Lt. Commander
# 71 Viable Diplomacy
11-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I'd like to reiterate what others have asked regarding the use of diplomacy, science, medicine, trade, deterrence theory and such to complete missions.

Are those (non-violent) approaches to conflict resolution going to be viable ways to progress through and experience content?

I think it would be unfortunate, and boring, if the only way to succeed was by killing things. I understand that some players will be happy to slaughter and destroy everything on their way to becoming an Admiral. I'd just like to see equally viable alternate paths available.

I realize sometimes you'll need to fight, as some people and ideas are willfully immune to reason. Even so, I'd like to see fighting as a last resort, rather than the first and most common approach.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 72
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
It has already been stated that different factions will have different episode missions, but about what percentage of the content would you say is different from faction to faction? Furthermore, will the amount of episodes available to Federation players be equal to the number available to those playing a Klingon?
Lt. Commander
# 73
11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
- Will a system of randomly occuring patrol missions be availible ingame if a player chooses to explore areas of deep/unknown space (ei: Voyager) ?

- As much as I enjoy CO, having to repeat the same storyline over and over with each new character does get old quickly, will STO be along the same strict-linear storyline template?

- As we increase our ranks through episodes and work toward new ships do the stats (numeric shield amount/hull points) for the different ships change to reflect our rank or are the ship stats set in stone and only changing equipment/systems change the shield/hullpoints? *

* I may not have worded this in an easy to understand manor.
Lt. Commander
# 74
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Approximately what percentage of quest content will be comprised of Episode Missions? Will we primarily be leveling via Episode Missions, will they be rare treats on our way up to Admiral, or are they end-game only content?

How are seasons divided up? Are they based on rank ranges, do you need to complete one season before progressing to the next?

Will Klingons and other future races also have Episode Missions? Will they have the same number of seasons and episodes as Federation characters? If not, what alternatives will Klingon players have to Episode Missions? How will Klingon episodes differ from Federation episodes?

How will new Episode Missions be added to the game? As individual episodes or full seasons? At what rate could we expect new seasons to be added; one every few months, one per year?

Will new seasons be added for free through regular updates or will we have to buy them (either through the C-Store or via expansion packs)?
Lt. Commander
# 75
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Will we be seeing plot twists and "surprise" episode architectures? In the television shows, one of my favorite episode types were the episodes which built up an expectation for one type of resolution (ie., combat or diplomacy) but were ultimately solved using a completely different, unexpected approach. Will we be seeing either this sort of device in the game's episodes or alternate completion paths/parameters allowing more than one way to resolve an episode?

Also, can we hope to see the occasional episode which completely breaks the mold, such as in the episode Starship Mine?
Lt. Commander
# 76
11-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I realize that I am part of rather a small sub-culture, but I always try to avoid pre-scripted content in MMORPGs because I feel such content often violates continuity.
As such, my question is if it will be easy to avoid such content in STO (regardless of faction), and will I still receive access to more or less the same ships and the same areas of space as I would have if I had played through all the episodes?
Lt. Commander
# 77
11-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyorD View Post
Also, will there be any randomly generated missions similar to those on Ultima Online's bulletin boards or Star Wars Galaxies' job terminals?
You will probably come across randomly generated encounters (ship and planetside) by exploring. As to pulling up a menu of random missions like in UO or SWG, I don't know.

----------------
Now playing: Muse - Interlude
Lt. Commander
# 78
11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
You will probably come across randomly generated encounters (ship and planetside) by exploring. As to pulling up a menu of random missions like in UO or SWG, I don't know.

----------------
Now playing: Muse - Interlude
Aye, I realized this has been addressed in the past to some extent, what with all the talk of "infinite exploration" using Genesis, so I've removed that part of the question.
Lt. Commander
# 79
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
- Will a system of randomly occuring patrol missions be availible ingame if a player chooses to explore areas of deep/unknown space (ei: Voyager) ?

- As much as I enjoy CO, having to repeat the same storyline over and over with each new character does get old quickly, will STO be along the same strict-linear storyline template?

- As we increase our ranks through episodes and work toward new ships do the stats (numeric shield amount/hull points) for the different ships change to reflect our rank or are the ship stats set in stone and only changing equipment/systems change the shield/hullpoints? *

* I may not have worded this in an easy to understand manor.
Repeating the same storyline is common in all MMO's that I know of. While yes, that does suck, even the almighty WoW does that. I constantly found my alliance toons going thru their noob zone, then going westfall, darkshire, STV, Tanaris, Crater, then outlands, where everything REALLY repeted itself with quests. I'm expecting quests to always repete themselves for the same faction, but what intregues me is the player-added missions, or whatever it actuitally is called.

What I would like to know is, what Cryptic plans on doing for grinding. Will there be random ships that we can grind out for xp if we only have 15 min to play? Or is everything episode based? While I understand that we can "pause" the mission, I can see myself wanting to finish what I start when I start it. So, I would like a "15 min. alternative."
Lt. Commander
# 80
11-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
Repeating the same storyline is common in all MMO's that I know of.
SW:ToR is going to be the first MMO that changes this. Even if Cryptic cannot (now) include this, it would be nice if updates would begin to have different stories depending on your career path. Thus, a science captain would have more science episodes than engineering or tactical.

I really hope there is a difference depending on if you're Klingon, Gorn, or Orion; however, evidence so far leads to the contrary.