
Are people Logging out in the middle of a fight really a big problem? i havent seen anybody do it in months, and really only one person in the game is known for doing it a lot and we all know who that is... as far as AFkers go yea a 3 min timer would be a good way to go.
Watch the video I made earlier this week.

Aytanhi of TSI, TSI fleet founder and leader OrganizedPVP channel Admin
Feel free to ask me about PVP or starship strategies. "No, I am not Borg!"
/channel_join OrganizedPVP If you are interested in learning PVP, looking for a team, or a private match

Last edited by aytanhi; 07-27-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aytanhi View Post
That won't work. I have seen AFKers who weren't truly AFK. They were still needing on lockbox drops, but refused to participate in the match and remained sitting at the spawn point.
Rihannsu
# 36
07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
That won't work. I have seen AFKers who weren't truly AFK. They were still needing on lockbox drops, but refused to participate in the match and remained sitting at the spawn point.
Since it's a modified AFK routine, they can change it so that it's certain things you must do, like activating ship abilities, or firing weapons. 1-3 minutes is about right for a PvP.

I still like the idea of either disabling logoff in combat, or dropping people from a match if they logoff voluntarily.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 07-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 37
07-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Rewarding only winners is unlikely to be an immediate course of action. The gap between what you folks on this forum call an "honest effort," and what the average player can achieve, is a monstrous one. Very few people fine anything fun about doing their best and losing, and feeling like they've wasted their time. The type of player that is motivated by failure is not commonly seen in a casual-friendly F2P game.

I'll think about some of the other ideas though. "Mark as AFK" is a particularly interesting one. But again, I'll have to check with our Software guys to see if it's even possible.
May I point you tho this idea:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=14

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
the reply from the dev in this thread done more to kill my desire to play this game than any other of their collective epic fails.if u dont see why logging off is a cheat, denial of victory to your opponent, then you wont ever see anything clearly. there will never be any pvp balance, or even pvp additions we were promised 2 yrs ago. sad sad indeed. oh well off to check mwo status
Rihannsu
# 39
07-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoejoe View Post
the reply from the dev in this thread done more to kill my desire to play this game than any other of their collective epic fails.if u dont see why logging off is a cheat, denial of victory to your opponent, then you wont ever see anything clearly. there will never be any pvp balance, or even pvp additions we were promised 2 yrs ago. sad sad indeed. oh well off to check mwo status
Bort's point was that losing/winning in PvP is unimportant in the grand scheme of things. you still get credit toward the PvP daily. the PvP daily doesn't care how badly you got your butt stomped into the ground. winning the match doesn't really get you much.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 40
07-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Rewarding only winners is unlikely to be an immediate course of action. The gap between what you folks on this forum call an "honest effort," and what the average player can achieve, is a monstrous one. Very few people fine anything fun about doing their best and losing, and feeling like they've wasted their time. The type of player that is motivated by failure is not commonly seen in a casual-friendly F2P game.

I'll think about some of the other ideas though. "Mark as AFK" is a particularly interesting one. But again, I'll have to check with our Software guys to see if it's even possible.
Wow. Like that's just a huge compliment. I'd like to feel I'm included in that group but I'm thinking not.

Anyone that is a regular on this forum or in OPVP should understand what a neato thing that is to say about you guys!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.