Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
I've heard that some ships can be found in lockboxes, is this true, and are they are bonused/powerful as the ones you have to spend 10, 15, or even, bloody hell, 25 bucks to get?
Banned
# 2
08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
I've heard that some ships can be found in lockboxes, is this true, and are they are bonused/powerful as the ones you have to spend 10, 15, or even, bloody hell, 25 bucks to get?
Grind PvE for 6+ hours a day for over a year to gain that tipped power scale.
Career Officer
# 3
08-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
With EC. And yes someone who played the game for a few must know how to grind the EC to get it. If not, he's either dumb or lazy.
Banned
# 4
08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctraiderz View Post
With EC. And yes someone who played the game for a few must know how to grind the EC to get it. If not, he's either dumb or lazy.
Or just not like PvEing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaishinlegion View Post
Or just not like PvEing.
You don't need to play a lot of PvE to get millions of EC with minimal effort. Doffing solves all of that. A quick 1 mil investment, which is easily made from a day's worth of STF runs, can quickly snowball into ~3mil/day profit. At current rates, that'd mean you could buy an Orb Weaver in under a month. And that's just logging in every four or so hours to buy/sell a few things, not even trying to "play the market."
Banned
# 6
08-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehen View Post
You don't need to play a lot of PvE to get millions of EC with minimal effort. Doffing solves all of that. A quick 1 mil investment, which is easily made from a day's worth of STF runs, can quickly snowball into ~3mil/day profit. At current rates, that'd mean you could buy an Orb Weaver in under a month. And that's just logging in every four or so hours to buy/sell a few things, not even trying to "play the market."
DOFFs =/= shooting human enemies, therefore it is PvE.

Playing the market =/= shooting human enemies, therefore it is PvE.

They're both playing the UI, not the game.

They're both not fun.

They're both not playing a competitive or enjoyable game.

STFs or other PvE missions, same difference. Not enjoyable, yet it is (among) the only means of gaining advantage in the game.

Can I get lots of EC? Sure, got my Mk XII ACC3 weapons somehow after all.

Or rather my 6 year old son did, because I was on my second monitor watching Netflix and PvE is retarded easy, requiring no skill whatsoever and was confident his spamming my spacebar would win the day.

Do I enjoy it, and do I believe a game you are meant to enjoy should intentionally subject you to things you do NOT enjoy just to get ahead?

No.

To be powerful in PvP, I should PvP. I should not have to PvE to be competitive in PvP.

This is why I am moving on to games that actually reward the player, instead of punish them.

Last edited by hakaishinlegion; 08-05-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there. All that stuff on the exchange? People are selling those. I'm sorry if you only consider shooting people to be the only source of potential conflict/game between actual human beings. And more to the point, I was simply suggesting it doesn't require a "grind" to obtain millions of ECs, which was your point.

So to the OP's question...no. It doesn't require grinding to obtain the lockbox ships if you're willing to set aside maybe three minutes each time you play to check up on the market and buy/sell items obtained from whatever you might be doing. Of course, CStore ships are another issue entirely, but those mostly stem from taking longer due to the dilithium refinement cap more than actual grinding. 8k dilithium can be had in three-ish STF runs, depending on your drops and time of day (i.e., the event).
Banned
# 8
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehen View Post
That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there. All that stuff on the exchange? People are selling those. I'm sorry if you only consider shooting people to be the only source of potential conflict/game between actual human beings. And more to the point, I was simply suggesting it doesn't require a "grind" to obtain millions of ECs, which was your point.

So to the OP's question...no. It doesn't require grinding to obtain the lockbox ships if you're willing to set aside maybe three minutes each time you play to check up on the market and buy/sell items obtained from whatever you might be doing. Of course, CStore ships are another issue entirely, but those mostly stem from taking longer due to the dilithium refinement cap more than actual grinding. 8k dilithium can be had in three-ish STF runs, depending on your drops and time of day (i.e., the event).
Wait a second, let me see if I get this straight before I berate you...

...you're honestly comparing the exchange to PvP?!

Really?

REALLY?!?!

Wtf?!

Are you THAT much of a moron?

Do I honestly REALLY have to answer that directly?

Does ANYONE else here see the fallacy of this comparison, or am I completely surrounded by morons?

Not needing to "grind for money" was NOT my point.

