Lt. Commander
# 81
11-14-2009, 02:48 PM
It has been stated that Episode content will have an overarching storyline with many plots and sub-plots tying together. With that in mind, will all the episodes be completely linear or will there be self-contained episodes that will be put randomly in the episode chain?
Lt. Commander
# 82
11-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Most people who play MMO are growing dissatisfied with story-based missions that stay the same for each and every time they're played through. For example, if I have a diplomatic envoy to Planet Ten and I meet the Red Lectroids there, the reasons for the mission will always be there and so will the Red Lectroids.

Will older Episode Missions change in time or will an "earlier season" always be there, ruining immersion, so that players wonder why the same Orion pirates have been causing the same problems and no amount of victory changes this.

There are other ways of approaching design of dramatic and epic situations in an MMORPG. And also emergent dramatic and epic situations can be done too -- and might even be preferrable if it's thoughtfully executed.
Lt. Commander
# 83
11-15-2009, 02:14 AM
What kind of enemies will the federation and Klingons be facing apart from each other and can you team up and explore with a friends ship?
Lt. Commander
# 84
11-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob39874
What kind of enemies will the federation and Klingons be facing apart from each other and can you team up and explore with a friends ship?
Neither of those are episode questions, however, it has been stated you will be able to group. In fact, at least some of the Admiral tier missions/quests/episodes will require multiple ships.
Lt. Commander
# 85
11-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadawn
Most people who play MMO are growing dissatisfied with story-based missions that stay the same for each and every time they're played through. For example, if I have a diplomatic envoy to Planet Ten and I meet the Red Lectroids there, the reasons for the mission will always be there and so will the Red Lectroids.

Will older Episode Missions change in time or will an "earlier season" always be there, ruining immersion, so that players wonder why the same Orion pirates have been causing the same problems and no amount of victory changes this.

There are other ways of approaching design of dramatic and epic situations in an MMORPG. And also emergent dramatic and epic situations can be done too -- and might even be preferrable if it's thoughtfully executed.
it will be instanced, so your complaints are, for the most part, unfounded.
Lt. Commander
# 86
11-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadawn

Would those same people complain that when watching a DVD of a TV series that the season was exactly the same as it was the first time they watched it?

It's a choice to replay a game, just as it's a choice to rewatch a TV show. You make that choice knowing that you're getting the exact same thing over again - but that's surely the entire point. You're watching it again/playing it again because that was good, right?

I think the instanced random encounters and explorations should really be enough for the crowd constantly looking for something 'different'. If Cryptic intend on structuring their main plot content as faithful 'episodes' and 'seasons' - just as a TV show - then they shouldn't be expected to not follow through and leave those seasons to be 'rewatched' just as you would bung in a DVD of TNG etc.
Lt. Commander
# 87
11-16-2009, 01:27 AM
how soon, and how often do you plan on adding more episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 88
11-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Will there be crew member specific side quests/missions similar to Mass Effect?

Will there be PVP missions similar to those offered in SWG's Restuss PVP Zone, IE missions that players can get from an NPC in the PVP zone and work with others to complete, but can only be done in a PVP zone?

Will there be missions where players can have their friends on their ship with them, and if so, how will this work?
Lt. Commander
# 89
11-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Is this posted somewhere in a readable format for mobile viewing? I would have to scroll side to side to read it.

And for the intelligence challenged, no I don't expect an immediate reply/solution, but would be nice to have it addressed for future posts.

**Edit** Ok that was odd. I went bak to see if maybe I could save the text or some such and it formatted to fit the width of my screen this time.....
Lt. Commander
in the many star trek episodes, there has always been away missions where the away team are stranded for a certain period of time because the ship in orbit is experiencing difficulties like being under attack etc.. my question is, will the ground missions be in real time in relation to space, for example; if your on the ground, will your ship be run by AI.. or will your ship simply dissappear for other captains whilst your on the ground, and will there be scenarios where you and your team are stranded and have to find away off the planet.

another question would be, when you die in an episode (or at any other time i.e hit points reach zero). do you respawn on your ship, or will you spawn on a starbase and have to rendevous with your ship at the last known coordinates?