Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,200
# 21
08-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupguy86 View Post
The official story from Cryptic is that the cost of the ship is related to the cost to create it and the man-hours put in by the DEVs.
That's funny. The Fleet Qin is exactly the same as the regular Qin, with just an added console and some spec changes. Same with the Fleet Escort. If they only sold one of each, they would have recouped their costs.
__________________________________
STO Forum member since before February 2010.
STO Academy's excellent skill planner here: Link
I actually avoid success entirely. It doesn't get me what I want, and the consequences for failure are slim. -- markhawman
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 573
# 22
08-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
That's funny. The Fleet Qin is exactly the same as the regular Qin, with just an added console and some spec changes. Same with the Fleet Escort. If they only sold one of each, they would have recouped their costs.
That assumes those are the only costs they are recouping..... since 99.9% of the game is free, the costs of everything else in the game become part of the development costs of things like new ships.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,247
# 23
08-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I think folks forget that it isn't just recouping Their initial costs that causes the high prices...

It's an on-going process..., the servers running seven days a week, twenty four hours a day...

They and the power they use have to be paid for, the daily expenses and wages have to also be paid long after a particular digital ship is released.

The fact that They can actually be F2P, is a wonder in my book.

I guess They are lucky that so many Star Trek fans are willing to part with their money so easily...

I would..., if I could afford it just to help keep the game going.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 08-06-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 433
# 24
08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
Man hours? Really? Most of these ships were made well before PWE got their greedy little hands on STO. There's NO man hours in them, certainly not now. They've more than made back any money spent on making the ships.

It's greed, plain and simple.

Do you know how software sales work? You make something once then you sell it forever. Microsoft has sold 525 million copies of windows 7. Should they stop charging money for it?

No, that money they make off the software goes into other develompment and support. Just like Cryptic.

$25 bucks isn't too much considering the Ship is your character in space. Its not just a simple mount or gear. You are your ship in 50% of the game. And add in zen you can farm and sales its not too much to ask to keep the game running.

Last edited by kingdoxy; 08-06-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 144
# 25
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
For someone my age and status it is both amusing and terrifying the fact that some people are ready to WORK for 50 cents per hour, and think they play a GAME for FREE.

But that's exactly what happens when you grind dilithium.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,702
# 26
08-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sortof View Post
For someone my age and status it is both amusing and terrifying the fact that some people are ready to WORK for 50 cents per hour, and think they play a GAME for FREE.

But that's exactly what happens when you grind dilithium.
I disagree. You earn Dilithium simply by playing your characters. Even if the game didn't give me Dilithium I'd still be playing my VA every day: I'd still be doing STFs, or Dailies, or whatever. At VA there's only so many things you can do, and almost all of them earn you Dilitium.

So while you might call it "work" I call it simply doing STFs to earn end-game gear, and making some Dilithium on the side. While you might call it work I simply calling doing Dailies because I'm bored with STFs at the moment, and making some Dilithium on the side. While you might call it work I simply call it doing some PvP or Warzones, and making some Dilithium on the side.

I'm simply playing my VAs and Cryptic is giving me Dilithium/Zen to do so. It's not like there's 100 other things to do with a VA that don't earn you Dilithium.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,281
# 27
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
I think folks forget that it isn't just recouping Their initial costs that causes the high prices...

It's an on-going process..., the servers running seven days a week, twenty four hours a day...

They and the power they use have to be paid for, the daily expenses and wages have to also be paid long after a particular digital ship is released.

The fact that They can actually be F2P, is a wonder in my book.

I guess They are lucky that so many Star Trek fans are willing to part with their money so easily...

I would..., if I could afford it just to help keep the game going.
Don't forget the building lease in Silicon Valley as well as competitive wages to encourage workers to move to the Valley.
___________________________
@Commadore_Bob; Joined Jul 2009; That post count + 20,000
Click on my sig to view Family-Friendly Youtube Videos
I also now have a logo shop. Click my sig!
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 138
# 28
08-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
I just would hope that if you were a gold member maybe you got some kind of discount, etc, thats all. I'm just saying that 25 bucks is nuts, 15 too, but hey, thats me, I'm playing pretty casually.
I kind of agree with you on that. Especially if your a "gold" member still paying and not an LTS like me. You putting out what $15 a month for "gold" and guys/girls like me who got LTS crapped out somewhere between 200 to 300. Plus, most gold and LTS still are buying from the C-store. I could see maybe a 20% C-store discount for gold and LTS. Plus that may be a little more incentive for people to go gold or LTS than some title or combadge.
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 92
# 29
08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupguy86 View Post
Someones impulse buying. Apparently alot of someones because Cryptic is reporting record sales.
Well, I am definitely one of those impulse buyers. I bought the armitage this month, and after watching the episode of voyager regarding the uss prometheus, I decided to buy the multi vector advanced escort as well. Both are great ships, but since we can only fly one ship at a time, I should have waited. I could have at least given myself the time to break in each ship. Patience and common sense is a virtue I wish I had.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,264
# 30
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
I mean, 2500 Zen is like 25 dollars, right? Holy cow, thats kinda crazy. I could see 5 bucks or so, maybe 7, but 25? I could be wrong, isn't 100 zen=1 dollar?
Yup, that's why Cryptic had it $1 = 80 points. Made stuff seem cheaper. Now even a 6 yr old can do the math.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM.