Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
Now... They could make a ship I.S.S. with a name string modifier but it would fall outside the standard conventions of how ships are named rather than through the UI.

For example:

Make a consumable device.

Actually, you'd need two

- The device has an equip restriction, limiting it to Mirror Universe Star Cruiser, Assault Cruiser, Fleet Assault Cruiser, Assault Cruiser Retrofit (the C-Store variant planned). (This is to limit it to ships with that skin unlocked)
This device would be in the dilithium store for owners of the MU Star Cruiser (similar to the Galor restricted Spinal Phaser)

- Mirror Universe Assault Cruiser, Star Cruiser, Fleet Star Cruiser. (This is to limit it to ships with that skin unlocked)
This device would be on the dilithium store for owners of the MU Assault Cruiser (similar to the Galor restricted Spinal Phaser)

Now, these devices would be a consumable with that deletes the first six characters of a ship's name string and inserts "I.S.S." at the beginning.

I think you'd need to make it an equippable, consumable device to guarantee it only works on the ship with the I.S.S. skin unlocked. If it were done through the UI, without UI changes, they'd have to unlock it for all ships.

I'd propose calling these devices:

Mirror Assault Cruiser Christening Bottle and Mirror Star Cruiser Christening Bottle.

Like I say, they'd be in the dilithium store and restricted for purchase, only available to someone with the appropriate ship.

I'd suggest letting the Mirror Klingon ships use the prefix I.K.C. under similar conditions.

I.K.C. was the original proposed prefix for Klingon ships, based on a line in the Motion Picture where a ship is identified as "Imperial Klingon Cruiser", championed by Okuda and used in the Decipher cardgame. There is no hard rule for the Mirror universe Klingon-Cardassian Alliance but I like the "C" because it seems to imply Cardassian.

An alternative might be "A.K.S." for "Alliance Klingon Ship" since it's the "Klingon-Cardassian ALLIANCE" rather than "Empire."

Similarly, the Galor might have a "Kanar Christening Bottle" to become a "C.D.S." ship and Ferengi ships might have a "Slug-a-Cola Christening Bottle" to become "F.M.S."

I would also suggest having a couple of optional versions for all ships.

In particular, a TOS-flavored one that replaces "U.S.S." with "Starship," which is more true to how ships were referred to in TOS.

Similar accommodations could be made for the Aeon/Relativity's "U.T.S." prefix given that Geko has indicated an idea to get these ships in-game and playable.
Empire Veteran
# 2
07-28-2012, 09:21 AM
It could also be K.A.S. <klingon alliance ship> Tam Hegh.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Career Officer
# 3
07-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
It could also be K.A.S. <klingon alliance ship> Tam Hegh.
Yeah. But then you'd have a bunch of ships named the "Tration."
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
07-28-2012, 09:30 AM
I see no reason why the KDF or the Federation should use enemy registry prefixes on their vessels...

Although I would support a new prefix option for Orion ships... S.T.D.
Klingon Helmsman: "Captain, we`re approaching our targets !"

Klingon Captain: "I said Quiet, you idiot ! Now you broke our cloak !"
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-28-2012, 11:27 AM
it would just be a helluva alot easier just to already add the mirror ship skins and iss prefix. Id actually buy something from the z-store then.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
07-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjunior View Post
I see no reason why the KDF or the Federation should use enemy registry prefixes on their vessels...

Although I would support a new prefix option for Orion ships... S.T.D.
We want to defect to the cooler universe.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-29-2012, 08:31 AM
what about the ICC registry?
Career Officer
# 8
07-29-2012, 08:42 AM
why would I want to waste a device slot on something that only makes a cosmetic change?
Thowchum
Legendary Starfleet Captain
Fleet Leader, The Abductors
STO Forum Member since December 2010
Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
Career Officer
# 9
07-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Not a horrible idea, OP. This would permit further customization for those who wish to play as if they are actually from the Mirror Universe. And not from the UFP or KDF. These player's do exist. And it would be fun for them.

This could be a refreshing addition to the D-Store. Although, I'm concerned a good idea such as this will get bent into an overpriced C-Store item. I'll cross my fingers that it doesn't unfold that way.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

<=============================
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post
Not a horrible idea, OP. This would permit further customization for those who wish to play as if they are actually from the Mirror Universe. And not from the UFP or KDF. These player's do exist. And it would be fun for them.

This could be a refreshing addition to the D-Store. Although, I'm concerned a good idea such as this will get bent into an overpriced C-Store item. I'll cross my fingers that it doesn't unfold that way.
1k cp per character? :@