Captain
# 11
08-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupguy86 View Post
Someones impulse buying. Apparently alot of someones because Cryptic is reporting record sales.
You must have better access to Cryptic's financials then I do. I'm a PWRD shareholder and sill only get PW overall corporate breakdowns rather then per-company breakdowns.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
08-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I get 6,000 free Zen every single year - and there are thousands of us LTSers who are also getting 6,000 free Zen per year. And since most of us LTSers have reached our cash break even point 6+ months ago it is basically free. And I know a lot of people who are currently using their Stipends to buy Dilithium for Fleetbases right now. So yes, there is a lot of free Zen in the system.
Money changed hands, period. They don't give you and me and everyone else that stipend out of the kindness of their hearts.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Commander
# 13
08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
I mean, 2500 Zen is like 25 dollars, right? Holy cow, thats kinda crazy. I could see 5 bucks or so, maybe 7, but 25? I could be wrong, isn't 100 zen=1 dollar?
Not Really crazy atall, they need to make money to contribute to funding this game, thats if players are willing to spend the cash to get point, and many players just save up dilithium to convert to points. i myself have managed to save enough dilithium to get the galaxy x. Payed players get 500 points a month aswell so there are always ways to not spend real world cash on ships.
Captain
# 14
08-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Man hours? Really? Most of these ships were made well before PWE got their greedy little hands on STO. There's NO man hours in them, certainly not now. They've more than made back any money spent on making the ships.

It's greed, plain and simple.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Career Officer
# 15
08-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Outside of the Aquarius, these were already existing ships. All they did was change the data over the previous models.

And even with the 500 Zen monthly stripened, these Fleet ships really are too high a price in my books. Why? For starters, these ships are not permanent unlocks, and if you lose it, you have to pay again for a replacement. Second, they are character-only, compared to C-store ships which are account-wide. So even with the discount, you still have to pay $5 per character to get a replacement. Third, Fleet ships are basically an extra console and a few extra buffs.

So if you put all this together, to me it just doesn't seem a wise buy. I rather stay with my old Tier 5 ships or Tier 5 C-store ships. Though it does seem appealing to fly ships like the Sabre and Nova at endgame without being a liability (which unfortunately, their C-store ships don't give you the $20 discount, ah...... expensive character only ship).
Captain
# 16
08-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
Man hours? Really? Most of these ships were made well before PWE got their greedy little hands on STO. There's NO man hours in them, certainly not now. They've more than made back any money spent on making the ships.

It's greed, plain and simple.
How about money to pay the devs to fix the bugs you are whining about? How about writers and programs to develop new content for you to play? What about the janitor that cleans and stocks the Cryptic Studios bathroom to make sure that the devs don't get sick?

They are not making a profit just for one product. They are making an ENTIRE GAME! They make one product or service and sell it to support all the other services with it.

Unless you are suggesting that Cryptic starts charging 150 zen per patch...
Captain
# 17
08-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Yep.

Nothing micro here.

Its either food fo a week for 2-3 people or a new ship that could be made pointless a month later. hm...

Tis to high an entry barrier cryptic, go learn something from other games. Or steam.
Career Officer
# 18
08-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsxd View Post
yep.

Nothing Micro Here.

Its Either Food Fo A Week For 2-3 People Or A New Ship That Could Be Made Pointless A Month Later. Hm...

Tis To High An Entry Barrier Cryptic, Go Learn Something From Other Games. Or Steam.
^^ ^^ ^^ ^
Career Officer
# 19
08-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Another factor is that with the exception of fleet ships, all of the cstore ships are single purchase-account unlocks only. So they only ever get 25 dollars from you for that ship.

Imagine your local green grocer could only ever sell you one melon. Sure you could then claim another melon as a replacement when you ate the one you had before - but how does the green grocer stay in business?

They could probably sell them for cheaper each if they were single unlocks and they were assured that you had some reason to buy them again and again and again.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 20
08-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Cryptic tested many time how much they can charge for a ship.
The result was that there are enough guys out there who willfully pay 20+ bugs for an single In-Game Federation ship. No matthe what it cost, the Federation playerbase will buy it anyway seems to be Cryptic's motto since F2P launch.
Closed Thread