Ensign
and just do space missions only as i dont like them ground based missions at all but thts just me (my tastes may not be the same as the trekkies) but would like to have option to avoid ground based missions/episodes thx also erm how do i change my login name and upgrade to a faster ship as this has not been showed to me yet ( im lvl 5)
Career Officer
# 2
08-02-2012, 04:54 AM
It's impossible to avoid anything ground based, that is if you want to see the entire story. Many of the main story missions are indeed ground based. You can if you want "SKIP" those episodes. The option is in your mission journal. Otherwise , just don't do ground based fleet actions, or STFs or whatnot. Just choose space battles.

I do not think it's possible to change your login name ? I could be wrong, but I think once you've choosen that name , it's your handle.

Also, a final thought. Patience is a virtue. You're level 5. Obviously by looking around the game, yes, bigger , faster ships do become available. Try and enjoy what you have. Levelling is stupid fast in this game. You'll be level 50 , flying the big awesome ships in no time.

But a more direct answer. You'll find out more when you make level 10 and become a Lcdr. Every RANK up , you get a new ship that is "better" than the one you were just flying.

Welcome to STO.
Hope you enjoy it.
Captain
# 3
08-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Every RANK up , you get a new ship that is "better" than the one you were just flying.
Except for Rear Admiral Upper Half, and Vice Admiral (levels 45 and 50 respectively).
Rihannsu
# 4
08-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I love ground combat. it's fun.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Ground missions are horrible in STO. I couldn't agree more with the OP. I do everything possible to avoid them.

What the hell is a vice admiral doing running around on a dangerous planet collecting data samples for someone who can't be botherred doing it themselves anyway???
>>> UniqueOne - Providing you with easy PVP kills since Feb 2012 <<<
Captain
# 6
08-02-2012, 10:38 PM
You get new ships at levels 10, 20, 30, and 40. If you want to level up very quickly, the Mirror Universe event goes quick, a couple levels in an hour, all space combat, but you have to be Level 10 to do it at all. But don't push it so fast on your first character, as you will make plenty of build mistakes and the faster you push the less time you'll have to spot your mistake and mostly-correct it (or at least not compound it). Or you can spend dilithium on zen and zen on a respec token, but you really do need to learn to know what works and what doesn't before you go spending money.
Ensign
# 7
08-06-2012, 03:53 AM
oh ok thxs for the tips guys i will now totally avoid story and just wait till i see it through youtube instead time to find and kiill the flying bots
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realuniqueone View Post
Ground missions are horrible in STO. I couldn't agree more with the OP. I do everything possible to avoid them.

What the hell is a vice admiral doing running around on a dangerous planet collecting data samples for someone who can't be botherred doing it themselves anyway???
Ask Jim Kirk.

WTF is an admiral doing getting in to a ship-to-ship battle with a stolen fed boat, or getting in to a fist fight with an angry Klingon, or going back in time to swipe some whales?

The Feds and the Klingons probably realize that they might as well issue orders to go do dangerous things, otherwise the Admirals will just steal the ships and go do them anyway.
Ensign
# 9
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdon7 View Post
Ask Jim Kirk.

WTF is an admiral doing getting in to a ship-to-ship battle with a stolen fed boat, or getting in to a fist fight with an angry Klingon, or going back in time to swipe some whales?

The Feds and the Klingons probably realize that they might as well issue orders to go do dangerous things, otherwise the Admirals will just steal the ships and go do them anyway.
jim kirk was alaways a bit fishy as tj hooker lol
Career Officer
# 10
08-07-2012, 04:14 PM
ground combat was bad at release now its ok but i like space combat more
Level 50 Cpts: W-T-Riker; Jadzia; Sharan; K'Dhan; T-W-Riker; T'Pok; Ehrehin; Shanara; Karana; Lukara
Subscribed For: 1200 Days 23-08-2013