Career Officer
I'm sure this might have been technically very challenging or even impossible, but I was really looking forward to mines being rolled into torpedo skills (something Borticus had mentioned when he first brought the concept to the forums).

I'm not sure I'll be able to justify using mines without dispersal patterns and there is no way I can justify dispersal patterns over currently available options.

The opportunity cost is just too high, and Dispersal patterns should certainly not start T1 at Lt.

How do other people feel about this?
Captain
# 2
08-14-2012, 12:37 PM
That is a horrible idea. It means mines and torps are stuck to the same timer and boff abilities so you cannot fire a spread and drop a mine net as you pass by because you used up your spread ability firing the torpedo.

It makes mines useless.

To fix mines they need to change the way the mine global timers work. Its just dumb to have plasma mines cause a half-timer on photon mines when a photon torpedo does not cause a half timer on a plasma torpedo (only a 2 second delay).
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
# 3
08-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
That is a horrible idea. It means mines and torps are stuck to the same timer and boff abilities so you cannot fire a spread and drop a mine net as you pass by because you used up your spread ability firing the torpedo.
Borticus actually addressed that concern.

Here is the thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...highlight=mine

Here is the relevant quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Ah, I see. You're concerned that linking the two means you have to choose to launch EITHER an enhanced Mine -or- an enhanced Torpedo, while under the existing system you can launch both back-to-back. Is that what I'm understanding?

I wouldn't want to have to choose between an enhanced mine or an enhanced torpedo either.

To be honest however, I can barely justify Torpedoes for most content - much less mines.

So while the mine revamp had it's heart in the right place, taking dispersal patterns is still mostly cost prohibitive.

They have no business starting at Lt an going to Commander level, at the very least the different tiers of dispersal patterns were all moved down a peg.

So Tier 1 would be Ensign, T2 would be Lt. and T3 would be Ltc.
Commander
# 4
08-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Is there a way to roll them into one power where firing the torpedo doesn't burn the buff on the mines?
Captain
# 5
08-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair114 View Post
Is there a way to roll them into one power where firing the torpedo doesn't burn the buff on the mines?
That wouldn't work in practical use. While you usually need to drop mines asap as you use the pattern, you wait with torpedoes to point to an exposed shield facing.

So in order to drop mines, I would have to burn my spike potential...essecially I wouldnt use mines with that as spikes > mines.

Does not matter in PvE tho, most targets in STF have no shields.
Commander
# 6
08-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
That wouldn't work in practical use. While you usually need to drop mines asap as you use the pattern, you wait with torpedoes to point to an exposed shield facing.

So in order to drop mines, I would have to burn my spike potential...essecially I wouldnt use mines with that as spikes > mines.

Does not matter in PvE tho, most targets in STF have no shields.
What I meant, and was not clear on, what about making it so one power affected both, but the readiness of the power on each weapon was separate?

Ex.

You hit Torpedo-Disperal Pattern Hybrid power, your torpedoes and mines are now charged. You choose to deploy the mines, the torpedoes remain loaded with the power for 30 seconds or until you choose to fire them.