Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 31
08-01-2012, 02:43 PM
i still dont understand the transphasic thinking here... i mean seriously, this is only usable for pvp.

pvp doesnt want it

it has no use in pve with that shield healing debuff.

why are they doing this to us?
Starfleet Veteran
# 32
08-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
i still dont understand the transphasic thinking here... i mean seriously, this is only usable for pvp.

pvp doesnt want it

it has no use in pve with that shield healing debuff.

why are they doing this to us?
What do you mean? Its great for both PvP and PvE. I do not understand why you think it has no use.
Career Officer
# 33
08-01-2012, 03:10 PM
NPCs don't heal their shields.

That being said, I love the idea of a shield healing debuff -- but I hate having it tied to spam.
Career Officer
# 34
08-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by husanakx View Post
Assuming someone ran over a cluster under the old system then you have to use this probability formula...
1 - ( ( 1 - x ) ^ y )
When you do that you find that there was a 87% chance to land at least one proc in a mine cluster... hence why anyone that ran mines ONLY ran chrons.
I'm avare of this formula, but for some reason I can't make it apply correctly in this circumstance... Iff you drop 100 mines, and 33 of them proc, doesn't that mean the proc chance is 33%? So if we devide by 20, to get 5 mines, the number of procs become 1.65 ... Or are we working with different definitions here? (proc chance vs proc rate, probability or statistics?) And more to the point, how does the game define it? And do the devs even know how?

Using your formula, you will never get a probability of more than 100% (one proc), even if you drop 100 mines with 99% chance each. Maybe college was to long ago, but that doesn't add up to me.

Let's backtrack... If 100 mines produce 33 procs, what is the probability of a single mine proc? I'd say 0.33%. But if the probability of one mine to proc is 33%, the probability of a proc per 100 mines will never be 100%.... Even though the mines will proc 33 times on average.

Damn, i'm down to running in circles now. Help! Help!

(I stand by my previous match, that 5 mines would deliver 1.66 procs on average)

EDIT: have we left out the probability of 2, 3, 4 and 5 procs per cluster? (just a thought)
EDIT2: The more I think of it, I'm sure that the probability value is not applicable when calculating statistics. My bet is we're working diferent definitions.

Last edited by dassemsto; 08-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Career Officer
# 35
08-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I'm just not getting how 100%x4@.25 proc is a nerf to 33%x5@1 proc, but I'll take your word for it.
(1.00x4)/4=1, producing 1 full proc per cluster.
(0.33x5)=1.65, producing an average of 1.65 full procs per cluster
Empire Veteran
# 36
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
befor more brain cells get melted by math, check out this dev post-

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=46

im to lazy to click it! well it said chrono mines are goin to be procing at 80% instead of 100%
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Starfleet Veteran
# 37
08-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Wow, systems team strikes again. So glad I'm playing mechwarrior right now!
Jorf NDA!, I gonna smack your hands!
-------------------------

Future Capt Gecko II Hitlers take on PvP
Career Officer
# 38
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Piranha doesn't care anymore about just saying you're in the beta. Since they let all of the founders in it's become pretty much irrelevant. Just don't talk about anything else to do with the game and you're fine

Last edited by hurleybird; 08-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 39
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
mechwarrior

I think jorf has a good point there
Nerf Klinks, Buff Rommies
Cryptic Studios Team
# 40
08-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Quote:
NPCs don't heal their shields.

That being said, I love the idea of a shield healing debuff -- but I hate having it tied to spam.
This is a very reasonable bit of feedback. We'll definitely take it into consideration.

As for the folks saying "why bother leaving feedback" --- these Mine Changes are currently slated to cook on Tribble for at least a full week before being rolled to Holodeck, per my request. Dismissing your own feedback before even attempting to test the changes is only doing a dis-service to yourself. If you're concerned with changes being made, please go test them and give your honest feedback on their actual utility in combat. Dissecting patch notes can only get you so far, while hands-on experience is invaluable.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...