Lt. Commander
# 1 Updates around the Web
12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Some brand new updates for you this Thursday. Read on for more.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-17-2009, 09:05 PM
First!

It still amazes me how few predetermined races there are to choose from. I know i can make races like Trill and Cardassian in the character creator, but you'd think they'd have been made before hand.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smithy View Post
First!

It still amazes me how few predetermined races there are to choose from. I know i can make races like Trill and Cardassian in the character creator, but you'd think they'd have been made before hand.
Is there a popular MMO that has more? 10+ races at launch between 2 factions seems like a lot to me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Not really, but when you have an expansive character creator that can already create those races, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense not to just go ahead and make them. Cryptic has already said that player created races might eventually be made selectable, and I have a feeling that player made versions of already existing races will be the first up.

Another thing I saw on the thirteen interview. Due to avoid the cost of likeness rights, many pre-existing characters (Q and Data were given as examples) won't be showing up in STO. Understandable, but still a bit dissapointing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Not really, but when you have an expansive character creator that can already create those races, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense not to just go ahead and make them. Cryptic has already said that player created races might eventually be made selectable, and I have a feeling that player made versions of already existing races will be the first up.

Another thing I saw on the thirteen interview. Due to avoid the cost of likeness rights, many pre-existing characters (Q and Data were given as examples) won't be showing up in STO. Understandable, but still a bit dissapointing.
I get your point on the races, but it does make sense in the long run, as the most popular races people will make are most likely Romulan and Cardassian, which has been discussed to death as being the most likely candidates for expansion factions.

And I totally agree with you on your second point.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Was it just me, or were some of the quotes in the 13 article connected to the wrong questions?

Anyway, I do find it a tad odd there aren't a few more races available to us from the get go, especially considering some are pretty much human, like the Trill or Betazoid. Obviously it won't be hard to make it yourself, but it would be nice to have set up for you, especially if there are as many options as it appears. I mean, how long will it actually take me to find the spots among all the other options?

Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Bleh, that does suck. A mission where Q intervenes and does his "here, deal with this!" thing to your Captain would have been sweet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm getting a bit tired of people having a moan all the time about STO. I think we should all be happy about finally having this game soon to play. No wonder sometimes people are afraid to develop anything for Star Trek fans. We are the biggest moaners. Everyone asked for more Klingon info, Cryptic releases it and people still moan. Ask yourself this...Cryptic developed thsi game in TWO YEARS. We all know that is superfast in videogame development. Would you prefer to wait another year or two so you can have all the stuff you want included OR start playing in February and get all the stuff you want eventually.

I respect people freedom to voice their opinion but come on let's all make some effort to be happy and give Cryptic a break. Finally, all you devs working tirelessly for us, thank you for your hard work and thank you for finally developing this game I have been waiting for years to play. I cannot wait for the game to be released and have already booked a week off work to indulge myself.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Nothing new, really.
In the MMORPG article, though, I got confused. Everything about space combat that they've told us is "it will be slow, it will be thought-oriented, it will be like the shows". But the article on MMORPG said it was amazingly fast. Any ideas on what's going on?
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiospiper View Post
I'm getting a bit tired of people having a moan all the time about STO. I think we should all be happy about finally having this game soon to play. No wonder sometimes people are afraid to develop anything for Star Trek fans. We are the biggest moaners. Everyone asked for more Klingon info, Cryptic releases it and people still moan. Ask yourself this...Cryptic developed thsi game in TWO YEARS. We all know that is superfast in videogame development. Would you prefer to wait another year or two so you can have all the stuff you want included OR start playing in February and get all the stuff you want eventually.

I respect people freedom to voice their opinion but come on let's all make some effort to be happy and give Cryptic a break. Finally, all you devs working tirelessly for us, thank you for your hard work and thank you for finally developing this game I have been waiting for years to play. I cannot wait for the game to be released and have already booked a week off work to indulge myself.
You said it all.