Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
I have mostly been a casual player on STO, have 4 captains between 20-40 and my main VA that I have started to dabble into STFs with. I have been pretty lucky so far with mission and loot bag drops at the end and after running my first 5 STFs was able to grab the Borg Deflector as well as the MACO Mk XI Engines and Deflector from the vendors on DS9. So far I have been running the Borg Deflector and Assimilated Console along with the MACO engines and I have read several posts on the forums and it would appear that people prefer the MACO shields to the Borg shields.

So my main question is this, for an Engineering captain that takes on a primary tanking role in most of these STF runs, what setup would work best in terms of using 2 pieces from the MACO set and 2 pieces from the Borg set? Or is this even something I should be worried about? Since I'm running the Borg console I figured it would be good to at least have one other set piece for the regeneration bonus. I do prefer the stats on the MACO shield over the Borg shields but have yet to get the rare prototype drop for it so that is the last piece I am waiting on in the MACO set.

My main dilemma is the more I look at the two sets the more I prefer the MACO engines and deflector over the Borg so in the end it looks like I'll wind up running the complete MACO set as the bonuses just seem to fit my playstyle and ship set up better. Am I really going to miss anything if I get the full MACO set bonuses and don't get the hull regen from the 2-piece Borg?
Commander
# 2
07-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Borg Engine, Maco Deflector, Maco shield. The borg shield doesn't even hold a candle to the Maco and the Maco deflector has better shield and structural bonuses over the borg version.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Interesting, just from looking at the general stats and comparing between the Borg and MACO engines the MACO engines seem to be better for space combat with the better turn rate buff. Is that true or no? That was the main reason I was considering just going full MACO set, as the Borg Shields and Deflector don't really even seem to compare to the MACO set, I was just curious about missing out on the regen bonus.
Career Officer
# 4
07-31-2012, 07:25 AM
I have found that for tanking purposes, the Aegis Deflector and Engine and the MACO Shield are a great combo. With 2 pieces of Aegis you get +10% defense and an additional +12% from the MACO Shield. ((I might be off on the MACO but it is a high defense value.))
SUBSCRIBE to Priority One:
PRIORITYONEPODCAST.COM
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE ZMacGirthy
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmacg View Post
I have found that for tanking purposes, the Aegis Deflector and Engine and the MACO Shield are a great combo. With 2 pieces of Aegis you get +10% defense and an additional +12% from the MACO Shield. ((I might be off on the MACO but it is a high defense value.))
The problem for me with Aegis is I just don't really get the whole crafting part of the game, it seems that no matter how many materials I have(I have hundreds of each data sample type) when I go to Memory alpha I can make like 3 things and that's it despite all my mats and my crafting skill is still down in the 400s so I am a long way from being able to craft the Aegis. It's actually funny because I have the mats to make a lot of the 1000+ crafting level items but don't have enough skill to unlock them. It's the lower level stuff I seem to be unable to make enough of.
Commander
# 6
07-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmacg View Post
While the aegis set is good, it's best used as a full set, for the reactive hull buff. However, doing so will kill your borg hull regen proc (Which goes off quite a bit).

Maco shield does not give a 12% bonus to defense, it has a +10% resistance to all energy types, and 20% more vs plasma (Making it the most durable vs borg). You can go Borg engine, Maco shield, aegis deflector if you really want to, it may give an overall best bonuses to your stats while keeping the hull regen proc.

The reason I suggested borg engine is because you're probably already using the assimilated console, and the engine will not directly affect your stats like the deflector and shield does (Aegis will give a +5% defense, but in the grand scheme, that doesn't stack up against the hull regen). All the while, giving you the hull regen proc. Plus it's the fastest in sector space.

Don't worry about crafting the Aegis set if you don't have a handle on crafting, it costs almost as much to just buy it (Literally off by about 50k-100k EC). Even more so if you don't have the crafting skill (Takes about 700k to max out crafting).

Last edited by daiouvegeta2; 07-31-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
07-31-2012, 09:00 AM
MACO shield + 3 Piece Borg, this is the best all around survivability focused setup available to you.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
07-31-2012, 09:10 AM
You may be better off just buying the Aegis than making it.

3P Borg and MACO Shield is still the standard.
For a bit more DPS try 2P MACO (5% reduction to cooldowns) 2P Borg.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Commander
# 9
07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Edit: Corrected error in the math, somehow added both borg and maco deflectors together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
MACO shield + 3 Piece Borg, this is the best all around survivability focused setup available to you.
I disagree actually. I've been running the numbers and it's looking like 2 piece Maco, 2 Piece Borg yields the best results for survivability.

Keep in mind these are MK XII stats as I don't have the lower available. I'm including the assimilated console as well just to be thorough.

Maco 2, Borg 2 set.
+0.92% Critical Chance
+9.2% Critical Severity
+5.1 Starship Hull Repair
+5 Weapon Power Setting
+5 Engine Power Setting
+17.5 Starship Shield Emitters
+26.2 Starship Structural Integrity
+17.5 Starship Shield System
+8.8 Starship Electro-Plasma System
+17.5 Starship Inertial Dampers
+40.5 Starship Graviton Generators

6,085 Maximum Shield Capacity
(5% Absorption, 5% Bleedthrough)
156 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds
Reduces All Energy Damage to Shields by 10%
When receiving All Energy Damage, applies Power Conduit Link
+2 All Power Settings for 15 sec
Reduces Plasma Damage to Shields by 20%

Set Bonuses:

Magnetoplasma Relays
Passive
+5% Power Recharge Speed
+15 Starship Power Insulators

