Career Officer
# 1 Recruiting In-Game: Etiquete?
08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Hello!
So my fleet is trying to recruit. However, I find myself stuck as to what's acceptable and what's not in the game.

I try recruiting through Zone Chat. I re-apply a message every 5 minutes around ESD and Starfleet Academy because of the potential for more people to beam in after a bit of time so I want them to catch the message if they have Zone chat up. Some feel doing that is "Spammy", and perhaps in an online game 5 minutes is too short a time before re-posting. So one of my questions is, what time span is usually acceptable for re-posting a recruiting message?

Also, are there any more acceptable areas to do recruiting? If so, what are they?

Or what rules do you live by when you try to recruit in-game? Or do you/your fleet? If you don't recruit in-game, how do you recruit?

Thank you for your time. I don't want to draw a bad reputation for just trying to grow my fleet.
Captain
# 2
08-02-2012, 02:20 PM
What's really needed ingame is some sort of bulletin board where people can leave fleet recruitment messages so as not to risk being silenced in chat by spamming
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Community Moderator
# 3
08-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entnx01 View Post
Hello!
So my fleet is trying to recruit. However, I find myself stuck as to what's acceptable and what's not in the game.

I try recruiting through Zone Chat. I re-apply a message every 5 minutes around ESD and Starfleet Academy because of the potential for more people to beam in after a bit of time so I want them to catch the message if they have Zone chat up. Some feel doing that is "Spammy", and perhaps in an online game 5 minutes is too short a time before re-posting. So one of my questions is, what time span is usually acceptable for re-posting a recruiting message?

Also, are there any more acceptable areas to do recruiting? If so, what are they?

Or what rules do you live by when you try to recruit in-game? Or do you/your fleet? If you don't recruit in-game, how do you recruit?

Thank you for your time. I don't want to draw a bad reputation for just trying to grow my fleet.

Zone chat is probably the least effective method of recruiting there is. And arguably the most annoying. Use sparingly.

Don't recruit via Zone chat in Sector Space anywhere.

Earth Spacedock is way too "noisy" already and while it's the right place in some respects you're just adding to the noise level and annoying people who are trying to have other conversations. You're also competing with the people who are trying to form fleets in the first place.

Never send blind fleet invites.

You can post a recruiting notice here on the forums. There are two forums specifically set aside for that purpose: Starbase One for Fed, and Qo'noS for KDF. I don't believe this is very effective either, but it's way more acceptable than Zone chat.

You can put some kind of link for your fleet in your forum signature. That way if someone on the forums likes what you have to say they might bother to check out your link.

From watching one of my fleet members, I suspect the best way of all to recruit is to team up with other players in PUG's (Pick-Up Groups), Friend them, get to know them, and then privately ask them if they're interested in joining your fleet. Ditto for PvP.

Helping newbies is another good way to recruit. It's a demonstration of the value of teamwork.

Some of the biggest fleets actually draw their membership from out-of-game channels. Gaming groups, Trek fan groups, etc.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 4
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
If you are advertising in zone chat max of maybe 2 lines of text every 15 mins+.

More often than that and you will meet with calls of spam.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Never send blind fleet invites.
Sadly, the ones that need to see this are the ones that won't read it.
Career Officer
# 6
08-02-2012, 02:48 PM
There is a bulletin of sorts through the Social "Find Fleet" option (shortcut: Ctrl+O). I've had several people join my Fed and KDF fleets through that this past week.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-02-2012, 03:37 PM
There is a dedicated subforum here. People would use it if fleets stopped spamming zone chats. I'm happy to report any recruitment message I see when I'm in a bad mood and don't feel generous enough.
Captain
# 8
08-02-2012, 03:51 PM
send private messages to ppl, who dont have fleets. most think it is annoying though. I cant speak on my behalf, I got three msgs like that, and the third time I said yes (basically the first two times I did not care about fleets, the last time starbases were announced, so I was on a look out), and I am a happy part of a fleet. though I dont rly get annoyed by these things easily, I can imagine others might (plus there is my positive experience which biases me)
Career Officer
# 9
08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
It doesn't help the annoyance factor of fleet invites when it takes a minute or longer for the invite to go away after you hit "Decline."

About 90% of the fleet invites I get are just a blind invite. Most of the rest are a PM asking if I'm looking for a fleet. I politely turn them down and they usually thank me for bothering to reply at all.

Every once in a while I'll get an invite accompanied by a PM congratulating me on the honor of being selected to join blah blah blah. Those people go on the ignore list.
Lieutenant
# 10
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
As long as you don't send blind invites, I don't really care. I don't pay much attention to the chat box anyway, so a little zone spam isn't a big deal.

Those blind invites really annoy me though. It feels like I'm being shanghai'd into resource slavery. "You there, you're coming with us to work in the dilithium mines!"