Commander
# 11
07-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Grind is a very powerful instrument to influence your playerbase:
If a grind looks too steep to get done in a certain amount of time, it lowers the hurdles to pay for the short cut.
(as long as it is not too steep)
If a grind looks promising, it gets you played for a period of time, making you taking care for your characters. Once you're bond to your characters, it again lowers hurdles.

Players who don't like grinds, either pay (win) or leave the game very quick (again, win).
Players who like grinds, but don't want to pay, grow demand for ZEN, making the market possible (again, win).

Actually quite simple.
Lieutenant
# 12
07-29-2012, 05:06 PM
I just like story. That's all.
Lieutenant
# 13
07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
As soon as the Genesis engine is implemented there will be a huge open universe to explore. Exploration will no be flying around a golfish bowl, it will be charting unknown systems you can go back and visit. You will be able to build a fleet base at a system you find and people exploring will be able to visit.

OK, so the Genesis system has taken a little longer than promised at launch, but it will be finished soon. Right?
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
07-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenstein1 View Post
As soon as the Genesis engine is implemented there will be a huge open universe to explore. Exploration will no be flying around a golfish bowl, it will be charting unknown systems you can go back and visit. You will be able to build a fleet base at a system you find and people exploring will be able to visit.

OK, so the Genesis system has taken a little longer than promised at launch, but it will be finished soon. Right?
The Genesis system has already been used to create all the random explore worlds and auto populate etc, instead of a developer manually creating these (http://www.stowiki.org/Genesis_Engine).

The new Deep Space exploration system we have been waiting is totally different, and waill come after Starbases etc .... soon?
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Career Officer
# 15
07-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
The Genesis system has already been used to create all the random explore worlds and auto populate etc, instead of a developer manually creating these (http://www.stowiki.org/Genesis_Engine).

The new Deep Space exploration system we have been waiting is totally different, and waill come after Starbases etc .... soon?
Yeah. The Genesis system was mad-libs text with simple scenarios... and it didn't generate missions INSTANTLY, just procedurally.

Meaning they spent a few days letting a computer make a few thousand missions.
Career Officer
# 16
07-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenstein1 View Post

Genesis was never a real-time infinite world generator. It was a dev-managed mission generator that produced the current batch of exploration missions. Just like with the modern doff portraits, it produced somewhat randomized content, but devs trimmed away the unsuitable and limited its parameters to what made most sense.

Genesis eventually led to the Foundry. Think of Genesis as a foundry mission 'randomize' button. It took a finite amount of templates and swapped in finite lists of environments, enemies, and dialog.

People often expect much more from an exploration system. But as seen in other games as well (see Mass Effect 1), it's only possible to create an array of somewhat generic worlds that hopefully seem 'alien' and 'unknown' enough to simulate real exploration.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
07-29-2012, 06:41 PM
If Cryptic opened up the Galaxy with real exploration, the game would take on a new life. It would really feel like Star Trek with us boldly going into the unknown.

But STO's no longer that kind of game, it's really a grind waiting on the next grind with hardly any new things to do. I mean we had the same STFs for nearly 3 years as endgame, up til Season 6 where we effectively got new fleet actions to play in.

This Eastern Model style of grinding is really a dead end when it comes to development, because people get tired of the grind. But if it was like older MMOs where you knew an expansion was coming with new territories, dungeons, and things to do, then the grind isn't so bad. Unfortunately, STO is more like "hey we got 2 or 3 new missions 6 months from now that you burn up in a few days". So unless PW is really working on a real STO expansion, the game is going to become stagnant and players abandoning it for the next game.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Captain
# 18
07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Eastern style of grinding.... lol.... I take it none of you have played any other MMO's at all?
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Because R Kelly said there ain't nothin wrong with a little bump and grind

Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
Captain
# 20
07-29-2012, 07:36 PM
STO? Grind? Have you played Asian mmos for much of your life until WoW came along, and grinded that too?

STO is nothing like that. I log on, grab my Spacebattles buds, and we go kick a$$ and chew bubblegum.

Yes sometimes its ridiculous (Vault I'm looking at you, all cannons armed), but for most parts, STO's about afk-grinding (AKA doffs) which really isn't bad. Its accepting that there are better games out there, and we'd loved to play that and STO.

This is why I have a Skysong grinding away in Jade Dynasty, and doffs doing my bidding in the 24th century, while I'm wishing that as Chief Medical Officer IRL my life could be as cool as in the 24th, until I log into Azeroth at night. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.