Autonomous Regeneration Sequencer

Passive
This system provides a passive bonus to your Hull Repair skill as well as speeding up hull regeneration both in and out of combat. There is also a chance to trigger an automatic hull regeneration sequence that will restore up to 30% of your total hull points once per minute while simultaneously reducing incoming damage, whenever incoming damage is received.
+0.35 Health Regeneration
+10 Starship Hull Repair
When receiving All Damage, 2% chance of applying Autonomous Regeneration Sequencer
+4.2 Hull Regeneration over 10 sec
Reduces Damage to Hull by ??% for 10 sec

With this set, you're looking at massive bonuses to Structural, Power insulators (vs shield drains), and graviton emitters, while getting a good bonus to shield emitters, starship shield systems, and +7 to Engines, Weapons, and Aux (While taking energy damage, +5 otherwise). You also have access to the hull heal, while a 2% chance, it can fire at any time you're taking any damage what so ever.

Maco Shield, Borg 3 piece set
+0.92% Critical Chance
+9.2% Critical Severity
+5 Weapon Power Setting
+5 Engine Power Setting
+5 Auxiliary Power
+23 Starship Structural Integrity
+15 Starship Inertial Dampers
+38 Starship Graviton Generators
+23 Starship Power Insulators
6,085 Maximum Shield Capacity
(5% Absorption, 5% Bleedthrough)
156 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds
Reduces All Energy Damage to Shields by 10%
When receiving All Energy Damage, applies Power Conduit Link
+2 All Power Settings for 15 sec
Reduces Plasma Damage to Shields by 20%

Set Bonuses:
Autonomous Regeneration Sequencer

Passive
This system provides a passive bonus to your Hull Repair skill as well as speeding up hull regeneration both in and out of combat. There is also a chance to trigger an automatic hull regeneration sequence that will restore up to 30% of your total hull points once per minute while simultaneously reducing incoming damage, whenever incoming damage is received.
+0.35 Health Regeneration
+10 Starship Hull Repair
When receiving All Damage, 2% chance of applying Autonomous Regeneration Sequencer
+4.2 Hull Regeneration over 10 sec
Reduces Damage to Hull by ??% for 10 sec

Multi-Regenerative Shield Array

Passive
When receiving All Damage, 10% chance of applying Multi-Regenerative Shield Array when any shield facing falls below 20%
approximately 315 Shield Regeneration applied once to each facing
approximately 1485 Shield Regeneration over 10 sec to each facing
Cleanses all Hazard Debuffs, such as the Borg Shield Drain, and continues to cleanse every 0.5 seconds for 15 seconds.

With this set, you're looking at a good bonus to Power Insulators, Graviton Emitters, Structural Integrity, +7 to Engine, Weapon, and Aux, and the set bonuses. While the shield regen is good, getting a tank's shields down to 20% often means the tank's shields aren't very durable in the first place. Plus it's only a 10% chance of firing while they're under that 20% mark, meaning your shields have to be very low and the opponent has still be firing at you, before you pop a shield heal, with only a 10% chance of it going off. The hull regen is much more effective, even at 2% because it's 2% at ALL times.

Aegis Set:
+0.92% Critical Chance
+9.2% Critical Severity
+5% Defense (+10% while moving with set bonus)
+5 Weapon Power Setting
+5 Shield Power Setting
+23 Starship Graviton Generators
+4.9 Starship Shield Performance
+9.8 Starship Shield Emitters
+19.5 Starship Shield System
+33 Starship Inertial Dampeners
+9.8 Starship Power Insulators

6,930 Maximum Shield Capacity
(10% Bleedthrough)
131 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds

Set Bonus:
Thoron Distortion Field
Passive
While moving the Thoron Distortion Field will grant a +5% bonus defense by deceiving sensors into targeting duranium shadows.

Reactive Shielding
Passive
When your shields are hit, Reactive Shielding has a chance to activate, increasing the resistance to the incoming damage type (to the hull, has no effect on your shields) for a short time. Reactive shields stacks up to 10 times, and can resist against several damage types at once.

With the Aegis set you're looking at increased shield power, graviton emitters, and inertial dampeners. The +10% defense may look like a lot, but the Maco2/Borg2 and Maco/Borg3 gives an ok engine bonus as is which cuts the 10% lead of the aegis down to about 7%. The Reactive shielding is good if your taking a lot of damage to the hull through your shields, but honestly it doesn't help survivability if you can't regen the hull as quick or have resistance on your shield like the Maco has.

Overall, it's up to the player, but the numbers to me look like they point to Maco2/Borg2.

Last edited by daiouvegeta2; 07-31-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Rihannsu
# 10
07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashuk2381 View Post
The problem for me with Aegis is I just don't really get the whole crafting part of the game, it seems that no matter how many materials I have(I have hundreds of each data sample type) when I go to Memory alpha I can make like 3 things and that's it despite all my mats and my crafting skill is still down in the 400s so I am a long way from being able to craft the Aegis. It's actually funny because I have the mats to make a lot of the 1000+ crafting level items but don't have enough skill to unlock them. It's the lower level stuff I seem to be unable to make enough of.
to have a char that is a good crafter you need to start at a very low level and build them up. Crafted gear is much more useful at low levels when you haven't had time to find good gear yet. If you have your char start collecting data samples and crafting at the lowest level they can and keep it up as you level, you'll be able to craft anything at VA. (if you have the mats) Reaching VA, THEN trying to craft is the hard way to do it. Getting a VA up to 1520 crafting skill would probably be best done by crafting blueprints. Yeah you need to make 152 of them, but you can sell the extras.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.