Lt. Commander
# 41
11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I would like to know how frequent new seasons will be released?

Will missions intersect? e.g. I've started a diplomatic mission, on my way to Planet X I get a new mission.
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-10-2009, 10:05 PM
In City of Heroes/Villains, Cryptic introduced mission creation tools for players to make their own mission for other people to play, is there any plans for this in Star Trek Online?
Lt. Commander
# 43
11-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasJohn16 View Post
In City of Heroes/Villains, Cryptic introduced mission creation tools for players to make their own mission for other people to play, is there any plans for this in Star Trek Online?
If this type of thing comes out for STO, then rules must be set and displayed prominently regarding what is and isn't allowed for player made stuff. The devs for CoX copped a lot of flack from their mistakes.
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Star Trek (as an IP) doesn't seem as much about killing mobs as the typical MMO. There's a lot more diplomacy, and science (finding cures for strange diseases etc), for example. How is Cryptic going to make episodes feel different from the sort of typical MMO instance with trash mobs and bosses etc?
Lt. Commander
# 45
11-10-2009, 11:57 PM
My 4 questions;

1) Will Klingons have something similar to this?

2) Will there be carreer specific episodes? For example a science officer can take episode X, but a tactical officer can't do that episode?

3) Do you need to use carreer specific abilities to solve episodes? For example, does an engineer get to repair a warpcore or a scientist who needs to research a weird disease?

4) Is it possible to solve episodes on multiple ways (for example blazing guns or talking things out) or is the episode more linear in approach?
Lt. Commander
# 46
11-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
It's time for another Ask Cryptic, where the questions you ask go straight to our developers. This round, we're talking about Episode Missions, those mission arcs in the game designed to feel like you're playing an episode of Star Trek. If you have questions you'd like to ask the team, please do so in this post's comment thread. Read on to learn a bit about Episode Missions.

Link to the news article.
In principle Episodic Missions / Storylines sound interesting. But it sounds so linear when it comes to MMO's, because it seems like EVERYONE is going to be undergoing all those same storyline missions. Which in the long-run sounds boring.
Lt. Commander
# 47
11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
In principle Episodic Missions / Storylines sound interesting. But it sounds so linear when it comes to MMO's, because it seems like EVERYONE is going to be undergoing all those same storyline missions. Which in the long-run sounds boring.
I don't think you can really say that. We have no idea what these "episodes" are like. I'm hoping they are not stock standard MMORPG quests dressed up like missions. By the sound of it they aren't.
We can't really say if they are bad or good or boring without actually seeing it as a player.

But it sounds so linear when it comes to MMO's, because it seems like EVERYONE is going to be undergoing all those same storyline missions. Which in the long-run sounds boring.

Are you trying to say you don't want the same quests that are similar across all MMORPGs?
As it is, all MMORPGs have the same or similar quest structure. STO may have something that's different to the standard quest structure.
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-11-2009, 12:23 AM
How much choice will the player have in deciding the outcome of the episode? You mentioned "negotiations with the captain of a Klingon Bird of Prey." Will one player be able to talk him down with no battle and another decide to fight straight away?
Lt. Commander
# 49
11-11-2009, 01:08 AM
1. What percentage of Episodes are instanced?

2. Will Episodes be dynamic to my skill levels, or are they static in difficulty?

3. If someone drops (from lag for example) on a 5 Player Episode, can the remaining players continue if they wish?

4. If a player drops, can I replace him with one on BO's by 'calling my ship' or do I have to exit and restart the Episode?

5. Can I pause an Episode to finish later if I have to log when we are the sole player there with our BO's?
Lt. Commander
# 50
11-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Are the main storyline series' episodes meant for single or group play or is there going to be a mixture?