Career Officer
# 1 Borg Red Alert advice needed
07-31-2012, 03:16 AM
At 2:07am, about half an hour ago I answered a Borg Red Alert in the Regulus sector. I was the only one there. I waited a few seconds to see if anyone else would warp in, but no luck. I looked around to see if the others, usually four ships, were already engaged, but that first group of Borg ships that spawns about 20km away towards the bottom of the screen was untouched so I decided that there was no one else but me. I went in and took out that nearest group alone. Then I looked around some more, took out a second group, and was nearly done with the third group when the timer ran out. I was in an Armitage class Carrier with 3 AP DHC, photon in front and 3 tetryon turrets in the rear. I have read numerous postings about STFs and try to outfit my ship based on those suggestions, but my resources are limited. I crafted my cannons, a turret, 2 science consoles (field generators), the tactical consoles for my guns, and my engineering consoles. I had to buy the rest off the exchange, all uncommon, best I could find. I was launching Danubes as fast as I could but I was having to evade and retreat a lot to recover shield/hull. My question is what should I have done differently. How do I prepare for next time. I never thought I would be in that position. If it happens again I want to have a shot at getting to the Unimatrix before I get pwned. Sorry if this is too much text but I'm not a good writer and did not know how else to say this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Career Officer
# 2
07-31-2012, 05:15 AM
In all honesty, you can't complete the Bord Red Alert alone. Even if you kill all the necessary groups in time, there is no way you'll take out that borg ship at the end. There are too many probes and spheres that keep attacking you, not to mention the unimatrix ship itself.

However I can give you some advice on your equipment. You don't want uncommon items, you want Very Rare items. You can actually get a lot of good equipment from the STF stores on DS9, and even from the Dilithium Store (button is under your minimap).
Career Officer
# 3
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
I may have been unclear. I had expected other ships to warp in as they always had because sometimes I get there first. They never arrived. Then I decided that I was in fact late and needed to find the other ships but I saw no engagements. I thought about leaving but the "exit to sector" interact button had not appeared. I also thought about the postings regarding ineffectual team members in STFs and chose not to cut and run. My question is what should I have done? How long do I wait before I leave? Do I wait where I warped in? I really don't want or need to be "that guy". Also, I can't afford the dilithium store yet, and I don't meet the requirements for the STF store. Thank you though. I am working on it.
Career Officer
# 4
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a timing thing. What time was this? Could be nobody was around.

You can join the RedAlert channel and notify others when it pops up, so at least people who are interested will be aware, and may join you.

I can generally solo two or three groups without any trouble in the time allocated, but I can't imagine trying to take the Unimatrix by myself.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
One surprisingly poorly known trick for taking down b'ger is to kill the regen probes first as you normally would. Then once they are down park yourself so that you are touching the unimatrixes hull. That's right, just sit there scraping his paintwork. Once you are in position just let the plasma ball hit you. If you are close enough the splash damage will do a lot of damage to b'ger and I don't mean your warp core breach! The plasma ball has a splash damage radius. It's small, but very powerful. If b'gers nearest shield arc is down then quite often it's hull will drop by around 30%-40% of max. I have seen it drop by 80% in the past.
It's shields will stop most of the blast but it will knock out the shield arc as well as knock off a couple of % of it's hull.
Please note, by plasma ball I mean the zappy thing that is like the blue plasma balls fired by V'ger in TMP and not the plasma torpedo spreads some of those b'gers like to spew.

Btw, why are you doing this in Regulus? In my experience Sirius and Regulus RAs very rarely succeed due to the influx of low level characters. No offence to the little guys, but they just can't do enough damage or take enough hits to make any difference.

Also, you can stop near the spires poking from the middle of the unimatrix to avoid most of it's weapons fire. I think it's only the probes and plasma balls you have to worry about then.
There was a sig here, but I gave up. Thanks {REDACTED}
Career Officer
# 6
07-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
Also, you can stop near the spires poking from the middle of the unimatrix to avoid most of it's weapons fire. I think it's only the probes and plasma balls you have to worry about then.
I actually park there so that I can destroy the plasma balls. (Eng in Sci Oddy) I noticed that the chance of success vastly increases when I play the role of ball destroyer, a lot of people seem to have difficulty taking them out in time.

Which is not to say I don't have aggro, by circling around that location I draw a lot of fire. Switching to this let us beat the Borg (in Sirius, in fact) with just 3-4 others, as I noticed they were unable to consistently destroy the balls before it touched them.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Republic Veteran
# 7
07-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
One surprisingly poorly known trick for taking down b'ger is to kill the regen probes first as you normally would. Then once they are down park yourself so that you are touching the unimatrixes hull. That's right, just sit there scraping his paintwork. Once you are in position just let the plasma ball hit you. If you are close enough the splash damage will do a lot of damage to b'ger and I don't mean your warp core breach! The plasma ball has a splash damage radius. It's small, but very powerful. If b'gers nearest shield arc is down then quite often it's hull will drop by around 30%-40% of max. I have seen it drop by 80% in the past.
It's shields will stop most of the blast but it will knock out the shield arc as well as knock off a couple of % of it's hull.
Please note, by plasma ball I mean the zappy thing that is like the blue plasma balls fired by V'ger in TMP and not the plasma torpedo spreads some of those b'gers like to spew.

Btw, why are you doing this in Regulus? In my experience Sirius and Regulus RAs very rarely succeed due to the influx of low level characters. No offence to the little guys, but they just can't do enough damage or take enough hits to make any difference.

Ahhhh! So that explains this one time, I set off my self destruct and I was hugging its underbelly, I went off and when I came back a huge chunk of hull was gone. I didn't think I could of done that much damage with my boom and I knew my group didn't have that much firepower.
Commander
# 8
07-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Heh, I tried to get into either a Sirius or Regulus one (don't remember which) and the darn thing was just empty. Seems like those two are also glitched more than the others, but I'd never be able to guess why.

As for little guys being able to help make a difference, it depends a lot on their skills and their build. I ran the Beta Ursae encounter on my "lowbie" tactical officer earlier today, and even with it scaling up to LA 44 I was pounding away pretty good on the probes and even the spheres (the cubes were another story, the darn things were one-shotting me, lol). I'm not sure how much I really helped with the unimatrix ship, but we did complete the encounter with plenty of time left on the clock.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.