Career Officer
# 71
07-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks, but where's the beef? This article was all fluff and no substance.
Empire Veteran
# 72
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd like one of these dev's to clarify for me the reason they are using lobi store which has been stated as a money store basically they are selling all these melee weapons but they take this melee weapon put it in a store when melee doesn't even work to the point that it can't be used in the new ground instances or stfs as well as other weapons. A huge factor I believe they want to stay away from it is because most KDF races benefit from melee and they cannot have it actually working. For the love of kahless why are you going to keep selling broken items.

Last edited by zeuxidemus001; 07-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 73
07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinead51 View Post
And sweeping it all under the carpet isn't helping either.

They're both as bad as each other,dont try and pick sides.
Sweeping it under the rug? You clearly read my post wrong... as I'm trying to get to the root of the issue, and clear any biased opinions about Cryptic.

Cryptics devs are good human beings who love Star Trek; we've seen evidence of this time and time again (just check STOked). But they are caught between a rock and a hard place with the real issue that's squeezing this game: PWE

They have to do what PWE says, or no jobs and STO flatlines. And they can't say anything that suggests they don't like this arrangement. In other words... Cryptic is good but caught in bad circumstances. That does not automatically make them bad.

So, whenever I see an opinion trying to say Cryptic is just as terrible as PWE, I laugh That's just as ludricrious as the earth not rotating.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Starfleet Veteran
# 74
07-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
I'm betting capthayden wasn't around for the "Year of Drought" that was 2011. If he/she was, they would know how bad things were during the past year. Many of us (such as myself), stuck it out despite the drought. After Free-to-play, how have the long-time veterans of the game been rewarded? Answer: They haven't. Instead we get screwed over time and time again. Doesn't matter that they made more ships available at max tier. In my opinion, the tier system is a flawed concept from the start. ALL ships should be playable at max level, and your bridge officers RANK and DEPARTMENT should control the stations, not the station itself.

And by being screwed over, i'm talking about the "new and shiny" Fleet ships, and the LACK of any form of discount for the veteran players who ALREADY have the original ships.

Yes, to some, the DOFF system, Fleet Starbases etc are all considered "content". I myself consider them to be game FEATURES, and not so much content in it's own right. Most define content, as something you can EXPERIENCE for your self. Sending off your Redshirts to do the work for you, doesn't give you that experience. STORY content on the other hand, does. In 2012, we've had a grand total of SEVEN story missions; 5 Feature Episodes, Alphas (Klingon-exclusive) and the Friday the 13th episode (which ONLY is playable around Friday the 13th). In 2011, we had a grand total of FIVE story missions; the Feature Episode series. To release ONLY 12 new missions in 1.5 year, is not acceptable by any definition. Especially when you consider that the Foundry authors (when Foundry isn't broken, half the time), can manage to create dozens of missions of their own, with a much more limited toolset, in much shorter time.

Bottomline is, Cryptic doesn't have any intention of producing any new original story content of their own anytime soon. They instead plan to rely on Foundry authors to do the work for them. We've been promised an entire season of new story content (Season 7), but that has yet to be seen, WHAT it will have. Not to mention, we've been promised so many things in the past 2.5 years (since launch), most of which never came through. Cryptics promises are wearing thin.

In closing... capthayden may see my above post as nothing more than the ramblings of a "stubborn six year old". That is ofcourse his opinion, and he is fully entitled to disagree with if he so chooses. These forums are meant for ALL forms of discussion around STO, both positive and negative. I refuse to be a "brown nose", and suck up to Cryptic, after all the **** they've done the past 2.5 years.

For the record, I was here as soon as the game went live. I was here for the drought of 2011, which is also known as the conversion to F2P in otherwords and (if you took the time to do your homework, sir) you'd have found that I agreed with much of what you had to say in many of my prior posts, under the name of Tom_Riker01. I'm taking exception to the fact that you insist that nothing has been added to the game, when in fact a lot has been changed since the very beginning. I'll admit some of the recent business decisions have been disappointing. (The sudden, unannounced mass conversion of this very forum for instance), but the game itself has seen gradual, and I have to confess it has been gradual, improvement.

Call me a "brown noser" if you like, merely because I continue to have faith in the game, but since you were here so long ago; then you must remember that there was a real desire to see DStahl stay with the game originally as he seemed sincerely passionate about it. The "state of the game's", the "engineering reports", the "ask cryptics"... Never in my time have a seen a game where so many devs have hopped onto podcasts to openly discuss what's coming down the pipe or why they made the decisions they did.

I DO remember Lucasarts way of doing things, ala Star Wars: Galaxies, which consisted of "Here is our game, play it." Feedback, we're not interested. Got new ideas you would like to see implimented, we don't want to hear them. What? You want to add your own mission content?! Get lost. You can call this a dated example if you like, but the business model speaks clearly.

We may not be seeing the immediate release of the content everyone wanted, but the devs have been more than willing to discuss the game with the playerbase, which in my opinion earns them major points and continues to give me hope that eventually all our concerns will be addressed... it's just going to take time, and I have loads of it to waste.

Captain Hayden/Tom_Riker01
Career Officer
# 75
07-28-2012, 04:54 PM
There was nothing of any substance in this post. More rah-rah-rah claptrap, save this garbage for the internal e-mail threads. We know Season 6 launched. Some bits of it are fun but overall it's ramping up S5's grind-and-pay model to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Silly Rabbit, the Devs don't play the game. That's why they have no idea about the problems.
Captain
# 76
07-28-2012, 05:03 PM
I somehow feel that John Sheridan would have done a better job of motivational speeches than Stahl.

/B5

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Starfleet Veteran
# 77
07-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
I somehow feel that John Sheridan would have done a better job of motivational speeches than Stahl.

/B5
What about Matt Foley?
Empire Veteran
# 78
07-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainvallent View Post

If we can establish a reward system that makes sense for Foundry Play (and a reward system for Foundary Authors too!!!), then we can finally nip the "No Content in this Game" gripe once and for all.

The Foundry is chuck full of great missions- missions nobody plays because of the poor rewards for them. Fix that and you open up a wealth of content for everyone, Feds and Klingons alike.
I dare say that, if you take away the rewards and strip them down to bare bone content, Foundry missions are above-and-beyond, far better than any FE.
Isn't it sad that the player generated content is that good compared to the Cryptic generated content? Not saying the Cryptic content isn't good, too.
But a bunch of avg players can design such killer content with half the tools and probably less real ability. And those players certainly aren't making a comfortable living from it.
And it's even sadder that you have to be a paying subscriber to create that content.
And that that helps Cryptic make more money.
So they can...hire Developers to make more Cstore items to make more money.
Because Danny's already said mission content is too expensive because most will only do the missions once or twice.
Sad but True.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead
join date Aug 2008
Commander
# 79
07-28-2012, 05:43 PM
mission content to expensive? most of the foundry missions done in a few days are done to a much higher stnadard and much more interesting and much better written for there respective factions than ANY of the missions from cryptic and yet they take weeks over those by the looks of it
Lieutenant
# 80
07-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtiggy View Post
mission content to expensive? most of the foundry missions done in a few days are done to a much higher stnadard and much more interesting and much better written for there respective factions than ANY of the missions from cryptic and yet they take weeks over those by the looks of it
In the interest of fairness, I feel it should be pointed out that it seems to me that when the Devs create a mission they are building it from the ground up, literally, which increases the development time.

As for the quality, while I have not played that many Foundry missions I will say that what I have played was of a better quality than a chunk of the Cryptic missions.