My point was needing to do ANYTHING but BLOWING UP HUMANS, IE doing something I ENJOY in a GAME, to progress instead of being FORCED to do something I DO NOT ENJOY in order to get ahead in the game mode that I DO enjoy.

I want you to look above you. See that airplane way up there?

Yeah I know, it's pretty high up there.

That is the point I tried to make.

Tried and failed. You're too much of a moron to read and comprehend simple English.

Last edited by hakaishinlegion; 08-05-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-05-2012, 05:49 PM
No, I was merely splitting hairs when you said the exchange was PvE. In its nature as a purely player-driven spectacle, just as PvP is, the exchange is closer to PvP than PvE. No need to rant and rave in your sentence-is-each-a-paragraph way, nor insult my intelligence as you are so akin to doing. I'm truly, very sorry you thrive only in PvP, but methinks you purchased the wrong game if that is your jolly.

This thread is about buying lockbox ships without the OP utilizing Zen. Since PvP doesn't give you any real reward outside of any other FPS out there, he is left with PvE. Regardless of your stance on PvE, that is what he must do. Yet, in your argument you claimed that it was a grind. I declared otherwise, and you completely ignored my premise of the action being completely different from grinding if done correctly.

We get it. You don't like PvE. But stop declaring it with lungs filled with air from the tops of every building. This thread doesn't need your incessant whining about the PvE content this game is centered around, especially since the OP's question never required input as to the viability or status of PvP in STO.

Getting back to the OP, try this:

1.) Strange Artifacts sell for ~800k on the exchange. Don't bother buying them @ 900k, they generally rise and fall by 100k throughout the day. Still, if you need to buy them @ 900k, it just means a bit less profit.

2.) Each Strange Artifact must be powered by one of each rare particle trace, which range in price from 10k to 50k+ each. If you're in a fleet, see if you're able to withdraw some from the fleet bank (if there are any in there, that is). This is what you need to pay attention to, as you have a ~600k profit margin to work with. As long as the particles aren't costing you too much (and they shouldn't), you'll walk away with a pretty penny.

3.) The mission takes 4 hrs to complete, but has no cooldown. The reward for each powering is a Powered Artifact that can sell for upwards of 1.5mil, depending on the market. So, on a weekend, you can easily run 4 each day to net you ~6mil EC...which is about 2.4mil profit. Not bad for a day's work, no?

4.) Conversely, if you're feeling lucky and have sufficiently-traited Doffs, you can run the Fabricate Console from Alien Artifact mission via your engineering deck doff that hangs out in the warp core room. The Mk XII consoles obtained from this mission are random in type and quality...which means you can get some green consoles that will only net you ~10k EC. But, you might get a few purple consoles that can sell for 30mil+. It's a gamble, so I'd really suggest just flipping Stranges to Powereds instead of playing yet another lottery.

5.) While you will have to buy the majority of your Strange Artifacts, you can run the Negotiate Additional Commodities (or something like that) mission that has a 3 day cooldown. If you run this when it is active (check the doff sheet), this nets you a free Powered (once powered, that is) Artifact that can give you enough profit to fund your rare particle trace buying, which again, is the only thing you need to worry about for the most part.

That'll get you a good amount of EC everyday for about 15 minutes of total work, most of which is running around if you're not currently by an exchange. Simple, quick, and lots of profit. Yay!
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
08-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaishinlegion View Post
To be powerful in PvP, I should PvP. I should not have to PvE to be competitive in PvP.

This is why I am moving on to games that actually reward the player, instead of punish them.
Well, door's that way. GTFO. Stopped listening to you when you started to insult people and scream rather than logically defend your opinions, which is all your 'points' are. You are welcome to hold them, but calling others morons for pointing out the logical flaw in your argument is pointless.

To the OP: There are methods of obtaining "box ships" without having to spend any $$$. There are methods of obtaining ZEN without having to spend any of your own $$$. Both require a large amount of time. Gathering EC has been gone over. You can also gather dilithium (from dailies, boxes bought using Encrypted Data Chips from STF's, dilithium from doff missions and the like, as well as missions you run) and convert said dilithium into ZEN directly.

I'd determine what exactly you're looking for -- review the ships on STO wiki stats wise, ask people how they fly -- and then determine your course of action. It's likely to be quite boring, I warn you, but it can be done and I know at least one person who flies several C-store ships and owns 3 box ships and has not spent any of his own money to do so.