Captain
# 1 Dilithium 101
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
This article features useful information about Dilithium, including what it is, how to earn it, and how to use it in-game.

Link to the article.
Career Officer
# 2
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
anything in the PVE Queue should now reward fleet credits and Dilithium.
After all isn't dilithium still considered an end game currency?
Jupiter Force: Jupiter Force
STO: Russell@Russell-KV4S
Twitter: @KV4S
Google+: RussellThomas.me
Career Officer
# 3
08-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Here are my thoughts:

Overall:
This is too wordy to be a useful 101 guide. That said, a 101 guide is a good addition. I just hope it can be cleaned up a bit so my fleetmates will find it useful instead of asking my to constantly explaining it.

"How Dilithium is Earned?"
The link to the Wiki page needs to be more prominent as it's the most important thing in this entire article. I get that you want to sell gold subs, so why not make this less wordy and put in a nice chart or table to clean it up?

How do I use Dilithium in-game?
Can you put a table or chart that shows all the places they can be used and where? It's not obvious because of the wordiness of your paragraphs. Essentially said, "You can buy ships, ground equipment, duty officers, craft, and tip foundry authors. Here are the places to go."

Also, why didn't you mention starbases here? (or did you and I missed it, thereby validating my point? )

How do I use the Dilithium Exchange in-game?
This explains the screens but still doesn't relaly help me understand what I'm doing. For example, "A. This is the ?Buy ZEN? tab.". You should bread this into two sub-sections. "How do I buy Dilithium" and "How do I buy Zen".

Lastly, the footnote is confusing. The focus of this article is on Dilithium, so why does *footnote mention Zen three times and Dilithium once? I also thoght made a typo initially until I re-read it a few times. Is there no cap on the amount of dilithium you can place (and why is that nap/no cap not mentioned here)?
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Captain
# 4
08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
You claim the playerbase controls the Dil Exchange.

This is INCORRECT.

It is actually controlled by MERCHANT PLAYERS, which you do nothing about, so they have full reign to ruin the game.
Captain
# 5
08-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
You claim the playerbase controls the Dil Exchange.

This is INCORRECT.

It is actually controlled by MERCHANT PLAYERS, which you do nothing about, so they have full reign to ruin the game.
that is not true. they control what they can, but the biggest control is still in Cryptic's hand. the day they release new content the exchange shifts (utnil fleet bases this meant that dilithium would lose value, but with fleet bases this meant it gains value).

yes, ofc the need for zen is coming from the players, but I cannot believe, that Cryptic does not take into consideration the dilithium exchange at a new release, and its price, because it has an obvious effect on the market (even more obvious, than your merchant players, plus these are more appearent on the exchange, not on the dil exchange)
Captain
# 6
08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Still waiting for the day that we can have an entirely "PLAYER CONTROLLED ECONOMY" in the game, where the players build things, sell them, and the supply/demand determines it's cost. Certainly not where we are now with STO's economy. The "Dilithium squish" of 2011 certainly helped in reducing the amount of varied currencies in the game, but since then we've gradually gotten more and more currencies to keep track of. Which is bloody hilarious considering Star Trek HAS NO ECONOMY in the 24th/25th Century.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Which is bloody hilarious considering Star Trek HAS NO ECONOMY in the 24th/25th Century.
Of course Star Trek has an economy. The economy in the Federation may not be based on currency exchange, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's just based on service. The implication (though it's never really stated) is that each person provides a service to society at no cost, and therefor needs no wages. Think of it this way, you run a store, but if you get your inventory for free, you don't have to pay any rent or utilities on your building or any other expenses, and you don't have to pay any expenses to live in a house and eat 3 squares a day... you don't have to charge your customers anything. If everyone provides everything for free, it all circles around and nobody needs any money... provided no one gets greedy.

When Starfleet officers (lookin at you Picard) say there's no money in the 24th Century, that's what they mean.

However... there's plenty of monetary systems around outside the Federation.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Still waiting for the day that we can have an entirely "PLAYER CONTROLLED ECONOMY" in the game, where the players build things, sell them, and the supply/demand determines it's cost.
Just because you want an economic model more favorable to you personally, does not mean it should be implemented.

Quote:
Star Trek HAS NO ECONOMY in the 24th/25th Century.
The term you're looking for is a "post-scarcity economy". Economic transactions still happen; simply the materials formerly considered scarce (and thus rationed by economic systems) are no longer scarce. There are always other scarcities.
Captain
# 9
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM
No, the term i'm looking for is exactly as stated: There isn't any money in the 23rd/24th/25th Century

Granted, there have been numerous contradictions throughout the years. But overall, they keep getting back to the idea that "The Federation no longer has a monetary economy system".

Confirmed, No money:
- ST: The Voyage Home; Gillian: "Don't tell me they don't use money in the 23rd century", Kirk: "Well, we don't."
- ST: Deep Space Nine (In the Cards); Jake Sisko: "I'm Human, I don't have any money."
- ST: Voyager (Dark Frontier); Paris: "When the New World Economy took shape in the late 22nd century and money went the way of the dinosaur, Fort Knox was turned into a museum."

Contradictions:
- ST: Undiscovered Country; McCoy: "Maybe it's a retirement party?" Scotty: "That suits me, I just bought a boat."
- ST: Voyager (The Gift); Janeway: "Tuvok's meditation lamp. I was with him when he got it six years ago from a Vulcan master, who doubled the price when he saw our Starfleet insignias."

And then we have this one...

Picard: "The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century... The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of Humanity."
Career Officer
# 10
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Gold members also have a special perk that allows them to refine Dilithium automatically upon logging in, up to one previous week?s worth.
This has never worked for me.
----