Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Rihannsu
# 51
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Some of you will be happy to hear that the current proc is, we've decided, far too PvP-effective, and PvE-ineffective, to be the final iteration that goes live. As a result, it will be removed in a future build and is likely to be replaced with an effect that will apply for both Mines and Torpedoes.

The design of this potential Transphasic proc replacement is still in discussion so I'd rather not spill any half-complete details at this time. As soon as we've got some more solid plans, I'll be happy to discuss them.
I can understand it. Though I am slightly disappointed in that the shield heal reduction proc is getting dropped for something else..

And it's true, it's not like the Federation PVE usage of Extend shields is that big of a deal.

Maybe though that is a problem..?

Maybe PVE should have more shield healing..I mean nothing insane.. but enough to keep that proc as a more viable option?

I'd just hate to lose a good Idea just because the PVE in the game is to dumb to make it a viable option.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Career Officer
# 52
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
The design philosophy that led to an additional proc being added to Transphasic is as follows:

Shield Bleed Thru on a single type of weapon means very little unless everyone in a particular team is using similar weaponry. In fact, high-bleed Transphasics could potentially be seen as less team-friendly than Quantums (e.g.) because they have a lesser effect on the enemies' shields, which your teammates need to have dropped in order to reach their maximum DPS potential. Additionally, hitting somebody's hull while their shields are still up means they're likely to have ample opportunity to recover from that hit before they are defeated.

Or, to put it another way, ignoring an enemy's shields is ultimately a bad idea. We wanted to find a way to offset that.

Some of you will be happy to hear that the current proc is, we've decided, far too PvP-effective, and PvE-ineffective, to be the final iteration that goes live. As a result, it will be removed in a future build and is likely to be replaced with an effect that will apply for both Mines and Torpedoes.

The design of this potential Transphasic proc replacement is still in discussion so I'd rather not spill any half-complete details at this time. As soon as we've got some more solid plans, I'll be happy to discuss them.
THANK YOU! for listening to us

a suggestion to mines might be- each one would reduce power levels of a specific type rather then having a "special" ability?

chrono- reduces engine power
photon- reduces aux power
quantum- reduces weapon power
plasma- burns as always
transphasic- reduces shield power

tricobalts- massive damage and slight stun

i think maybe 3 power per mine hit (no way to resist) stackable up to 5 times. (total -15 power)

this could also be applied to torps of the same kind. (and then theres that tholian torp that does 2 power drains)

just a ballpark idea.....

maybe have mines be untargetable until they start tracking would make them more useful?
Career Officer
# 53
08-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
I can understand it. Though I am slightly disappointed in that the shield heal reduction proc is getting dropped for something else..

And it's true, it's not like the Federation PVE usage of Extend shields is that big of a deal.

Maybe though that is a problem..?

Maybe PVE should have more shield healing..I mean nothing insane.. but enough to keep that proc as a more viable option?

I'd just hate to lose a good Idea just because the PVE in the game is to dumb to make it a viable option.
if shields heals are too powerful, then they need to be adjusted. not have a counter introduced that could potentially make them entierly pointless.
Empire Veteran
# 54
08-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
The design philosophy that led to an additional proc being added to Transphasic is as follows:

Shield Bleed Thru on a single type of weapon means very little unless everyone in a particular team is using similar weaponry. In fact, high-bleed Transphasics could potentially be seen as less team-friendly than Quantums (e.g.) because they have a lesser effect on the enemies' shields, which your teammates need to have dropped in order to reach their maximum DPS potential. Additionally, hitting somebody's hull while their shields are still up means they're likely to have ample opportunity to recover from that hit before they are defeated.

Or, to put it another way, ignoring an enemy's shields is ultimately a bad idea. We wanted to find a way to offset that.

wise choice the only shield healing npcs do, UNFORTUNATELY, is their basic shield regeneration. heres my suggestion, keep the new proc, but remove the distribution debuff, and have the healing debuff only be about 10%, not 50. OR make it a debuff of resistance, no more then 10 or 15% though. it would effect npcs
then

instead of canning this new proc, fix NPCs! add a line of code that triggers the distribute all button for them every 7-10 seconds. and give them abilities that cooldown at the same rate as skill do for us when we put 9 points into them. npc's need this, they would act more like player ships would, and it would train players how not to suck, and prepare them for pvp success. you could just do stuff like this on elite difficulty, so we don't have more of the dderidex defender bellyaching
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 55
08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
wise choice the only shield healing npcs do, UNFORTUNATELY, is their basic shield regeneration. heres my suggestion, keep the new proc, but remove the distribution debuff, and have the healing debuff only be about 10%, not 50. OR make it a debuff of resistance, no more then 10 or 15% though. it would effect npcs
then

instead of canning this new proc, fix NPCs! add a line of code that triggers the distribute all button for them every 7-10 seconds. and give them abilities that cooldown at the same rate as skill do for us when we put 9 points into them. npc's need this, they would act more like player ships would, and it would train players how not to suck, and prepare them for pvp success. you could just do stuff like this on elite difficulty, so we don't have more of the dderidex defender bellyaching
ive always thought it was extremely weird how the only ship that distributes shields are klingon bird of preys.. and they only distribute to the front....
Empire Veteran
# 56
08-02-2012, 12:00 AM
This is just my opinion on the matter keep the torp/mine ratio to 40/80 on shield penetration and then give them a dual small % chance proc that they will either get a higher shield penetration or the shield heal nerfing so it will balance out several problems that way. Concerns of it being the flavor of the month and not something of a choice and help out things like a b'rel being able to destroy a target potentially with having a better offense since they are extremely vulnerable in their 3 second dropping out state.
Captain
# 57
08-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Odd side note while testing a potential Brel Transphasic build in a DSE I saw a frig (mirrior universe I think) using ES on another frig. I've noticed when they aren't wiped quickly DSE ships tend to do more pseudo Boff abilities. Not necessarily w/a good AI though.

Also, while doing this I noticed after recloak while I'm not fired upon, the NPCs do maintain target even over 10k out.

Edit: Pre season 6 STF run NPCs would lose target lock.

My general concern w/the mine buffs is what is their stealth detection going to be? I've had these things follow me around while cloaked for awhile regardless of my aux setting. Boarding parties behave similarly and will follow me even after evasiving away.

B/c of spam cluttering UI, I've made them untargetable and they don't show up w/the yellow above them either anymore. I'd hate to have to turn this back on b/c they follow me around cloaked and give away my position.
Captain
# 58
08-02-2012, 12:43 AM
I think the problem with current healing, is that original STO idea was more focused on power management and less on BOFF skills to perform stuff.

I love the idea of healing debuff to deal with the Zombie disease in STO, but not if it is implemented as a counter to something which is wrong in the first place.
Career Officer
# 59
08-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
[...]
Or, to put it another way, ignoring an enemy's shields is ultimately a bad idea. We wanted to find a way to offset that.[...]
This should, logically, also apply for the Directed Energy Modulation ability, which is also rather not that good unless an entire team is built around it.
Captain
# 60
08-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
This should, logically, also apply for the Directed Energy Modulation ability, which is also rather not that good unless an entire team is built around it.
This is completely and utterly wrong... what on earth is team-dependent about DEM?