Captain
# 11
07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Back in the days WishStone put up how a borg faction would work:

You are a drone.
Game goes in observer mode.
You auto recive and accept a mission to go repair a <item>
Your char walks without you being in control to <item>
Your char repairs <item> without you being able to do anything.
Your char returns to alcove.
Rinse/repeat.

She was dead on.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 12
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Back in the days WishStone put up how a borg faction would work:

You are a drone.
Game goes in observer mode.
You auto recive and accept a mission to go repair a <item>
Your char walks without you being in control to <item>
Your char repairs <item> without you being able to do anything.
Your char returns to alcove.
Rinse/repeat.

She was dead on.
Ha!

As funny as that is, controlling a Locutus would be interesting. I'm not sure if it would work, but it could be interesting.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 13
07-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I think it's on the dev wishlist to EVENTUALLY have a Liberated Borg faction.

I think the idea there is something of a cross between Seven of Nine, Hugh's rogue Borg, and the Borg Cooperative from Voyager.

So they'd be former Borg who have individuality and a culture BASED ON the Borg but something of a Constitutional Monarchy, so to speak. They'd value their tech, have more identification with eachother than their species of birth... But also recognize individuality.

An all Seven of Nine faction, basically.

I suspect we'll see that setup if Into the Hive ever happens, something like a few million Borg getting cut off and taking over a Transwarp Hub with a fleet of cubes/spheres.

But it wouldn't be playable until sometime after Romulans. And I think Cryptic will wind up having to redefine what the game is about just to make Klingons really work.
Career Officer
# 14
07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I think it could be done. It'd require a lot of carefully written flavor dialog, and a totally rethought way of giving missions, but it's possible.

For example. You don't play as a drone, you play as the ship. You are given orders, then you carry them out, playing essentially the same as any other space combat in-game. You finish your mission, turn it in, get a new one, and so on and so forth. Flavor assumes that the drones within you, the ship, are doing their jobs, sparing you the dull nonsense suggested a few posts above.

For ground, instead of the Captain and four BOffs, you can customize five types of drone specifically for ground missions. You pick which one you want to control directly, the other four behave as BOffs. From there it plays as any ground mission.

There would be no social zones, no item shops. As you level, gear is given to you. As you complete assignments, gear is handed to you. Gear you remove could only be discarded if you wanted to get rid of it.

Basically, it would be monster play.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

I think the idea there is something of a cross between Seven of Nine, Hugh's rogue Borg, and the Borg Cooperative from Voyager.

So they'd be former Borg who have individuality and a culture BASED ON the Borg but something of a Constitutional Monarchy, so to speak. They'd value their tech, have more identification with eachother than their species of birth... But also recognize individuality.

I suspect we'll see that setup if Into the Hive ever happens, something like a few million Borg getting cut off and taking over a Transwarp Hub with a fleet of cubes/spheres.

But it wouldn't be playable until sometime after Romulans. And I think Cryptic will wind up having to redefine what the game is about just to make Klingons really work.
No! Noooooooooo!(Smashes Mouse on the wall)
No more factions , you have a good create a character system and leave this new faction crap.... Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!
Captain
# 16
07-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Undine, Borg, Q, and all the other powerful races in trek lore should not be playable at all. They should remain powerful and npc. Otherwise we wouldnt have any decent boss fights.
Rihannsu
# 17
07-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

It'd be fun to have PC Borg show up at random in Red Alerts to trash the players trying to stop the Borg NPCs. As for a story... enh... the neo-Borg aren't the same as the Borg from the TV show. Having individuals in charge of ships works for the Neo-Borg.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Well, the Cubes could be fun in the STF with friendly fire on and no recognition system.

Player 1: Shoot that Cube!

Player 4 killed Player 5

Player 1: No! The other one!

Player 4 killed Player 2

Player 1: "Expletive removed"

Player 1 killed Player 4
Commander
# 19
07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble OP, but Borg are never goign to be a playable faction. This has been answer multiple times over the years and there is no intention nor any logical reason to make the Borg their own faction.

Plus Romulans are the confirmed next faction...when Klingons are finished....
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptskeeteruk View Post
Undine, Borg, Q, and all the other powerful races in trek lore should not be playable at all. They should remain powerful and npc. Otherwise we wouldnt have any decent boss fights.
There are decet boss fights?

Undine and Borg Player factions could work as a mini faction for time gated pvp events... they both hate each other... they both kill on sight...