Lieutenant
I search some of these data samples and rare particle traces in the Exchange and find them inexplicably high in price. I have even sold a few of these... things at ridiculously high prices [admittedly using auction for a stash before I figured out where the bank was]. Do these have purpose later on, somehow? I'm a level 26 science officer and have yet to figure this out.

Thank you!
Republic Veteran
# 2
07-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizzy View Post
I search some of these data samples and rare particle traces in the Exchange and find them inexplicably high in price. I have even sold a few of these... things at ridiculously high prices [admittedly using auction for a stash before I figured out where the bank was]. Do these have purpose later on, somehow? I'm a level 26 science officer and have yet to figure this out.

Thank you!
They are used for crafting and are needed for starbase projects I believe.
Captain
# 3
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizzy View Post

Thank you!
Data samples and rare particle traces are crafting materials. They are used naturally in the crafting system. The items that can be crafting use a certain amount of data samples, better items will require rare particle traces and unreplicatable material (which can be bought from the Exchange or Dilithium at a vendor at Memory alpha).

You can get a feel for the crafting requirements by look at Down Arrow on mini-map -> View R&D Progress. That will display items all of the items that can be crafted along with the crafting material requirements.

If you take the mission "Scienctific Mandate" from Admiral Quinn. That's the introduction into crafting.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
This page will explain it all ... http://www.stowiki.org/Crafting

This mission will give you an introduction .... http://www.stowiki.org/Mission:_Rese...26_Development
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 5
07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Data samples are not only used for crafting...

Other uses include:

- Production of MK XII consoles
- Production of turret platform
- Several Starbase missions

They are easily aquired through DuOff assignments.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Lieutenant
# 6
07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh I see! I partially didn't understand this because the R&D tutorial mission was glitched -- I could never complete it [and I still have that useless "Upgraded Power Cell" sitting, untrashable in my inventory -__-]. Has that been fixed yet? XD

Vulcan Science Officer -- Captain of the U.S.S. Ocis Coda [Tholian Recluse]
Ambassador of the Triumvirate of the Temporal Empire.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Ensign
# 7 elwood616
08-02-2012, 06:24 AM
If you go to the Memory Alpha system in the Alpha Centuri Block you can use the particle traces to research new equipment and items people there will explain more.