Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Banned
Does the weapons fire from the spawned ships actually cause damage to a target or are they just flying around saying 'Chase me, chase me!'?
Rihannsu
# 2
07-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Their weapons do damage. They are basically AI reinforcements.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 3
07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
The ships spawned by Photonic Fleet are exactly like the ones spawned by Fleet Support, except that you get 2-3 of them instead of one, and they despawn after 30 seconds.
Commander
# 4
07-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Here's how Photonic Fleet works:

Click the button. Observe the cool effect of the photonic emitters firing up. Three friendly holographic ships will arrive (ships will be of varying types from your faction). Then, these ships have a 25% chance to actually do something before disappearing, thanks to the ability being broken.

After activating Photonic Fleet, there's a 75% chance for Slow Clap Processor to engage, applying Slow Clap III to all friendly ships within 10km for 15 seconds. This secondary effect scales with your Auxiliary Power level, and is modified by the Particle Generators skill.
Captain
# 5
07-27-2012, 11:21 PM
IMHO, they're mostly a temporary diversion when things are going awry in PvE. Not something I'd make part of a regular battle plan, especially with the 240s cooldown.
# 6
07-28-2012, 12:23 AM
They're glitchy but sometimes they can be lots of fun. Had a couple of photonic vorchas start throwing out photonic bioneurals at a borg gate yesterday. There was rejoicing.
Career Officer
# 7
07-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Photonics Fleet is really unreliable. It is all based on player threat mechanics. Let say you are guarding the IKS Kang in the space STF KA. You use you PF before the BoP or Raptor is with in the ten KIlimoeters to fire on the Kang the fleet will appear and disappear because you have no theat. Now if you were under attack and taking damage the fleet will stay. I could be wrong on how this works. If I am sorry and someone correct me. This is just how I see the them working. I do wish they would follow the science captains target. The PF is also fragile one good torp spread and all three are gone. Wish health was increased. The cool thing about Themis that in a PVP some people neglect to kill them, I have had two PF in at the same time.
Empire Veteran
# 8
07-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simeion1 View Post
Photonics Fleet is really unreliable. It is all based on player threat mechanics. Let say you are guarding the IKS Kang in the space STF KA. You use you PF before the BoP or Raptor is with in the ten KIlimoeters to fire on the Kang the fleet will appear and disappear because you have no theat. Now if you were under attack and taking damage the fleet will stay. I could be wrong on how this works. If I am sorry and someone correct me. This is just how I see the them working. I do wish they would follow the science captains target. The PF is also fragile one good torp spread and all three are gone. Wish health was increased. The cool thing about Themis that in a PVP some people neglect to kill them, I have had two PF in at the same time.
This is partially true The ability will not activate unless you're in combat, so while their effectiveness varies, they still fire on your target.

And considering they're essentially photonic decoys, the low health and shields is probably justified.
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Lieutenant
# 9
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Last time I played was in Season 5, but I can say that back then (and even coming back now) Photonic fleet is really effective when facing groups or in PvP for their extra damage. I fought my fleetmates all the time to test out new builds and abilities, and this one always annoyed the crap out of them, especially if I had a reinforcement ship thrown into the mix to keep them guessing. The only real disadvantages are the cooldown time (though that's a fair trade-off considering they stick around as long as you're in Red Alert), low health (again, understandable for balance reasons), and the fact that they don't know to only shoot Aceton Assimilators with torpedoes. I swear, I've lost so much health that way... .
Empire Veteran
# 10
08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terloki View Post
Last time I played was in Season 5, but I can say that back then (and even coming back now) Photonic fleet is really effective when facing groups or in PvP for their extra damage. I fought my fleetmates all the time to test out new builds and abilities, and this one always annoyed the crap out of them, especially if I had a reinforcement ship thrown into the mix to keep them guessing. The only real disadvantages are the cooldown time (though that's a fair trade-off considering they stick around as long as you're in Red Alert), low health (again, understandable for balance reasons), and the fact that they don't know to only shoot Aceton Assimilators with torpedoes. I swear, I've lost so much health that way... .
In-story, that's probably limited AI capabilities Having advanced enough AI to know to shoot Aceton Assimilators with only torpedoes would generally mean advanced enough AI to control a ship's every actions and possible consequences in various situations...

And we all know how that went in 'The Ultimate Computer'
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.