Career Officer
# 11
07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
like one year later........ screw it we're going f2p. engage the wallet milking droids
Career Officer
# 12
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Very interesting restrictions. As F2P: Limited Dungeon runs. No access to raids.

Completely contrary to stated Cryptic policy on why walling off content is bad.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Empire Veteran
# 13
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastorforthrigh View Post
PW would be smart to put a fair bit more effort into STO.

I amended your statement. I hope you do not mind.

I do worry that TOR will become more of a money grab than STO is simply becuase G.Lucas is more of a money grabber in my opinion.

Damnit, Han shot first!!! I lost all faith in George when he changed that.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 14
07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
delicious. simply delicious.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Captain
# 15
07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Time to cancel another sub. F2P games aren't worth paying a sub when MT unlocks get you the same thing for less money (ala STO).

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Captain
# 16
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Pretty sad that many of the urls in the F2P FAQ are currently broken. Looks like someone forgot the http:// in a number of urls and browsers are looking for a page instead of an url.

Hope that's not a sign of their QA.

edit: I don;t see a date when this happens.

reedit: Example of a bad link: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcen...elpcenter/6481
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Captain
# 17
07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Very interesting restrictions. As F2P: Limited Dungeon runs. No access to raids.

Completely contrary to stated Cryptic policy on why walling off content is bad.
Now there's something I've yet to hear. So why does Cryptic say walling off content is bad?
Captain
# 18
07-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
Now there's something I've yet to hear. So why does Cryptic say walling off content is bad?
PW has always had the policy that they're not going to restrict content. That's how they handle all their games. You can play everything for free, but if you want all the shiny fuffy parts, you either need to pay or grind.

SWTOR seems to be following LotRO, and will allow people to buy the additional content piece-meal if they don't want to Sub.
Captain
# 19
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't see any faults in SWTOR "Free" model. If you don't PVP, you don't need unrestricted access to Warzones. If you don't Raid, you don't need unrestricted access to Operations.

Both of which should be unlockable using real life cash, or via subbing. Their F2P features matrix seem to imply that you MUST be a subscriber to access the Raid content (Operations). One would hope, with more space MMOs being Free-to-play, it's a sign that other space MMOs such as STO need to step up their game, to keep players interested. "Nickle-and-diming" is never a good thing, but outright gouging people for money (Combat EV suits) is worse.
Captain
# 20
07-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
I don't see any faults in SWTOR "Free" model. If you don't PVP, you don't need unrestricted access to Warzones. If you don't Raid, you don't need unrestricted access to Operations.

Both of which should be unlockable using real life cash, or via subbing. Their F2P features matrix seem to imply that you MUST be a subscriber to access the Raid content (Operations). One would hope, with more space MMOs being Free-to-play, it's a sign that other space MMOs such as STO need to step up their game, to keep players interested. "Nickle-and-diming" is never a good thing, but outright gouging people for money (Combat EV suits) is worse.
The thing is its only going to hurt people who want to do that stuff... People who dont PVP or raid... arent going to care. Meanwhile people who want to do it are going to either:

A. See that they have to pay and pay for it.

or

B. See that they have to pay... and be annoyed. (And more likely this one)

You dont limit access to content behind a pay wall like that. I should be able to play the full game from start to endgame content fro free and then have to pay for the extra stuff on top of that. Limiting access to Operations in TOR is like limiting access to STFs here... at endgame that the only thing to do... people will leave if they cant play the end game content.... and developers dont want that.