Survivor of Romulus
# 61
07-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Could you put in a duplicate of her, set to appear at the end of combat in the exact spot and animation of the first? Then, use an invis object as the talk to interaction?
Couldn't you remove the "kill npc group" objective?

I've got a map in one of my missions where you fight your way through several mobs to talk to an NPC. The last mob is placed right around that NPC, but the only objective on the map is a talk to contact. You still have to fight the mobs, but the NPC is tied to an objective the whole time and can't be hurt.

I find I like divorcing combat from objectives. It allows players to bypass combat if they can or want to, and in this case ? if the invulnerable NPC thing works the way we think it does ? it allows the vital NPCs to remain alive even while combat is going on right on top of them.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Starfleet Veteran
# 62
07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Could you put in a duplicate of her, set to appear at the end of combat in the exact spot and animation of the first? Then, use an invis object as the talk to interaction?
That could work in a pinch. Probably best not to gamble on whether the contact gets killed for smoothness.
Starfleet Veteran
# 63
07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Couldn't you remove the "kill npc group" objective?
I could, but people have commented how the nature of using the orb of possibilities quantum shadows was unexpected and fitting with the nature of the Npc character, even if the attacking mob was spawned as a non objective fight, the room is the lower area of the Utopia planetia shipyard where the oddysey plans are displayed; I boxed it off with walls to make it seem like a room in an odyssey class ship, and it is very confined and any fighting at all has a high chance of collateral damage killing her.
Survivor of Romulus
# 64
07-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Yeah but theoretically if your NPC was tied to a talk to contact the whole time, you could fight all you want around her and she'd never get killed.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Ensign
My Foundry tab is still greyed out. I have no access to the Foundry. Is this the same for everyone? I've read conflicting posts on this subject.
Captain
# 66
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker75 View Post
My Foundry tab is still greyed out. I have no access to the Foundry. Is this the same for everyone? I've read conflicting posts on this subject.
"create content" is greyed out for everyone. They haven't turned the editor back on.
Starfleet Veteran
# 67
07-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Yeah but theoretically if your NPC was tied to a talk to contact the whole time, you could fight all you want around her and she'd never get killed.
True, the only reason it was an object interact was to make the player kneel behind crates along with it
Career Officer
# 68
07-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
In all honesty, the current npc contact fix is ineffective and it needs to be addressed again. Contacts always need to be unkillable, otherwise missions will continue to be broken due to random npc deaths. This should be passed on to the NWN Foundry development as well because it is certain to affect that game also.

We shouldn't be constantly be playing workaround games over what is frankly a bug that needs to be fixed. Contacts don't die like this in the official missions and they need to be likewise invulnerable at all times in the Foundry.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 08-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Lieutenant
# 69 Mission bugs
07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Two of my missions have bugs that were not there before republishing,
Title, Infinite Avatar project ID ST-HG0BBIBID or it may be HGOBBIBID. Map 3 Kendra provence, the spawn point is now too low and the player falls through the floor of the city.

Mission Nuclear Wessels Project ID ST-HRM2VMWPD Map 4 area 51 4 NPC's are outside in the wrong place stuck too close together, and are in the wrong place.
Survivor of Romulus
# 70
07-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
In all honesty, the current npc contact fix is ineffective and it needs to be addressed again. Contacts always need to be unkillable, otherwise missions will continue to be broken due to random npc deaths. This should be passed on to the NWN Foundry development as well because it is certain to affect that game also.

We shouldn't be constantly be playing workaround games over what is frankly a bug that needs to be fixed. Contacts don't die like this in the official missions and they need to be likewise invulnerable at all times in the Foundry.
Where you been man, finding workarounds is what we do When you're building a mission in the here and now you gotta deal with the system as it is, not as we would like it to be, though by all means we should tell Cryptic what we want. Maybe it'll get fixed, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 07-31-2012 at 09:46 AM.