Career Officer
# 1 Omega Marks via Solo Content?
05-07-2013, 06:40 AM
I recently reached VA50. Due to restrictions on my playtime I almost entirely solo. But I'd also like to advance my character, if at a slower pace. I see lots of ways to acquire Romulan Marks solo, a few ways to get Fleet Marks, but none for Omega Marks.

Is the Borg reputation line intended to be group content only?
Career Officer
# 2
05-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Visit Defera in the Orellius Sector Block. Also do all the Red Alerts you can.

Honestly, though, if you want to make any real progress, you're going to have to do STF's. Unless mindless repetition (even for an MMO) is something you really enjoy.

Porthos is not amused.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
05-07-2013, 06:53 AM
The Defera invasion zone gives Omega marks. The yield is similar to New Romulus, but there's no equivalent of eppoh taggingg. Getting to tier 5 won't be bad this way, but actually getting gear will probably be soul crushing.

And mk XII set pieces will be impossible, since those items need borg neural processors which only drop in STFs, and very rarely at that outside of elite where you're guaranteed one. mk X and XI set pieces, the weapon/console set, and store unlocks don't use BNP so you can eventually grind these out on Defera.

Honestly, how limited is your time, really? A normal space STF pug from the queue will take 15-20 minutes of your time, 30 at the outside with a bad group, and has a basically 100% success rate and very high optional success rate. It'll require no communication (and trying will usually get you nowhere), and no teamwork or coordination beyond a shared knowledge of the basic procedures, which you can get from several sticky threads. For the most part, STO doesn't really have much distinction between solo and group play.

Last edited by hevach; 05-07-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Career Officer
# 4
05-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
The Defera invasion zone gives Omega marks. The yield is similar to New Romulus, but there's no equivalent of eppoh taggingg. Getting to tier 5 won't be bad this way, but actually getting gear will probably be soul crushing.
I spent two entire weekends hacking Borg to get my Mk X Assimilated space set and it was quite soul-crushing. And carpel-tunnel inducing.

As stated, if you want equipment, you really need to be doing STF's. I solo myself, so I just pug STF's. Usually works out ok. Sometimes, not. Start out on the regular difficulty and get to know how it works before jumping into Elites, though.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 5
05-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Quote:
The marks from there are low for the time taken and really can not be compared to Romulan marks, maybe it is to do with the fleet mark rewards too. If I do new Romulus, it's 10 per mission, 60 for the patroll, not counting bonus time. Throw in the radiation scanning and I can get an extra 90 on top of the missions ones just while doing the missions.

Yes I know they are repeatable at a faster rate, however it is some of the collect missions that make it so eye gougingly boring to the point it seems to take even longer. Sometimes it can take me 45 minutes or more to get the cortical nodes for one mission for 5 Omega marks. It is this random nature that makes it feel a lot worse. In roughly the same length of time I can get 70 Romulan marks, 89 if I wait to hand it in during the bonus time.

To me they need to bring more missions in for Omega marks, even more so with a third rep being added to the list.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
While you can obtain Omega Marks Via "solo" content*, It's generally slow going as the "fastest" Defera Mission forces you get 5 omega Marks every 15 Minutes due to a Cool down. But you do have the advantage of running several missions at the same time there. But Most of missions you can do solo require you to find X Of Y items, that are only loot drops of a certain area.

*Actually not even one of the Omega Marks "missions" is true "solo" content: you're on a map with several other players that can "help" or hinder you to complete a mission. The "Adventure zones" of Defera, New Romulus and Nukara Prime you will encounter other players. There are a few Missions are "done" when someone completes it on that instance.

The "fastest" Omega Mark Mission I know of is "Infected: The Conduit" on Elite or shortened to ISE (short for: Infected Space Elite). I've regularly seen teams do under 10 minutes for the entire mission. The Easier of the two "optionals" for Bonus marks is that you beat the Mission under 15 Minutes. The other is Making sure the Nanite Spheres don't connect with the Generator.

As long as you've can deal a certain amount Damage of in a short space of time. ISE is beatable. Even in Shuttles.. (Actually that link was on the "easy" version, where you should try it before doing Elite version)

As for Fleet Marks, you'd find some on Defera at the moment, but most of the stuff you get for being in a team. Plus you can't spend any Fleet Marks unless you're in a Fleet.
Lieutenant
# 7
05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I also recently started to do STFs after a long time being intimidated by them being group content.
But the normal missions are not more different than a Red Alert so you can simply queue up and do them with completely random people with a good chance of succeeding.
Just read the guide about STFs. It helped me a lot.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=282071

Elite STFs are a different matter, but the normal ones are enough to get reputation.
Captain
# 8
05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixalmaris View Post
I also recently started to do STFs after a long time being intimidated by them being group content.
But the normal missions are not more different than a Red Alert so you can simply queue up and do them with completely random people with a good chance of succeeding.
Just read the guide about STFs. It helped me a lot.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=282071

Elite STFs are a different matter, but the normal ones are enough to get reputation.
STFs are not really that intimidating. You can always jump into one whenever you want. You should read up on them on the "NOOB Guide to STF's" in The Academy forum here. Start with doing Normal STFs.

You get greater Omega marks during the Reputation Even times.

If there are any people out there that talk badly to you, just ignore them... they ARE a minority!

...and have fun!
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Start with Infected Conduit (Normal). Your team can't fail. Then move on to Elite. Once again your team can't fail.

These are a much better use of your time. Such as farming Nukia boxes before May 21!
Career Officer
# 10
05-10-2013, 12:00 AM
If you're a glutton for punishment, try Hive Space. Three separate, different Optionals for three times the bonus marks.

The downside is that you require a massive amount of teamwork for the first stage. Stages two and three is basically just a DPS fest.