Lt. Commander
Some of my movie collection on my external hd are now playing back heavily pixelated. I have no reason as to why this could have happened but it's extremely frustrating as I have close to a TB of movies on this drive. Could this be a warning sign of impending drive failure?

Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Here is free advice from my hubby the PC guru;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Black
Try updating your codecs, if that don't work, try using another media player. If your drive runs S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) it should alert you before it goes out. I run VLC and Media Player Classic on my system, but wow a Terabyte of movies... too much PB dude you might have a viral worm eating your movies.
Hope he helped.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Captain
# 3
07-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgtburglar View Post
Some of my movie collection on my external hd are now playing back heavily pixelated. I have no reason as to why this could have happened but it's extremely frustrating as I have close to a TB of movies on this drive. Could this be a warning sign of impending drive failure?
If you can hear your drive clicking then it's about to go really soon... I replace my hard drives every five years so that almost doesn't happen with me. I read somewhere that it's the average lifespan of a hard drive...
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Every 5 years? I am glad you are not my husband.

The problem with averages means that a lot them last 8 or 9 years. Stop filling up the landfills with perfectly working hard drives. LoL
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Captain
# 5
08-02-2012, 06:39 AM
For a drive involved in heavy production work, having it last more than a few years is a good feat. As 'standard' as computer manufacturing is today, components do have a percentage chance of failure and its usually impossible to judge how long the device will last.

One HDD might last a decade, another of identical make and model and low usage might decide to conk out in a year, you never know.

@ OP:

The pixelation might be related to data corruption of some kind. It may or may not be related to actual drive failure but will suggest further testing and offloading the drives.

Note there are other factors too that may induce graphical artifacting such as overheating GPU, etc.

Testing - copy some files off the 1TB drive, play it from another source. Does it still pixelate? Play it on another computer or a mobile device - is the media 100% intact when offloaded? If its intact then its not the drive that's at fault.

As a redneck fix run scandisk on the affected drive, temporarily cease mass writes on the drive and flag it as suspect for now.

Hard drive diagnostic tools would be your best friend for now - look for something free and effective and can tell you the relative 'health' of the drive based on SMART diagnostic info. This will assure you the health of the drive and make future diagnoses more specific by cutting out the 'impossible' causes.

If you can get something to monitor GPU and HDD temperature those can be useful as well to see what is the weak link.

These self diagnostic solutions may not be 'professionally approved' but encourage you to look around, tinker, even search on google for possible solutions - remember this is the Internet and advice comes in all shapes, forms, and not all of them are truly effective for your specific scenario

A hint -

Google searching on the problem of "random pixelation on movies" yielded many, many hints regarding either graphics card (driver) or CPU loading issues, and virtually none regarding HDD failure.

Keep an open mind mate, and good luck
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Republic Veteran
# 6
08-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandukutupu View Post

The problem with averages means that a lot them last 8 or 9 years. Stop filling up the landfills with perfectly working hard drives. LoL
I replace hard drives when I run out of space. Which should be in about a month or two.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Captain
# 7
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandukutupu View Post

This is from personal experience. Almost all my drives have failed after five years. From my old Tandy RLX 1000 40 megabyte drive (six years) to my recently deceased Maxtor 250 GB (5.2 years). I guess it also depends on how much you use them. I'm glad I'm unmarried so I don't have to share my machine with anyone...

Now if a woman went up behind me and knocked me out with a club before dragging me off to the Justice of the peace... O_O
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
This is from personal experience. Almost all my drives have failed after five years. From my old Tandy RLX 1000 40 megabyte drive (six years) to my recently deceased Maxtor 250 GB (5.2 years). I guess it also depends on how much you use them. I'm glad I'm unmarried so I don't have to share my machine with anyone...

Now if a woman went up behind me and knocked me out with a club before dragging me off to the Justice of the peace... O_O
Holy **** you just said Tandy. I just got thrown in a time machine and taken back. It was awesome

Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.