Lieutenant
# 1 Why the grind?
07-29-2012, 02:38 PM
I think I have figured out why perfect world (the Asians) like to do the "meaningless" grind. IN most asians countries, one works for duty and country and family and honor. There life is a meaningless grind. And so, as revenge against us fun Americans, they put there life in a game, as a meanless grind.

What do you think?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
"fun americans" = lol
Commander
# 3
07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Lol people are going to misunderstand what you typed me thinks.

But PWE is just bringing the Asian MMO feel to the Western MMO world..which was mistake #1. STO was on its way to grindville anyway to try to keep us busy while little to no content is made (outside of Seasons).
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Lieutenant
# 4
07-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Like I said, Asains life = Eastern Model = No fun
Career Officer
# 5
07-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenor002 View Post
Lol people are going to misunderstand what you typed me thinks.

But PWE is just bringing the Asian MMO feel to the Western MMO world..which was mistake #1. STO was on its way to grindville anyway to try to keep us busy while little to no content is made (outside of Seasons).
I don't know that our cultures are so different.

I think a lot of the differences are more market-driven than culture driven. China has an economy that's growing at a robust rate and more income equality. The U.S. in particular has an economy that's declined and a rise in income inequality. We're leveling out.

Ultimately, there's the pragmatic consideration: content requires manpower, time, and brainpower to create. It requires far less manpower, time, and brainpower to consume.

So if customers aren't willing or able to pay as much, you as a developer have less manpower, brainpower, and time than you would otherwise. So you focus on ways mostly to keep people perpetually occupied between content releases.

Cryptic claims it takes over ten people five or six weeks to generate a half an hour of content.

They want people repeating that content if it costs that much to produce.
Republic Veteran
# 6
07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
EDIT, because I may have come across as a little self-righteous:

OP, you're kinda slapping some really broad generalizations around. You may wanna rethink your words a bit.
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
07-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Grind in STO? looking... looking...
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Lieutenant
# 8
07-29-2012, 04:03 PM
I never said that it was better. Sorry If I generalized. But I think they need to do better market research. If it's one thing that the gaming market in america likes, its customization and novelty.
Captain
# 9
07-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveofthefuture View Post
There life is a meaningless grind.
Doesn't that apply to all people that work at some meaningless job?
Career Officer
# 10
07-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't really see any grind in my STO gameplay, which is one of the reasons I like the game so much. In fact, levelling to 50 is a bit too fast. But that means I still have a lot to do at 50.

You can certainly grind in the game if you want (doing the STFs and/or the fleet mark missions over and over again, for example), but that's self-imposed grind. I would say that the devs provide the option to grind for those who love that kind of thing. Strangely enough, there seem to be a many people who love to grind for some reason.