Lt. Commander
# 931
03-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Spleens = Vented?
Lt. Commander
# 932
03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
The following is a note from a fellow geek / sys-admin, addressed to the IT and development groups. Its a bit dry for most audiences. Fair warning.

I have been in the shoes of the developers before. I had a VERY large program, distributed to over 200 servers, and it too had a memory leak. The start up allocation took quite a while. Downtime was lost money, and it would go down regularly. We were under intense pressure like you are today.

We too took the steps of assigning a lot of development resource, putting in a lot of debug info in the logs, writing parsers to track allock and dealloc.. Watching memory and file handles. etc. There were MANY fixes. Most leaks are not simple leaks, they are path leaks. A - B - C - D works but A-B-C-E doesn't.

The OTHER thing we did was simple, we worked on scripting the restart to be as fast as possible. Because the database loads on start up were huge, we had pre-cache files built that would be loaded on start up, instead of flooding the databases with conflicting locks. We had scripts time the start up and monitor each stage. We got the "restart" down to about 4 minutes, from a single command on one server. It was a distributed script dealing with Windows and Linux servers, using ssh and powershell. Not the most elegant script but it covered a rather complex start up, and handled the re-tries and error states. It has grown over the years but we still use it.

It IS possible to get even the most convoluted, heterogeneous, and data intensive systems to be more automated, and a little automation can go a long ways towards helping your start up efficiency, and saving you a great deal of man hours, as well as frustrated customers.

We continued with the debugging effort, but the simple scripting and optimization of the restart has proven invaluable. The problems were fixed, but eventually with more functionality came new problems. Stability comes and goes. Its unfortunate, but a fact of life in distributed complex systems that change. Don't just concentrate on today's fix. Make your system easier to manage, and it will pay you back greatly.
Lt. Commander
# 933
03-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I have been playing lots of MMO's and I must admit this is one of the worst for disconnections and problems and one of the most unreliable games i have played, just saying.

Lt. Commander
# 934 Every one STOP!
03-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Everyone stop buying anything from this game for atleast 2 weeks, even if you are a paid monthly STOP, don't go in to your account for 2 weeks, EVEN IF you need to add time. Make them suffer with out cash for 2 weeks so that the investors they use will force them to fix the stuff correctly. This is how you solve the issue. You ban together. Lower there profit margins. Make the people getting the profit hurt and watch them put people on fire for it lol SIMPLE!!!
Lt. Commander
# 935
03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Lt. Commander
# 936
03-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraclass
Everyone stop buying anything from this game for atleast 2 weeks, even if you are a paid monthly STOP, don't go in to your account for 2 weeks, EVEN IF you need to add time. Make them suffer with out cash for 2 weeks so that the investors they use will force them to fix the stuff correctly. This is how you solve the issue. You ban together. Lower there profit margins. Make the people getting the profit hurt and watch them put people on fire for it lol SIMPLE!!!
Here's the problem with that, even assuming that over half the people who read this pay attention, you get two problems.

1. Only a small fraction of players read the forums meaning that even if the entire forums stopped playing over 70% off the playerbase would keep buying and playing.

2. Lowering the amount of people playing will actually fix the server issues temporarily and make it harder for them to track down the database error responsible. Thus making them take even longer to fix the errors causing the constant crashes.
Lt. Commander
# 937
03-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Here's the problem with that, even assuming that over half the people who read this pay attention, you get two problems.

1. Only a small fraction of players read the forums meaning that even if the entire forums stopped playing over 70% off the playerbase would keep buying and playing.

2. Lowering the amount of people playing will actually fix the server issues temporarily and make it harder for them to track down the database error responsible. Thus making them take even longer to fix the errors causing the constant crashes.
Not to mention that reducing the income to a game like this won't solve anything, it'll just cause even more hassle in the long run.

I'd like to know what server crashes are happening that people keep on about, i have had 1 disconnect in about 6 months.
Lt. Commander
# 938
03-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaran View Post
Not to mention that reducing the income to a game like this won't solve anything, it'll just cause even more hassle in the long run.

I'd like to know what server crashes are happening that people keep on about, i have had 1 disconnect in about 6 months.
The server has been crashing on pretty much a weekly basis on a sunday for the past month or 2 as well as at least one other time a week.

The other week Rehpic made a post about the fact that it is a database error causing the issues and not a hardware problem here.
Lt. Commander
# 939
03-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Quote:
The server has been crashing on pretty much a weekly basis on a sunday for the past month or 2 as well as at least one other time a week.

The other week Rehpic made a post about the fact that it is a database error causing the issues and not a hardware problem here.
I blame the lockboxes.
Lt. Commander
# 940
03-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote:

Cheers for the explination and link, i was just wondering what people were on about as i'm on dailly and usually logged in at least 5-8 hours a day and have only ever had 1 crash due to server timeout/server disconnection.